Don't want to jump the gun on this but for discussion purposes...

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

I thought Mike LaFleur was mentioned as the OC handcuff to Saleh.  His current role is “passing game coordinator” so I just assumed it’s crossed his desk. 

They might not even have had the discussion, yet. And if they have, it's also reasonable they'd firewall off guys interviewing for other positions.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not so much advocating for a QB at 2...as much as it is just the only logical choice for JD to make. 

If he sticks with Sam and this team starts out 0-3 or 2-5 - There will be massive calls for JD's head - the turmoil will be overwhelming.  Especially if Fields or Wilson are playing well.

Draft a QB at 2 and you have a 2 year cushion instead of 3 weeks with Sam.

I'm not sure where JD's head in now but am close to certain it will end up with taking a QB at 2.

I agree with this.  The thing that worries me is that when Douglas was hired it was widely publicized that one of the reasons he took the job wa Darnold.   Of course he's had two seasons to watch Sam play.   Hasn't been good.   I just hope he's gotten over his infatuation

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not so much advocating for a QB at 2...as much as it is just the only logical choice for JD to make. 

If he sticks with Sam and this team starts out 0-3 or 2-5 - There will be massive calls for JD's head - the turmoil will be overwhelming.  Especially if Fields or Wilson are playing well.

Draft a QB at 2 and you have a 2 year cushion instead of 3 weeks with Sam.

I'm not sure where JD's head in now but am close to certain it will end up with taking a QB at 2.

I get that from a purely Joe D 'self-preservation' mindset. 

But unless we made some truly qualitative improvements on offense in free agency, I think it would be a really poor football decision to draft a rookie not named Trevor and play him behind this o-line, handing off to these RB's and throwing to these WR's.

These two things definitely need to be balanced, but I hope football decisions are prioritized by the guy with the six year contract and the solid league-wide reputation. 

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Ok? Great! I’m convinced now ?

Now please if you wouldn’t mind, can you:

-list of all the times you were incorrect? (Bet that list is longer)  

Question, do your intel post contain lines like; “this is just my sources opinion” , “not sure this will happen but this is what I’m hearing”? - I bet 99.9% of your intel post do 

^^ Do you leave your intel post with outs like these??

Wont piss down my leg and tell me it’s rain because you claim know some random toilet washer at florham park. 

Give me a break and no offense, I’m not just the type to believe backwards intel on the internet. I rather goto a conspiracy site ?‍♂️

then put them on ignore or don't read the threads.  why do you have to be such a jerk?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Point is people should just take the information at whatever value they deem appropriate to them and move on in my opinion. 

Exactly!  

Or maybe they want Douglas to post on here what he thinks about the HC search, free agency and the draft if we promise not to tell anyone!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Wether you keep Sam or not - you have to make massive upgrades to the offense.

With the cap space and the major draft picks - focusing solely on offense solves that problem.  

Start trying to spread the premium resources evenly to offense and defense and you'll end up being bad at both.  Fix one side of the ball now....

Sign the top two offensive linemen and the best WR you can in FA...

Draft offense with 2, 23 and 34 ..

Do whatever you want with defense after that...

I'll give you that if we can get at least one premier receiver and one premier offensive lineman, along with some 'role-player/supporting cast' free agents on offense - I can absolutely come around to the idea taking a quarterback and moving Sam. 

But if we don't, whether that's JD's philosophy ("never build a team through free agency") or because those higher echelon players don't want to come here, then it's irresponsible to draft a quarterback this year and play him next year - you're just throwing another talented prospect into a bad situation and expecting them to be Superman. 

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Ok? Great! I’m convinced now ?

Now please if you wouldn’t mind, can you:

-list of all the times you were incorrect? (Bet that list is longer) 

I have put my name to and shared information ~7 to 8 times.  I’m not trying to “humble brag” about that, for the record.  I just saying that I don’t put something out there unless I am sure that it’s going to happen, or get proof that it has already happened and is just waiting to become official.  So far, I can say that I haven’t been steered wrong. So no, the list is not “longer”.  If you want to nitpick, I was asked here if Mike Maccagnan’s job was on the line when Tony Pauline was reporting it and I said: “I haven’t heard anything imminent, but it’s possible because I know there is some building tension between him, Gase, and another member of the front office”.  Maccagnan was fired the next day.  I wasn’t wrong about it, because that’s exactly why he was fired, but I didn’t get to “break” that news.

Question, do your intel post contain lines like; “this is just my sources opinion” , “not sure this will happen but this is what I’m hearing”? - I bet 99.9% of your intel post do 

You would lose that bet, because the majority of them don’t.  Again, I don’t publicly share anything here unless I get a pretty definitive answer or piece of proof.  That being said, there are certain processes that are fluid and contain multiple things that can happen (coaching search, decision on the QB, draft, etc.) and I make sure to give all the specific scenarios I’ve been told so I’m not vague.

^^ Do you leave your intel post with outs like these??

No.

Wont piss down my leg and tell me it’s rain because you claim know some random toilet washer at florham park. 

Give me a break and no offense, I’m not just the type to believe backwards intel on the internet. I rather goto a conspiracy site 

?‍♂️

That’s fine.  Like I already said, believe what you want.  It’s no skin off my back.  In the last few weeks, I have already had a lot of what I recently said come to fruition so I’ll just let my track record speak for itself.

1 hour ago, Boynton Beach Jets said:

Assuming Bills win this coming weekend and the championship game when is the soonest Daboll can get a second interview?  Is it after championship game or after Super Bowl?

He’s free to. It comes down to his schedule. If he’s a finalist chances are Jets will try to visit him to ease the burden 

• Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, football guy said:

He’s free to. It comes down to his schedule. If he’s a finalist chances are Jets will try to visit him to ease the burden 

Enjoy your posts!  If Saleh is the current frontrunner, and remains so after his interview today, do you (and/or your sources) get the impression that the Jets would be inclined to make him an offer right away, without completing a full second round of interviews, to prevent the other interested teams from striking first?

On 1/11/2021 at 12:04 PM, football guy said:

Correct. What I do know is that Kyle was extremely high on Sam as a prospect in 2018 and he had very high remarks for him this year. That could’ve been coaches speak for all we know, but people in the know (agents, coaches) believe it to be true and suggest Sam would be a perfect fit in that offense. 

Does that have any relevance to what Saleh would do? Nope. Saleh is his own man and may approach it differently. All I know is that a lot of smart, informed people think he’d be a good fit for that offense and that Kyle Shanahan likes him. Everything else is just dot connecting and assumptions (i.e. Kyle’s offense is LaFleur’s and Kyle is close with LaFleur/Saleh hence his opinion on Sam may influence their decision). 

As far as my spin on it: one thing to keep in mind with Saleh/LaFleur is that when they joined the 49ers, they joined an organization who consciously decided against taking a QB in their first year, passing on Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson in favor of trading down and taking Solomon Thomas . Their QBs entering the season were Brian Hoyer and CJ Beathard before acquiring Garoppolo mid season. Having seen the result of that decision, would it impact Saleh’s view? No idea... just speculation at this point. 

I concur Counselor ??

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

One thing to keep in mind about a potential Saleh hire... 

If Saleh comes here, he's not expected to be a coordinator with a HC title. He'll be involved with the defense in oversight and will help build the scheme, but will likely give the day-to-day responsibilities to his coordinator. The one schematic he'll absolutely bring over: cover 3 press (zone) coverage. The rest of the defensive scheme would likely be predicated on personnel (SF ran both wide-9 and 4-3 under/over hybrid during Saleh's time there). 

Conveniently enough, Aaron Glenn also coaches a lot of press cover 3 down in New Orleans. I don't think the Jets would force a coordinator by any means, but the Saints' have a similar coverage scheme and they have some commonality in that Glenn coached on the same Cleveland Browns staff as Kyle Shanahan and presumptive OC hire Mike LaFleur in 2014. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Glenn were hired to coordinate the defense. Could also see Saleh reaching out to Todd Walsh as his DL coach/run game coordinator once he's officially fired (if he's fired). 

Your username should be Jets Insider.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

If Saleh comes here, he's not expected to be a coordinator with a HC title. He'll be involved with the defense in oversight and will help build the scheme, but will likely give the day-to-day responsibilities to his coordinator. The one schematic he'll absolutely bring over: cover 3 press (zone) coverage. The rest of the defensive scheme would likely be predicated on personnel (SF ran both wide-9 and 4-3 under/over hybrid during Saleh's time there). 

Conveniently enough, Aaron Glenn also coaches a lot of press cover 3 down in New Orleans. I don't think the Jets would force a coordinator by any means, but the Saints' have a similar coverage scheme and they have some commonality in that Glenn coached on the same Cleveland Browns staff as Kyle Shanahan and presumptive OC hire Mike LaFleur in 2014. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Glenn were hired to coordinate the defense. Could also see Saleh reaching out to Todd Walsh as his DL coach/run game coordinator once he's officially fired (if he's fired). 

Any chance Dennard Wilson or Brant Boyer are retained on the new staff.
From my observations of them they're good coaches

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Any chance Dennard Wilson or Brant Boyer are retained on the new staff.
From my observations of them they're good coaches

I'd really hope those kind of decisions are left 100% to the new head coach (whether that's Saleh or anyone else), and not anything the team is going to try to push on any candidate.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is great stuff.  Wondering how saleh would view an offensive scheme, and whether that would favor darnold or wilson who i think is well suited for a quick tempo offense like the 49ers have.