Don't want to jump the gun on this but for discussion purposes...

4 hours ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I believe until they are eliminated 

Not for Jet selfish reasons but the NFL needs to figure out how to make coaching vacancies fair for all teams and candidates.   Unless there is some under the table deal in place, often teams cannot wait until after a team is eliminated to hire a coach.  And a candidate should not be at a disadvantage either for coaching opportunities.  While I do understand that no one wants one of their coaches on interviews while preparing for a playoff game, it still unfair.

Come up wish a solution that is fair and transparent to all.

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

Wonder if people will start to let reality sink in now... 

"I would be surprised if Sam Darnold is not the quarterback on opening day" - Schefter on ESPN

The thing to me is why would they commit so early to Sam? What has he done to deserve that? I'm sure by the time the Jets can interview and workout the draft prospects things will change... 

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

The thing to me is why would they commit so early to Sam? What has he done to deserve that? I'm sure by the time the Jets can interview and workout the draft prospects things will change... 

They aren’t committing to anything. I think they’ll go through the process but ultimately both the coach and the GM believe in building around the position, Douglas is a big believer in Sam, and they believe LaFleur can tap into his potential. If Wilson blows them away maybe they change their mind, but going into the offseason the expectation should be Darnold

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Jets will trade down with the Carolina Panthers, possibly 49ers. Wouldn’t it be ironic if the 3rd round picks they got for Saleh getting hired were traded to the Jets in a package for #2? 

Ultimately see Darnold coming back

I must say, I was very much “Darnold has to go, draft a QB” and was stringent in it. 

however, I feel like all your perspective on it (in terms of how the front office, or NFL GMs in general) see him and how they see how the roster would work has brought me along where I can accept not drafting the QB now, and running with Darnold again under a Shanahan system. So cheers for that! 

as for the Panthers/49ers craic, is that based on stuff you’ve heard (like, you’ve heard they trying to move up) or just personal opinion/guess work? 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, football guy said:

"I would be surprised if Sam Darnold is not the quarterback on opening day" - Schefter on ESPN

I am fine with this.  If qualified football people like Douglas, Saleh, and LaFleur think Darnold can be turned around with a functional system and a set of playmakers, bring it on.

The haul we can get for #2 without worrying about a QB in the mix can turn us around much faster.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, football guy said:

Kind of wish it it would have been left up in the air longer..  was hoping to see these guys heads explode on draft night when a trade was announced.

Hope Arthur Smith left with a good impression as perhaps he'll be the one convincing whoever the next Falcons GM is to give up a haul to move up and grab Wilson.

39 minutes ago, morny said:

I must say, I was very much “Darnold has to go, draft a QB” and was stringent in it. 

however, I feel like all your perspective on it (in terms of how the front office, or NFL GMs in general) see him and how they see how the roster would work has brought me along where I can accept not drafting the QB now, and running with Darnold again under a Shanahan system. So cheers for that! 

as for the Panthers/49ers craic, is that based on stuff you’ve heard (like, you’ve heard they trying to move up) or just personal opinion/guess work? 

Heard Carolina. The two finalists for that GM job are close to Joe Douglas, especially Monti, which could get the ball rolling on brokering a deal. The owner (Tepper) has given Rhule freedom to do whatever he wants, but I'm sure he wants a QB. If they don't trade up I think Trey Lance is their guy so we'll see.

49ers I haven't heard but I just think it makes sense. They're 1 piece away, and that piece is the QB. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

I am fine with this.  If qualified football people like Douglas, Saleh, and LaFleur think Darnold can be turned around with a functional system and a set of playmakers, bring it on.

The haul we can get for #2 without worrying about a QB in the mix can turn us around much faster.

SORE I

“Adam” Gaze is fired!  First choice Saleh is hired!  Bills win their first playoff game!

Will SORE I ever be right?  EVER?

218186FD-619C-4E7F-B2C6-E30DC467B60F.jpeg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, football guy said:

Heard Carolina. The two finalists for that GM job are close to Joe Douglas, especially Monti, which could get the ball rolling on brokering a deal. The owner (Tepper) has given Rhule freedom to do whatever he wants, but I'm sure he wants a QB. If they don't trade up I think Trey Lance is their guy so we'll see.

49ers I haven't heard but I just think it makes sense. They're 1 piece away, and that piece is the QB. 

Maybe you and @Mogglezcould verify something I heard last year.......Rhule withdrew because he didn't like Sam as the QB. The coach forcing stuff was Jets PR cover.

14 hours ago, football guy said:

They aren’t committing to anything. I think they’ll go through the process but ultimately both the coach and the GM believe in building around the position, Douglas is a big believer in Sam, and they believe LaFleur can tap into his potential. If Wilson blows them away maybe they change their mind, but going into the offseason the expectation should be Darnold

Just another small angle here. Since this is LaFlauer's first NFL OC opportunity and to call plays, perhaps the thought is go with Sam for a year and see what happens. It will allow LaFluer to work with a 3 year QB who has a year of experience in primarily the same system compared to going with a rookie QB and OC/playcaller.  

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Maybe you and @Mogglezcould verify something I heard last year.......Rhule withdrew because he didn't like Sam as the QB. The coach forcing stuff was Jets PR cover.

Then why would he even interview?  And especially to go that far along in the interview process?  Everyone knew Darnold wasn't going anywhere. 

• Upvote 1