What’s with Bienemy

ncjetman

No talk of Bieniemy anymore?  Is he even going to get a second interview?  Wouldn't you guys prefer the Andy Reid Offense over the Kyle Shanahan Offense that we seem to be headed for??  We all know Reid designs and calls all the plays but is it that much of a leap of faith that he was able to learn it himself?

The “Andy Reid offense” looks a lot less like the Andy Reid offense when Andy Reid isn’t coaching it.
  • Upvote 3

On 1/11/2021 at 11:45 AM, jetscrazey said:

see my post right above yours.  It's more of a death by multiple cuts thing.  No single thing in his past looks egregious, but the sum of all of it might be enough to scare a team away in this day and age, especially the assault charge on a woman.

Isn't that just like saying he was at Colorado? 

On 1/11/2021 at 12:09 PM, GreenFish said:

He shouldn’t be getting interviews if his past was an issue.

Sadly, some of that may simply be a result of the Rooney Rule.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Icer said:

Haven't heard him linked to any jobs as the favorite, bit surprising. The media will have a field day if he gets passed up again

Yes indeed they will. It's in the zeitgeist for sure. Although I believe Bieniemy has been accused of assaulting a female in the past so media might not be so keen to champion his cause. Teams still have a right to do what they feel is best for their organization, though. Hiring a HC of middle eastern descent (I believe first, could be wrong) is also a good narrative. Johnsons also have a good track record of minorities in important positions. HC, QB, DC, etc. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, but for instance the people I report to are clueless people who are little more than a title. Doesn't mean that's the same for everyone, but I don't hear many jokes about the competence of administrators.
Absolutely .. many cases are as you describe ... but not all .. see Belichik or Patton .. so if you are downgrading someone in the elevated position , examples of inadequate or negligent performance are required for credibility.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2021 at 11:18 AM, jgb said:

If you don't have experience coming up with game plans and calling plays, you probably come off as less insightful on the white board. Practice makes perfect...

Also, if Andy Reid -- who knows him best -- doesn't trust him with more responsibility, why should a team hand over the keys?

Then, of course, there could be a personal element, as well. 

Andy Reid didn't call plays until he became HC of the Eagles. Part of the problem with Bieienemy is that the Chiefs have been taking long playoffs runs and teams dont like to wait. I have no problem IF the Jets feel Bieienemy is their guy and wait till February to hire him.  

Look what happened yesterday when Saleh left the building some fans here went into meltdown mode. THERE IS NO RUSH!!!

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Andy Reid didn't call plays until he became HC of the Eagles. Part of the problem with Bieienemy is that the Chiefs have been taking long playoffs runs and teams dont like to wait. I have no problem IF the Jets feel Bieienemy is their guy and wait till February to hire him.  

Look what happened yesterday when Saleh left the building some fans here went into meltdown mode. THERE IS NO RUSH!!!

That doesn't mean that teams aren't more cautious about hiring guys that haven't done it before.

You ever see a nice house for sale that’s been on the market for months and you start wondering what the heck’s wrong with it? 

feel like that’s sorta happening to him, he’s just stale and everyone’s like “no one else is jumping at him - I probably shouldn’t either”

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

That doesn't mean that teams aren't more cautious about hiring guys that haven't done it before.

I agree with you.  My only point was that the Jets should not be in a rush to hire.  I'm not saying Bieienemy is necessarily my choice, but IF the Jets feel he is the best, than they should wait.

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2021 at 11:11 AM, ncjetman said:

I don’t understand why he can’t get more traction - reported that he’s saying he”ll only take a HC job if the fit is perfect. Sounds like he’s gotten little positive feedback from the interviews he’s had so far - same lack of interest as last year - yet sources behind the scenes ( going back to his days as running backs coach in Minnesota) say he’s a terrific leader etc - what’s he doing wrong during interview process? And yes like others I’m concerned that he doesn’t call plays in KC but I don’t think Pederson or Nagy did either (might be wrong though) and they landed HC jobs. Yes he takes care of Rooney Rule for teams but again he’s spoken of very highly in league circles - what gives?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

More importantly..... Who cares ? 

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, bla bla bla said:

A picture of him with a play sheet doesn't mean be designs the plays and understands the concepts. He has said in interviews before that he is always in contact with Reid and the communication flows to Mahomes.

That sounds an awful lot like the whole Loggains reads a play number, Gase gives it the Ok/veto, and then passes it to Sam.

I’m quite sure he understands the concepts. Play designs are not a HC requirement, but what’s not known is what happens when he is on his own and it all falls on his shoulders. Reid was never even an NFL coordinator before being made a HC in Philly. So maybe you get Reid II in terms of results, but it’s more likely you’ll get Mike Tice II or Herm Edwards II.

Coordinator is such a common stepping stone because you figure at least he’s been in total control of half a team, and presumably did that very well. The elephant in the room with Bienemy is he’s never been in total control of even half a team, other than by title.

But in fairness, HC is the team leader and tone/philosophy-setter, not playbook author or play caller. They have coordinators and position coaches.

OCs who focus on such micro things may not be suited for HC anyway. Reid is, but I think it’s at least as likely someone that embedded only in one side can’t or won’t grow beyond his comfort zone.

It’s why Saleh sounded so appealing, even if it was just an agent-planted fluff piece, because he was presented as being more than just a D-only guy who’d meet once a week for an hour each with his OC and specials coach, while spending all his time with one side of the ball. Is that actually true about Saleh? Who knows, but I liked reading it would be, lol.

Bienemy has too many unanswered questions imo. Doesn’t mean he’ll fail (as most do anyway); just means it’s longer odds. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Fair... where did you read that ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Super Bowl: Patrick Mahomes says Northwestern alum Mike Kafka ‘expects me to be great every single day’ - Chicago Sun-Times

Patrick Mahomes: Northwestern alum Mike Kafka ‘expects me to be great every single day’

The man behind the NFL’s most important player is a former Wildcats quarterback. And a St. Rita High School alum.

By Patrick Finley  Jan 28, 2020, 2:30pm CST

Chiefs quarterbacks coach Mike Kafka set records at Northwestern. Chiefs quarterbacks coach Mike Kafka set records at Northwestern.  David Eulitt/Getty Images

AVENTURA, Fla. — With the Chiefs trailing by four with about 20 seconds left in the first half of the AFC Championship Game, quarterback Patrick Mahomes dropped back to pass, stepped up in the pocket and ran to his left.

He tiptoed up the sideline and cut inside at the 5, where Titans cornerback Tramaine Brock repeatedly ripped at the ball. Mahomes almost fumbled but instead stumbled into the end zone for a 27-yard touchdown run.

As a reward for the most important run of Mahomes’ career, quarterbacks coach Mike Kafka made him do ball-security drills.

‘‘I’m like: ‘Man, I gotta stop running or something. Every time I do that, you have me doing another different drill,’ ’’ Mahomes said Tuesday. ‘‘That mindset of trying to be great and not being satisfied with where you are has really helped me out a lot.’’

Mahomes is used to Kafka holding him to such standards.

‘‘He expects me to be great every single day,’’ said Mahomes, whose Chiefs will face the 49ers in the Super Bowl on Sunday. ‘‘He goes out there and doesn’t let me be satisfied with . . . having success. He wants to make sure I’m better every single time I’m out there.’’

There are hazards with that, Mahomes admitted.

‘‘He tries to make me watch Northwestern film,’’ Mahomes said with a smile. ‘‘I try not to watch too much of it.’’

The man behind the NFL’s most important player is a former Wildcats quarterback. And a St. Rita High School alum.

‘‘Pat’s the one out there with the football,’’ Kafka, 32, said. ‘‘Pat’s the one putting in the work, in-season and the offseason. I’m trying to facilitate and put him in the right direction. He’s the one putting in the time and watching film and studying and prepping. He’s taken great steps. From the day he got here to now, it’s night and day.’’

Kafka’s reputation has grown alongside Mahomes’.

‘‘I aspire to be an offensive coordinator,’’ he said. ‘‘I aspire to be a head coach one day. Those are great things. All those things will happen, will take care of themselves. . . .

‘‘This is a great experience. Can’t beat it. You’re in the Super Bowl. This is what you dream about as a kid, dream about as a coach.’’

Kafka started four games as a freshman at Northwestern but didn’t become the regular starter until 2009. He led the Big Ten in passing yards and completion percentage as a senior and in his final game — the 2010 Outback Bowl — set a school record by throwing for 532 yards.

The Eagles drafted Kafka in the fourth round four months later. Their coach was his current boss, Chiefs coach Andy Reid. Kafka played in four games for the Eagles in 2011 and spent parts of six seasons bouncing around the league.

Reid pulled Kafka into the NFL coaching ranks in 2017. After he served as a graduate assistant with the Wildcats, Kafka became the Chiefs’ offensive quality-control coach under, among others, then-offensive coordinator Matt Nagy.

‘‘Both of them are awesome in their different ways,’’ Mahomes said of Kafka, who was promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2018, and Nagy, now the Bears’ coach. ‘‘Nagy was amazing with me and my transition into the NFL — being able to relate to me, being able to go out there and let me play fast and be who I am.

‘‘And Kafka coming in and that work ethic and the way he’s able to push me every single day. Both of them are amazing coaches. I’m glad I got that QB room when I first got here.’’

Kafka runs that room.

‘‘Mike’s done a nice job,’’ Reid said. ‘‘Patrick’s been fortunate to be in a good room with good veteran players. And then the opportunity to have Mike in there, who played in the offense and the system . . . he’s been great.’’

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This is all conjecture. Kafka is teh QB coach .. that reports to Bienemy.

Kafka being considered for the Eagles HC spot... 

Chiefs QB coach Mike Kafka could be considered for Eagles HC job (usatoday.com)

Report: Chiefs QB coach Mike Kafka could be considered for Eagles HC job

usatsi_14154323.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
January 11, 2021 2:16 pm The Philadelphia Eagles decided to move on from head coach Doug Pederson after a disappointing 4-11-1 season in 2020. Pederson, of course, was formerly the offensive coordinator in Kansas City.

According to a new report from NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Eagles may once again go back Andy Reid coaching tree and hire an assistant coach from the Chiefs to fill their newfound head-coaching vacancy. Rapoport says that Philly may consider Chiefs QB coach Mike Kafka for the job.

Kafka was a former fourth-round draft pick by the Eagles as a player. He played backup QB to Michael Vick for two years during Andy Reid’s tenure as head coach. There’s obviously some familiarity with Kafka from that.

He started off his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Northwestern before becoming a member of the Chiefs’ coaching staff in 2017. He started off as an offensive quality control coach, before being promoted to quarterback coach in 2018, which was Patrick Mahomes’ breakout MVP season.

Conversation
One name the #Eagles may consider: #Chiefs QB coach Mike Kafka. A former #Eagles player and member of the Andy Reid coaching tree, would keep an eye on this one.

The Eagles were previously interested in bringing Kafka in to interview for their offensive coordinator vacancy ahead of the 2020 NFL season under Pederson, but Reid promoted him in order to keep him on the coaching staff in Kansas City. He served as the Chiefs’ passing game coordinator in 2020 in addition to his responsibilities as the QB coach.

There was some reported interest in Kafka as a candidate for a head-coaching position ahead of the end of the season, but so far no one had requested an interview with him. It’s unlikely that he’ll take an interview with a team until the playoffs conclude, but don’t be surprised if he at the very least interviews for the vacancy in Philadelphia.