So who are we targeting at 23?

Just now, jgb said:

Definitely not as informed as you. Haven't really even started considering players other than the QBs at this point. Could see Jets going lots of directions with #23. But for now the best prediction I can make is that we will address one of our 2 biggest needs there. Who knows?

A lot of options. That's for sure.

24 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is gonna get tomatoes thrown at me but CB is bigger need than OL. I think the #23 will be one of those two positions. Assuming #2 is a QB, of course.

I mean maybe.  The Blue Chip positions are QB, LT, Edge and CB so it makes sense to use first rounders on any of those especially if it's a BPA scenario in a position of need.  

Hall seems like a keeper.  Bless seems good enough to be on the field and is still young.  Guidry held it down in the slot.  They're totally unproven with no real depth, Jackson was an UDFA who got burned a lot but the youth at CB is glaring but also means they could grow.  

It's possible though that Hall, Bless, Guidry will grow to be good enough that the position doesn't need to be addressed with a high draft pick. It's really going to be interesting to see how JD addresses this position after evaluating their 2020 performances. 

I'm fine with drafting a CB in rounds 1 or 2 just due to positional value but the answers may already be on the roster as they all should improve given their extreme youth and inexperience.   

For those who don't want to watch, I'm looking at 5 positions depending on what we do in FA: OL, WR, RB, Edge, & CB

*I used DraftTek for for my rankings*

Wyatt Davis - G - Ohio State

- Top guard in the country, Jets need interior OL help. I like Elflien but he is an Alex Lewis 2.0 for me, good depth but should be the concrete stater.

Creed Humphrey - C/G - Oklahoma

- Top center in the country, I want to run it back with McGovern in a new system but both he and Humphrey can play Guard so best guys play. He is the leader on that OL, calls blocks and blitzing LBs out.

Rashod Bateman - WR - Minnesota

- Not crazy about WR early, would prefer to address this in FA with all our cap and proven guys. Bateman has the body to be a strong #1, he was used in the slot a lot but can play outside.

Chris Olave - WR - Ohio State

- This is a reach at this point but I think he'll wow people at the combine. If you take Just Fields at #2 there may be a thought to replace Perriman/Robby with a new deep threat.

Najee Harris - RB - Alabama

- Bruiser of a back, has good speed and is great at breaking tackles. Does not have an elite 2nd gear. Creates mismatches on LBs consistently.

Travis Etienne - RB - Clemson

- We don't land the star QB from Clemson but could snag the star RB. Etienne is elite out of the back field both on the edge and in the pass game. I'd prefer RB later in the draft but I can't fault them for looking this way.

Kwity Paye - DE - Michigan

- His stock may depend on how Gregory Rousseau is received after taking a year off. He's being ranked in the top 20 from most draft sites. Love the power and burst he has off the edge.

Carlos Basham - Edge - Wake Forrest

Another power rusher, needs to work on secondary moves but would help pressure the QB up into the pocket.

Asante Samuel Jr. - CB - Florida State

- NFL bloodline, elite man cover corner, can play all over the field.

Jaycee Horn - CB - South Carolina

- NFL bloodline, big bodied CB at 6'1", is definitely more of a zone CB than a man CB

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

For those who don't want to watch, I'm looking at 5 positions depending on what we do in FA: OL, WR, RB, Edge, & CB

*I used DraftTek for for my rankings*

Wyatt Davis - G - Ohio State

- Top guard in the country, Jets need interior OL help. I like Elflien but he is an Alex Lewis 2.0 for me, good depth but should be the concrete stater.

Creed Humphrey - C/G - Oklahoma

- Top center in the country, I want to run it back with McGovern in a new system but both he and Humphrey can play Guard so best guys play. He is the leader on that OL, calls blocks and blitzing LBs out.

Rashod Bateman - WR - Minnesota

- Not crazy about WR early, would prefer to address this in FA with all our cap and proven guys. Bateman has the body to be a strong #1, he was used in the slot a lot but can play outside.

Chris Olave - WR - Ohio State

- This is a reach at this point but I think he'll wow people at the combine. If you take Just Fields at #2 there may be a thought to replace Perriman/Robby with a new deep threat.

Najee Harris - RB - Alabama

- Bruiser of a back, has good speed and is great at breaking tackles. Does not have an elite 2nd gear. Creates mismatches on LBs consistently.

Travis Etienne - RB - Clemson

- We don't land the star QB from Clemson but could snag the star RB. Etienne is elite out of the back field both on the edge and in the pass game. I'd prefer RB later in the draft but I can't fault them for looking this way.

Kwity Paye - DE - Michigan

- His stock may depend on how Gregory Rousseau is received after taking a year off. He's being ranked in the top 20 from most draft sites. Love the power and burst he has off the edge.

Carlos Basham - Edge - Wake Forrest

Another power rusher, needs to work on secondary moves but would help pressure the QB up into the pocket.

Asante Samuel Jr. - CB - Florida State

- NFL bloodline, elite man cover corner, can play all over the field.

Jaycee Horn - CB - South Carolina

- NFL bloodline, big bodied CB at 6'1", is definitely more of a zone CB than a man CB

Wyatt Davis would be my top pick if he is still there 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is gonna get tomatoes thrown at me but CB is bigger need than OL. I think the #23 will be one of those two positions. Assuming #2 is a QB, of course.

It's a week FA CB class as of now. It's reasonable to assume we'll find it easier ro fix OL in FA over DB. In fact I think it possible to fix the OL soo much in FA to the point it's no longer a need come draft. Which is the way I'll like to go regardless when you consider we'll have Sam or a rookie QB who'll need all the help as possible.

But since it'll stand as a weak CB FA class, it's possible to see the demand of the top 3 CB land them out of being selected 23rd.. After the top 3 in Jaycee Horn, Patrick Surtain II and Caleb Farley we're looking at drafting fringe rookie starting caliber CBs.

In my sim mocks I usually pick EDGE if one falls or I've been really liking the idea of going with Freiermuth, TE. I expect to the Jets to go after a WR in FA and a top TE can really create mismatches regardless. At the top of the second I think it is imperative to get the top OC available though. I might even secure Myers at 23 if we go with Fields at 2 for familiarity and continuity. Might be funny if they go after Olave and Myers both with the next 2 picks! 

2 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

In my sim mocks I usually pick EDGE if one falls or I've been really liking the idea of going with Freiermuth, TE. I expect to the Jets to go after a WR in FA and a top TE can really create mismatches regardless. At the top of the second I think it is imperative to get the top OC available though. I might even secure Myers at 23 if we go with Fields at 2 for familiarity and continuity. Might be funny if they go after Olave and Myers both with the next 2 picks! 

My top wish at 23 would be Davis but if we don’t get a big WR in FA I think is very possible we got that route at 23

23 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

I really like the idea of moving up from 23 to the mid teens to take one of the elite playmakers who may still be available (Kyle Pitts, Devonta Smith).  If we could use Darnold to accomplish the trade-up, even better.

Fields at 2, Pitts in a trade up, and Najee Harris at 34 completely transforms this offense in one offseason and that is without any free agent signings at WR and the offensive line.  

Love the idea but dont see it. To go from 23 to 13 requires 400 points. Thats a mid 2nd. Nobody here thinks we can trade darnold for a mid 2nd

So many names.  And with 4-5 QBs likely going before this pick, we'll have a lot of options.  I've seen a number of sites put a CB to us here, like Farley, Horn or Surtain but there are really so many good CBs that I think #34 is the place to take one.

A guy who slots right around #23 that's starting to intrigue me is Vera-Tucker from USC.  He's projected to slide over to Guard and be great there.  If Slater falls, he'd be even better.  Both present a ticket to upgrade our OL substantially and I think that's a great way to go.

The other guy who I can't quit is Najee Harris.  He shows me all the signs of being a top-5 RB and I don't have a problem burning a #23 on that.  I do think there are more options later on for RB as well but I'm intrigued.

I wanted to find an Edge guy who might fall to #23 and be enough of a steal that we could jump.  Maybe Rousseau or Ossai?  I assume Paye is certain to be gone but one of those other two should be available.  I just don't know these guys well enough to say if they're steals there.

35 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Pat Freiermuth!!!

To hell with all the people that say TE is not a premium position. Tell that to the team that has a really good one. Kelce and Kittle say hello. 

That's my pick! 

This is a tough one because kittle was a 5th rounder (picked after chad frickin hansen and ardarius stewart) and kelce was a 3rd rounder.  Some of the higher picked TEs have been disappointing (OJ howard, Njoku et)

TE is a tough position to eval I think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

This is a tough one because kittle was a 5th rounder (picked after chad frickin hansen and ardarius stewart) and kelce was a 3rd rounder.  Some of the higher picked TEs have been disappointing (OJ howard, Njoku et)

Don't forget this guy... 

s-l400.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed and its a type of position where later rd guys tend to have slid careers. Wasn't antonio gates an UDFA?  

Then again TJ Hockenson is quite the stud.  Freiermuth is amazing and outside of Pitts he's the man for me.  I love him ?