Jump to content

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Note to self. 

Self do not mess with this guy. 

Congrats 

Strength is actually a poor indicator of fighting ability.

 

But when you combine it with Combatives/BJJ training, LE Experience, and working the streets for almost 3 decades...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Competed in my first PL meet in 3 years, forgot how much fun it is, and how much of a grind it can be. 

 

Silvered in my Division:

Squat 445

Bench 352

Deadlift 535

1333 Total.  Not bad for an old guy...lol!!

20210110_173203.thumb.jpg.bddfa6ee3db67952c4aeb6bf20c8a396.jpg

 

I'm on the left. The guy with me is James Walker, Holds Masters National Record for Bench Press. Dude benches 400 at 61.

Congrats.

I could use some advice, though.

I slightly tweaked my back on a deadlift a little over a month ago -

Any advice on frequency/recovery?

My bodyweight hovers around 185lbs and I got up to 350 on the DL in November, but I tweaked something in my mid-back @ 315 lbs. I think was an idiot for doing a heavy-weight squat day followed by a heavy-weight DL day - pandemic boredom. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Congrats.

I could use some advice, though.

I slightly tweaked my back on a deadlift a little over a month ago -

Any advice on frequency/recovery?

My bodyweight hovers around 185lbs and I got up to 350 on the DL in November, but I tweaked something in my mid-back @ 315 lbs. I think was an idiot for doing a heavy-weight squat day followed by a heavy-weight DL day - pandemic boredom. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

I need a day to chill. Will address tomorrow.  I love the sport and love to help other lifters.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Strength is actually a poor indicator of fighting ability.

 

But when you combine it with Combatives/BJJ training, LE Experience, and working the streets for almost 3 decades...

A few months ago I was rolling with a world class PL dude that is a staple at Gold’s  and built like a truck. With guys like that a lot of experienced people tend to shy away from them because if the guy gets spazzy it can be a very dangerous situation, for others it can be a big bruise to the ego if the guy mauls you. It was his first week ever trying martial arts and he was friendly enough so I figured what the hell, it’ll be a nice little test. After about 45 seconds of playing around I had him in an arm bar, broke his grip and went to straighten the arm, and he literally just...flexed his bicep and held us there. Then he curled his arm and for a second lifted my butt off the mat. I just let go,  started dying of laughter, and high fived the guy.  There is not much I haven't seen in the gym at this point but that was a first. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A few months ago I was rolling with a world class PL dude that is a staple at Gold’s  and built like a truck. With guys like that a lot of experienced people tend to shy away from them because if the guy gets spazzy it can be a very dangerous situation, for others it can be a big bruise to the ego if the guy mauls you. It was his first week ever trying martial arts and he was friendly enough so I figured what the hell, it’ll be a nice little test. After about 45 seconds of playing around I had him in an arm bar, broke his grip and went to straighten the arm, and he literally just...flexed his bicep and held us there. Then he curled his arm and for a second lifted my butt off the mat. I just let go,  started dying of laughter, and high fived the guy.  There is not much I haven't seen in the gym at this point but that was a first. 

A buddy of mine at work is a pretty legit badass, BJJ, SWAT Medic, Formerly a Navy Rescue Swimmer....he snuck up while I was sitting at the table in the Firehouse and put me in a hold. I just stood up with him on my back and told him I would just fall on him.  LOL. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A few months ago I was rolling with a world class PL dude that is a staple at Gold’s  and built like a truck. With guys like that a lot of experienced people tend to shy away from them because if the guy gets spazzy it can be a very dangerous situation, for others it can be a big bruise to the ego if the guy mauls you. It was his first week ever trying martial arts and he was friendly enough so I figured what the hell, it’ll be a nice little test. After about 45 seconds of playing around I had him in an arm bar, broke his grip and went to straighten the arm, and he literally just...flexed his bicep and held us there. Then he curled his arm and for a second lifted my butt off the mat. I just let go,  started dying of laughter, and high fived the guy.  There is not much I haven't seen in the gym at this point but that was a first. 

Haha. I saw something similar in my gym. A friend was rolling with this guy we worked with (guy was jacked). My friend put the guy in an arm bar and he basically flicked him off. It was crazy haha. No technique, just brute strength. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

A buddy of mine at work is a pretty legit badass, BJJ, SWAT Medic, Formerly a Navy Rescue Swimmer....he snuck up while I was sitting at the table in the Firehouse and put me in a hold. I just stood up with him on my back and told him I would just fall on him.  LOL. 

 

4 hours ago, Drums said:

Haha. I saw something similar in my gym. A friend was rolling with this guy we worked with (guy was jacked). My friend put the guy in an arm bar and he basically flicked him off. It was crazy haha. No technique, just brute strength. 

I have a general rule of thumb that I stick to for anyone with more than 25-30 pounds on me and/or dudes that are jacked. Stay on top, get to the back, and generally no submissions off my back; so no armbars off my back or triangles, reason being to avoid getting potentially stacked by someone that much bigger and/or powerful (huge injury risk). I try my best to keep it to chokes from the rear or in mount only but if it's someone that knows how/when to tap I'll grab a leg if the right position presents itself also. With this dude I abandoned that for the arm because I knew he didn't know about stacking someone and he was also being super calm and cool (which is generally my experience in a new person that has been a champion in something else). sh*t was hysterical.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

 

I have a general rule of thumb that I stick to for anyone with more than 25-30 pounds on me and/or dudes that are jacked. Stay on top, get to the back, and generally no submissions off my back; so no armbars off my back or triangles, reason being to avoid getting potentially stacked by someone that much bigger and/or powerful (huge injury risk). I try my best to keep it to chokes from the rear or in mount only but if it's someone that knows how/when to tap I'll grab a leg if the right position presents itself also. With this dude I abandoned that for the arm because I knew he didn't know about stacking someone and he was also being super calm and cool (which is generally my experience in a new person that has been a champion in something else). sh*t was hysterical.  

In real world terms, I may be an "old guy", but I'm 6'2 280ish on a good day. ANYONE actually willing to fight me, I will not fight. That's just a person that's either crazy, psychotic, or the guy is a retired SOF type. Regardless of training/skill or lack thereof, anyone who would willingly want to fight me gets a Mozambique Drill and I deal with the consequences later. Not kidding. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...