Wink Martindale - Would You Wait?

Be_a_Jet

I was wondering why there hasn't been a formal request for interviews for him when someone here pointed out he said he won't interview until after Ravens are done. 

I came across this quote from him in an article on Ravens website in late December too. After reading it, considering his resume, I'm all in on him. Rumors of him bringing Tony(?) Elliot from Clemson for OC would be amazing too. I think he's the best "full package" candidate not named Matt Campbell.

So...having said all this, would you wait until they're done and potentially lose out on some other coaches? 

"The thing that gives me the advantage going through the process last year and going into it this year is, I know I'm going to be myself, because I love the job that I'm at," Martindale said. "The culture that John and Steve and Eric and Ozzie that we've built here is outstanding. I know what I want to see when I get into those opportunities.

"A lot of people go into those opportunities and they want to win a three-hour interview. I want to win three Super Bowl trophies. I want to make sure that it's the right fit and I'm just going to be myself, because that's worked out OK for me so far. It's exciting to be looked at. It's always about the players, it always has been, it always will be. It's a humbling experience, but yet it's also an exciting time as well."

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I was wondering why there hasn't been a formal request for interviews for him when someone here pointed out he said he won't interview until after Ravens are done. 

I came across this quote from him in an article on Ravens website in late December too. After reading it, considering his resume, I'm all in on him. Rumors of him bringing Tony(?) Elliot from Clemson for OC would be amazing too. I think he's the best "full package" candidate not named Matt Campbell.

So...having said all this, would you wait until they're done and potentially lose out on some other coaches? 

"The thing that gives me the advantage going through the process last year and going into it this year is, I know I'm going to be myself, because I love the job that I'm at," Martindale said. "The culture that John and Steve and Eric and Ozzie that we've built here is outstanding. I know what I want to see when I get into those opportunities.

"A lot of people go into those opportunities and they want to win a three-hour interview. I want to win three Super Bowl trophies. I want to make sure that it's the right fit and I'm just going to be myself, because that's worked out OK for me so far. It's exciting to be looked at. It's always about the players, it always has been, it always will be. It's a humbling experience, but yet it's also an exciting time as well."

Great quote. This is exactly the culture and mind set we need on the Jets.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

If Douglas thinks Martindale is the guy than wait. What’s the rush, just get the right guy. 

Problem is, another team could be thinking the same and there is potential of a scenario where we could wait and ultimately not even get him because he chooses another team. I’m hopeful JD would at least gauge Winks interest before waiting though

3 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Problem is, another team could be thinking the same and there is potential of a scenario where we could wait and ultimately not even get him because he chooses another team. I’m hopeful JD would at least gauge Winks interest before waiting though

That’s true. My assumption was the other teams had their guy and we were just waiting for Baltimore to either lose or win the Super Bowl.

Been listening to multiple podcast and YouTube commentary (Jets X Factor is excellent) on the candidates and I think either Wink or Greg Roman (leaning more towards Roman) from the Ravens makes the most sense. Just factoring in ability, sustained productivity, and familiarity with Douglas, it just makes the most sense. I cant see Douglas hiring his first HC without any connection to him like some of the college coaches mentioned,  Bienemy and Saleh. JMO

TUDEUKAR7BHUNG64HQUFUF3TNQ.jpg

Looking at this guy every day would bring back such bad memories, I just can't.

Updated List:

Daboll:  Yes
Brady:  Yes
Saleh:  Yes
Glenn:  Yes
---------
Bienemy:  NO
Lewis:  NO
Mullen:  NO
Martindale:  NO
---------
Graham:  Declined
Harbaugh:  Declined
Campbell:  Declined

SAR I

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

Great quote. This is exactly the culture and mind set we need on the Jets.

Gase said roughly the same thing.. like most HCs do.. they don't come out and say, "I'll do anything to be a HC." Even if they will take whatever job comes along, they likely believe they're "taking the right job" regardless of the reality of it.