Watch the bears closely...

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I have to agree, not going to find a good qb at 20 or later. It's not like there are any examples of good QBs in this game or the NFC playoffs picked on or after 20 overall. 

Drew Brees: round 2, pick 32

Russell Wilson: round 3, pick 75

Aaron Rodgers: round 1, pick 24

Tom Brady: round 6, pick 199

Lamar Jackson, 32nd overall?

24 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

good luck getting a qb as the last piece of the puzzle when you’re drafting early 20s

You know Watson, Mahomes, Jackson and Allen were all taken by teams who were picking in the 20s?

• Upvote 4
6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Bears literally did what you want us to do.  They used massive resources to go up and get a QB, they got the wrong one.

The Bears have gotten to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and if you make the playoffs you have a chance.

I want us to draft where we are slotted, not have to trade up

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

Sure, make the one in a million Brady argument, let’s only draft qbs on day 3

The qbs listed, maybe other than Russ, are from another era. The draft has changed. No one lets the 2nd best qb in a draft fall to the 20s (Rodgers).

Keep in mind there didn’t used to be a rookie wage scale and it made sense to wait for a qb unless you wanted to invest 70mil guaranteed.

I listed 4 of the 7 nfc QBs. How is that a 1 in a million argument? It's more than half the nfc playoff QBs jack wagon.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

You know Watson, Mahomes, Jackson and Allen were all taken by teams who were picking in the 20s?

I’d rather use a #2 pick we earned by being terrible rather than use a ton of draft capital to trade up and take a chance

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
31 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

...if you believe we should run it back with Darnold. Dynamic talent all over the offense (Montgomery, Robinson, Mooney, kmet) and a very strong defense. But their qb isn’t good enough to win meaningful games and now they’re screwed.

good luck getting a qb as the last piece of the puzzle when you’re drafting early 20s

Watch the bears

They drafted a QB at #2 and it hurt the organization.  

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I listed 4 of the 7 nfc QBs. How is that a 1 in a million argument? It's more than half the nfc playoff QBs jack wagon.

Brady is the only day 3 pick you mentioned..

1 minute ago, J_Smith said:

I want us to draft where we are slotted, not have to trade up

What difference does it make?  You have to get the right QB.

The thrust of your post seemed to indicate that the bears built a team and then added a bad Qb so your solution was don't worry about building a team just get a good QB.

If you do not build a team 1st your QB has a much greater chance of getting killed (Andrew Luck, Joe Burrow) or ruined, (too many QBs to count)

• Upvote 2
36 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

...if you believe we should run it back with Darnold. Dynamic talent all over the offense (Montgomery, Robinson, Mooney, kmet) and a very strong defense. But their qb isn’t good enough to win meaningful games and now they’re screwed.

horse sh*t

1. If Darnold ever got a shot to play with that OL, D and skill players and stunk it up, I’d be the first one asking for a new QB. I knew Trubisky sucked 2 years ago.

2. half the teams in the playoffs got QB’s in FA or after pick 20. Wilson, Rodgers, Lamar, Brady, Breese, Tennehill

if you you know what you are doing, you know what you are doing. The issue the Jets have traditionally had was they don’t know their ass from their elbow when it comes to building a talented roster. That’s not a QB thing, that’s a football thing.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, J_Smith said:

Brady is the only day 3 pick you mentioned..

Your argument is "good luck finding a QB when you're drafting in the early 20's". I listed 4 top QBs in the NFC playoffs picked after 20 overall.

Why are you talking about day 3 now?

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

If you do not build a team 1st your QB has a much greater chance of getting killed (Andrew Luck, Joe Burrow) or ruined, (too many QBs to count)

This is exactly what we can't do.

If it means another year of Darnold or a vet like Andy Dalton for the sake of bolstering the roster, so be it. 

• Upvote 2

meh we have nowhere near the talent Chicago has giving Darnold another year isn't wasting a once great defense and years of playoff appearances....completely different situations....not to mention Chicago drafts in the 20s every year and if Darnolds is terrible next year we will have a 5-10 pick, Seattles 1, and can draft a QB with a better roster to support him with.

• Upvote 2
26 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

Sure, make the one in a million Brady argument, let’s only draft qbs on day 3

The qbs listed, maybe other than Russ, are from another era. The draft has changed. No one lets the 2nd best qb in a draft fall to the 20s (Rodgers).

Keep in mind there didn’t used to be a rookie wage scale and it made sense to wait for a qb unless you wanted to invest 70mil guaranteed.

You right, no one letting an MVP QB like lamar jackson fall past 20 these days. It just doesn't happen.

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I have to agree, not going to find a good qb at 20 or later. It's not like there are any examples of good QBs in this game or the NFC playoffs picked on or after 20 overall. 

What’s that, like eight Super Bowl wins? Amazing.

I agree that it is harder to find a good quarterback outside the top 20 for sure. But it’s the folks who think you need to draft top five to get one that could be missing the point. Trubisky was a #2, Watson and Mahomes went after him. Darnold was a #3, Allen and Lamar went much later. For every Tim Couch and Ryan Leaf there is a Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers.

• Upvote 2
53 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

I’d rather use a #2 pick we earned by being terrible rather than use a ton of draft capital to trade up and take a chance

That's if the right guy is available. Picking the wrong QB now could set the franchise back years. You also need a team that is ready for a rookie QB.

Like many here are say, Mahomes wouldn't be the same on the Jets. Bills fans aren't upset they passed on Mahomes because we weren't ready for him in 2017.

The only player I think would have been a star regardless of destination is Watson.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

1 hour ago, J_Smith said:

And Mitchell Trubisky > Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You right, no one letting an MVP QB like lamar jackson fall past 20 these days. It just doesn't happen.

Can it happen?  Yes.  Counting on it to happen?  Not a great bet.  

And the only reason Jackson fell is because there were still some dinosaurs out there in the league who thought like Bill Polian, thinking that Jackson could never be a QB.  That's changed very quickly with the emergence of Jackson, Kyler Murray and Josh Allen.  That thinking has no place anymore.  

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can it happen?  Yes.  Counting on it to happen?  Not a great bet.  

And the only reason Jackson fell is because there were still some dinosaurs out there in the league who thought like Bill Polian, thinking that Jackson could never be a QB.  That's changed very quickly with the emergence of Jackson, Kyler Murray and Josh Allen.  That thinking has no place anymore.  

The playoffs are filled with teams who drafted QBs after 20. It's not the longshot it's made out to be. It's mostly fantasy.

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The playoffs are filled with teams who drafted QBs after 20. It's not the longshot it's made out to be. It's mostly fantasy.

For every playoff QB drafted after 20, there are a sh*t ton of DeShone Kizer's.

Meanwhile, the recent trend suggests otherwise.  Mahomes, Josh Allen, Mayfield, Goff....those are all recent guys taken in the top 10.  Tannehill is fairly recent too.  I won't count Trubisky for obvious reasons.  Wilson and Jackson are the only recently drafted QB's taken outside of the top 20.

2 hours ago, J_Smith said:

You could get stuck with a Rogers or a 2nd rd pick like Farve or Bree's or a 3rd rd pick like Montana.. Some of the greatest QB's in history were not top 5 picks..

• Upvote 2

If that guy hadn’t dropped the touchdown in the end zone Trubisky would have had 2 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, about 250 yards passing.

It’s turning out that he is salvageable after a pretty rocky first few years.

Also, Matt Nagy has had some pretty bad luck. The TD drop today, the double doink FG miss off two uprights to lose the playoff game against the Eagles, etc.

What do we make of this middling combination of Nagy and Trubisky that has gone to the playoffs twice in the last few years?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Over how many years is that list of 4 people? 

1 hour ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Over how many years is that list of 4 people? 

4 QB's, 3 of which were picked 15+ years ago, and that's proof of a recent trend that QB's can often be found after pick 20.  lmao.

Meanwhile the list of top 10 picked QBs in the last 5 drafts includes Mahomes, Josh Allen, Goff, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Herbert and Burrow.  One of which has won a Super Bowl, and 4 of which are in the playoffs right now.

• Upvote 3