Are QBs really that important?

Yes, of course they are. But after watching a couple of games yesterday it occurred to me that Seattle had the better QB situation, but his team was beat by a QB with a broken thumb on his throwing hand. Of course, the Ram's great defense made a big difference, but still.

More shockingly, an ex-CFL QB stayed in the game with one of the best (if not the best). Again, this CFL QB got to play against a Todd Bowles defense, but for a while that game was pretty close.

I believe that the QB is really important, but I think it shows that a very good team with a great defense and good supporting staff on offense can be very competitive against a team with a much better QB. QB is the most important position, but having a great team around him appears to be just as important and enough to win, or almost win, post season games with a less talented or an injured QB.

This is why I think if we can truly get a boat load of picks we should trade out of #2 and then even again. I no longer think Sam will overcome his issues here, but 2022 (or even 2023) is really a better time to draft a QB.

Let the rocks or tomatoes fly...

47 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Yes, of course they are. But after watching a couple of games yesterday it occurred to me that Seattle had the better QB situation, but his team was beat by a QB with a broken thumb on his throwing hand. Of course, the Ram's great defense made a big difference, but still.

More shockingly, an ex-CFL QB stayed in the game with one of the best (if not the best). Again, this CFL QB got to play against a Todd Bowles defense, but for a while that game was pretty close.

I believe that the QB is really important, but I think it shows that a very good team with a great defense and good supporting staff on offense can be very competitive against a team with a much better QB. QB is the most important position, but having a great team around him appears to be just as important and enough to win, or almost win, post season games with a less talented or an injured QB.

This is why I think if we can truly get a boat load of picks we should trade out of #2 and then even again. I no longer think Sam will overcome his issues here, but 2022 (or even 2023) is really a better time to draft a QB.

Imagine the Seahawks without Wilson?  The WFT was able to keep up because of the play by Heinicke.  The problem is, what if we aren’t drafting in the top 5 to get a QB in 2022 or beyond?  We saw how costly it was just to trade up a few spots to get Sam.

Yes, QBs are important.  Just look at the teams that are in the playoffs every year.  Patriots for the last 20 years.  Brady leaves, and they miss the playoffs.  He goes to Tampa and they end a 12 year drought.  Josh Allen becomes a Pro Bowler, Bills end their drought.  Chiefs, Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Seahawks.  Elite QBs and playoff appearances just about every year.  

I want one of those QBs who makes us a contender for a decade, not just a season or two and then fade into irrelevance.

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The Rams probably won't be advancing much further. Seattle's problem is they have a sh*t oline that has been covered up by RW's scrambling ability. 

Hmmmmm, I wonder if two 1's and a 3rd could have helped fix that OL?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

The importance of a QBs relevance is over the course of more than one game.  

• Upvote 3
13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You can have success in this league without a terrific QB but you can't win on a regular basis over the years and keep making the playoffs without one.

13 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i love when people talk about needing a QB to win the SB....ill take being 9-7 or better every year for now.

you can do that by building a solid team first.

There are 100 roads to a championship and 95 of them start with a good QB. It can be done other ways but extremely rare and difficult.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

The first step to winning a ring is getting to playoffs consistent. Teams with excellent QBs have a shot every year.

Exactly

A loss, an upset loss at that, doesnt change it

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly

A loss, an upset loss at that, doesnt change it

Mark Sanchez beat Tom Brady in playoffs once. To wit, QBs not important.

• Haha 1

my point is that you need a good/great QB, but we should take the trade stock if it is enough, and then draft the replacement in 2022 or 2023. If Darnold is that bad we will be in top 5 next year as well. Also, with the trade items we have, we should have 3 firsts in 2022 and two firsts in 2023. Build the team, draft the QB and have him join a quality team where most of the offense knows the plays - then take a run on the QBs rookie contract for the next 4 years.

We lose the first (not really lose, but can't pick a WR for example) and all the extra players and start the clock immediately on the new QB. At first everyone was like, you can't pass on Luck, I mean Darnold, I mean Trevor. But, Trevor is gone - yes, we can't go to the big show with Sam IMO, but lets build a team and then draft our next Wilson (2nd round), Mahomes (top 10), ...

4 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I used to think QB was the most important but I think that in reality QB is 1A and OL is 1B and depending on the surrounding team and offensive scheme OL or QB might be slightly more import

10 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Rule changes have made the game completley lopsided to passing offence. If you dont have a QB, you dont have SB team.

95% chance you don't have a SB team. There are exceptions but well, they are exceptions.

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I used to think QB was the most important but I think that in reality QB is 1A and OL is 1B and depending on the surrounding team and offensive scheme OL or QB might be slightly more import

16 of the last 20 SBs have been won by teams with HOF or HOF-bound QBs. And 19 of 20 by QBs who went to at least 1 pro bowl -- this is less controversial because some will debate whether some of these guys (e.g., Eli) will make the HOF. Flacco is the only exception and he is one of the best QBs to never have been to a single pro bowl. This is where my comment "there are 95 roads to a championship but 100 of them start with a good QB" comes from. 95% is 19 out of 20.

10 hours ago, Jet Life said:

We’ve been doing fine without one all these years, who needs one?

Lol exactly this is what I don't understand. In the past 50 years we have had a legit QB for what 4.5 of them (the half season being Favre)? Obviously there is some correlation.

The trenches are as important if not more important. Cleveland showing what a team invested in it's offensive line can do. We should have sign Conklin. I said as much as the time. 

Draft Sewell. Dominate. 

You need a smart game manager who can throw the route tree.  If you think you need Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes you're probably going to wait a long time to win.

This is a silly question IMO. Rams have the Hawks number, they are division rivals and know each others tendencies and weaknesses. The Rams are built to beat Seattle, dominant pass rush against a poor OLine.

QB is still easily the most important position. KC is favored to win it all again this year? Main reason is Mahomes.