Pats Traded out of 23 last year and got...

kevinc855

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

It does not appear that the trade down strategy worked for JD. The Jets got Revis and Harris by trading up.  Star players make a difference. 

A rebuild starts with finding studs. Once you found a core, then you can fill in depth in FA.

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

It does not appear that the trade down strategy worked for JD. The Jets got Revis and Harris by trading up.  Star players make a difference. 

I disagree. Sometimes trading down works out.  Not saying we should do that but the OP was simply giving an option if the offer was good 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Pats at 23 traded back receiving a 2nd (37) and 3rd (71) from the Chargers. 

Personally and looking how JD 2020 3rd rounders panned out I really prefer him taking the best guy on the board at WR. 

Discuss 

He wants a 6, he needs a 6 and he will trade down at least one spot to indulge.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Eh I’m a big fan of snagging an IOL with that pick someone like Wyatt Davis.  I’m hoping Joe D brings in a WR in free agency so WR can be addressed later in the draft 

Exactly.  They could have their pick of any IOL at the 23rd spot.  Bateman and Freiermuth could also be enticing there.

• Upvote 1

I don’t care if it’s running back or WR, we need talent on the offense save side of the ball. If Harris is there, draft him. RB is a huge need and I’m not interested in paying Aaron Jones top money. 

If a WR is on the board, you can draft him and hope Harris slips to 34. Either way, we need talent! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

It’s possible.  I mean the 2nd overall may be in play if we get a great haul for it.  The Jets have so many holes that having a ton of draft assets will rebuild this team very quickly 

I would counter with we already have enough draft assets and cap space to get better quickly. The QB and coach is what has held us back so far. I mean, we beat the Rams (should have been worse than the score indicated) and the Browns (we also had a ton of players out). The margins are super thin in the NFL. A good coach and QB makes all the difference in the world. Our offensive line played better in those games than the Steelers and Seahawks line.

Just now, Greensleeves said:

I would counter with we already have enough draft assets and cap space to get better quickly. The QB and coach is what has held us back so far. I mean, we beat the Rams (should have been worse than the score indicated) and the Browns (we also had a ton of players out). The margins are super thin in the NFL. A good coach and QB makes all the difference in the world. Our offensive line played better in those games than the Steelers and Seahawks line.

Maybe but we also have plenty of holes to fill.  Either path is fine by me 

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Personally and looking how JD 2020 3rd rounders panned out I really prefer him taking the best guy on the board at WR. 

Discuss 

This is idiotic?

How's that for a discussion.

Discuss 

That’s funny. Someone on JN this weekend suggested we slide back a few spots and pick up a first round pick next year in the process. Silliness.

I wouldn’t mind a 2nd and 3rd though unless someone “fell” a little bit to 23. This team has so many holes to fill. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

That's true.   But if you only draft 3 players a year it can kill your draft if you don't hit on them all.

Jets also traded up for Sanchez and Greene

13 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

That’s funny. Someone on JN this weekend suggested we slide back a few spots and pick up a first round pick next year in the process. Silliness.

I wouldn’t mind a 2nd and 3rd though unless someone “fell” a little bit to 23. This team has so many holes to fill. 

You only gain one pick from a trade like this....the 3rd rounder. If you can't hit in the 3rd round, and JD has not so far dont do it. 

The pick at 23 is much more likely to be a starter then the guy at 37 or 71 imo 

• Upvote 1

Discuss 

Let me see if I have your logic correct. The Patriots traded back to get two picks, so Joe Douglas shouldn't trade back because you don't like his 3rd round picks in a single draft of a year without a pre-season on a team coached by Adam Gays. Is that correct? Besides the fact that we have no idea what Davis and Zuniga will end up being, there is no guarantee that the 23rd pick will be a hit or his 3rd round picks will be "busts." 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You only gain one pick from a trade like this....the 3rd rounder. If you can't hit in the 3rd round, and JD has not so far dont do it. 

The pick at 23 is much more likely to be a starter then the guy at 37 or 71 imo 

I don’t have huge feelings either way. I’d like to think JD can find a two solid contributors in rounds 2 and 3.

33 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Let me see if I have your logic correct. The Patriots traded back to get two picks, so Joe Douglas shouldn't trade back because you don't like his 3rd round picks in a single draft of a year without a pre-season on a team coached by Adam Gays. Is that correct? Besides the fact that we have no idea what Davis and Zuniga will end up being, there is no guarantee that the 23rd pick will be a hit or his 3rd round picks will be "busts." 

Yes. They traded one pick for 2 picks for a net of one pick. 

Slided down around 15 slots to early Second and then mid third. 

Yes my logic is 23 has a higher probability for being a quality player then 37 or 71. And yes it does give me pause that his 3rd round picks have done nothing. We are trying to win in 2021 and 2022. We arent waiting 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes. They traded one pick for 2 picks for a net of one pick. 

Slided down around 15 slots to early Second and then mid third. 

Yes my logic is 23 has a higher probability for being a quality player then 37 or 71. And yes it does give me pause that his 3rd round picks have done nothing. We are trying to win in 2021 and 2022. We arent waiting 3 years. 

That is not at all what you said. 

I hate the trade down strategy unless you are in the top few picks......it's just accumulating lottery tickets and hoping you get lucky rather then trusting the scouts or identify players and taking them.....for example JD traded back in the second, passed on Claypool and took Mims, and with that extra pick took a practice squad QB....total waste just take the best player on the board.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, undertow said:

I hate the trade down strategy unless you are in the top few picks......it's just accumulating lottery tickets and hoping you get lucky rather then trusting the scouts or identify players and taking them.....for example JD traded back in the second, passed on Claypool and took Mims, and with that extra pick took a practice squad QB....total waste just take the best player on the board.

I agree with you.

However the flip side argument I hear is that since picks are basically lottery tickets the more you have the more chances you have on hitting on one or two. Personally I find free agency much more exiting then the draft. Half the guys getting drafted never develop into true nfl players 

• Upvote 1