Watch the bears closely...

J_Smith

12 hours ago, J_Smith said:

...if you believe we should run it back with Darnold. Dynamic talent all over the offense (Montgomery, Robinson, Mooney, kmet) and a very strong defense. But their qb isn’t good enough to win meaningful games and now they’re screwed.

good luck getting a qb as the last piece of the puzzle when you’re drafting early 20s

Their talent dropped a lot of key passes yesterday.   Talent that fails in the clutch isn't on the QB.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Their talent dropped a lot of key passes yesterday.   Talent that fails in the clutch isn't on the QB.

Look at the Browns Steelers game. 

Baker threw for less than 300 yards and had 3 TD's plus had a stellar running game to take pressure off him.  A total offensive team effort. Ben threw for over 500 yards and had 4 TD's. Yeah he had 4 picks which you probably point to as the reason they lost but imo, the Steelers couldn't  move the ball on the ground if their collective  lives depended on it. The Browns are a complete team and that is what you need to compete. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Look at the Browns Steelers game. 

Baker threw for less than 300 yards and had 3 TD's plus had a stellar running game to take pressure off him.  A total offensive team effort. Ben threw for over 500 yards and had 4 TD's. Yeah he had 4 picks which you probably point to as the reason they lost but imo, the Steelers couldn't  move the ball on the ground if their collective  lives depended on it. The Browns are a complete team and that is what you need to compete. 

The Browns have a great team and a very mediocre QB.  The Browns will contend for years if they don't give Mayfield a 5th year option.  A 5th year option will be the beginning of the end for the Browns. 

Seattle has contended for years with a great QB.  They have never come close to duplicating their SB teams once they're core wanted to get paid and they went all in on Wilson.  The Seattle team that won the SB had the 26th ranked passing O and the 4th ranked running O.  Lynch was a beast and they had a very talented OL.  The team that lost the SB had the No. 1 ranked running O and the No. 27 ranked passing O.  Not surprisingly they lost the game on a pass when they likely win handing the ball to Lynch.  

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Browns have a great team and a very mediocre QB.  The Browns will contend for years if they don't give Mayfield a 5th year option.  A 5th year option will be the beginning of the end for the Browns. 

Seattle has contended for years with a great QB.  They have never come close to duplicating their SB teams once they're core wanted to get paid and they went all in on Wilson.  The Seattle team that won the SB had the 26th ranked passing O and the 4th ranked running O.  Lynch was a beast and they had a very talented OL.  The team that lost the SB had the No. 1 ranked running O and the No. 27 ranked passing O.  Not surprisingly they lost the game on a pass when they likely win handing the ball to Lynch.  

I think the Browns have hit on a great formula. Don't  force Baker to be a hero. We saw in the Jets game what the outcome can be if you have to put it in Bakers hands. If they can run the ball with authority,  they could make it all the way  to the AFCCG where they likely  lose to KC but that team if n they can keep it together can be a playoff fixture for a long time. Stephanski did a great job with the talent he had. The key for them is knowing how to use what you have. Ben is a much better QB than Baker. Where did it get the Steelers. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think the Browns have hit on a great formula. Don't  force Baker to be a hero. We saw in the Jets game what the outcome can be if you have to put it in Bakers hands. If they can run the ball with authority,  they could make it all the way  to the AFCCG where they likely  lose to KC but that team if n they can keep it together can be a playoff fixture for a long time. Stephanski did a great job with the talent he had. The key for them is knowing how to use what you have. Ben is a much better QB than Baker. Where did it get the Steelers. 

Good post but I disagree with the talent they have comment.  They arguably have as much talent as any team in the league.  Not sure the HC is great.  It's clear he's not a boob.  They are an absolutely stacked team.

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Good post but I disagree with the talent they have comment.  They arguably have as much talent as any team in the league.  Not sure the HC is great.  It's clear he's not a boob.  They are an absolutely stacked team.

This team is not that different than what they put on the field last season. The difference is the game plan. They are not making Baker throw the ball all over the field. The Jets should be doing this with Sam, the problem is our OL has sucked for most of the year (played better in the last 5 games) and our RB's are nowhere near the talent of Chubb and Hunt. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This team is not that different than what they put on the field last season. The difference is the game plan. They are not making Baker throw the ball all over the field. The Jets should be doing this with Sam, the problem is our OL has sucked for most of the year (played better in the last 5 games) and our RB's are nowhere near the talent of Chubb and Hunt. 

They added a starting Tackle with the 10th pick in the draft and Hunt was on the team all year.  The biggest difference is they went from 19th in passing attempts to 22nd and from 28th in rushing attempts to 4th.  The Browns are loaded on both sides of the ball.  They can afford to take the air out of the ball, they have a massive OL with two great backs and a very good D.  We won with Sanchez and that formula.  It didn't make Rex a great HC.  

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can it happen?  Yes.  Counting on it to happen?  Not a great bet.  

And the only reason Jackson fell is because there were still some dinosaurs out there in the league who thought like Bill Polian, thinking that Jackson could never be a QB.  That's changed very quickly with the emergence of Jackson, Kyler Murray and Josh Allen.  That thinking has no place anymore.  

Yea, but getting one after #2 still has possibilities... Not saying we have to draft one in Round 3, but if we can trade down if someone is in love with Fields, and still get lets say Trey Lance and pick up 2-3 more draft picks would you do it ?

I'm sure I would. Especially if you have them ranked somewhat similar.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

4 QB's, 3 of which were picked 15+ years ago, and that's proof of a recent trend that QB's can often be found after pick 20.  lmao.

Meanwhile the list of top 10 picked QBs in the last 5 drafts includes Mahomes, Josh Allen, Goff, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Herbert and Burrow.  One of which has won a Super Bowl, and 4 of which are in the playoffs right now.

Outliers! Arguments in disguise!

transformers GIF

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Savage69 said:

You could get stuck with a Rogers or a 2nd rd pick like Farve or Bree's or a 3rd rd pick like Montana.. Some of the greatest QB's in history were not top 5 picks..

It's a losing argument with these run first QB's in the modern NFL guys lol... Geez, I kinda remember that all of these guys with the exception of Brees, were able to scramble and run. Maybe not like a Lamar, but still, no one accused Rogers of being a statue of cement.

For everyone wanting us to grab a QB with #2, are full of themselves thinking this team is ready and just a QB away from competing.

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They added a starting Tackle with the 10th pick in the draft and Hunt was on the team all year.  The biggest difference is they went from 19th in passing attempts to 22nd and from 28th in rushing attempts to 4th.  The Browns are loaded on both sides of the ball.  They can afford to take the air out of the ball, they have a massive OL with two great backs and a very good D.  We won with Sanchez and that formula.  It didn't make Rex a great HC.  

Good point on Rex. The thing is, Stephanski was at least smart enough to maintain building the OL and is reaping the benefits.  I really would love to see the Jets trade down and grab Wyatt Davis. I know Sam has to be replaced but we are at least two years from competing  and for all the hype over Fields because of the game against Clemson, I have a feeling that didn't  move the needle much for GM's and I think JD sees the OL as more important  than the QB. The Browns prove this out. Baker is not a superior  talent at the position. 

If you wanna take a new QB because your opinion is Darnold sucks I'm not gonna argue that but this reasoning makes no sense....Chicago literally took Trabisky with the 2nd pick...and we don't have the talent Chicago has so you aren't wasting playoff years playing him another year....Chicago did exactly what you want us to do.

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Yea, but getting one after #2 still has possibilities... Not saying we have to draft one in Round 3, but if we can trade down if someone is in love with Fields, and still get lets say Trey Lance and pick up 2-3 more draft picks would you do it ?

I'm sure I would. Especially if you have them ranked somewhat similar.

Why would you pass on Fields in that instance?  If some team(s) out there are in love with Fields, then why would us, a QB-needy team, pass on him, just to watch him do great elsewhere?

I have basically zero interest in Trey Lance.  QB's with less than 20 collegiate starts are extremely risky, and its a stat that has a very strong correlation with poor performance in the pros.  It's a group that includes Mark Sanchez, Sam Darnold, Dwayne Haskins and Mitchell Trubisky.  Yes, Lance might be in the category of Cam Newton, a sub-20 start guy who won with his athleticism, but I'd prefer someone else take that chance.  It's not like Cam had THAT impressive a career outside of one great year.  He was always a sub-par passer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why would you pass on Fields in that instance?  If some team(s) out there are in love with Fields, then why would us, a QB-needy team, pass on him, just to watch him do great elsewhere?

I have basically zero interest in Trey Lance.  QB's with less than 20 collegiate starts are extremely risky, and its a stat that has a very strong correlation with poor performance in the pros.  It's a group that includes Mark Sanchez, Sam Darnold, Dwayne Haskins and Mitchell Trubisky.  Yes, Lance might be in the category of Cam Newton, a sub-20 start guy who won with his athleticism, but I'd prefer someone else take that chance.  It's not like Cam had THAT impressive a career outside of one great year.  He was always a sub-par passer.

I get it... I'm just saying I don't have a clue what the right thing to do, and I have been on the side of trading down only because this team needs more than just a QB.... I'm guessing we'll all find out lol...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There is 0.99 correlation between those who don't want to take a QB and those that believe Sam Darnold is a secret-FQB-in-hiding. The outlier (ha!) is @bitonti

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well done.

Bitonti is a strange bird.  1 post out of 80 or so is insightful.  The rest are the ramblings of an insane person.

It's always something with the Darnold defenders. Some reason why it "makes sense" to give him another run. Some reason why none of the other options are good enough. But they all emanate from, not lead to, a conclusion: they want Darnold to prove them right on an Internet messageboard.

Disagree on bitonti lol. I think it's just a situation where people like to throw his misses in his face to discredit whatever current point they disagree with. If that's the standard, no one is credible on anything since a man from Galilee.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1