Pederson Fired in Philly

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

I know nothing for sure except I’m not gonna wake up with a full head of hair tomorrow. But if you’re asking me Doug Pederson or the field for next #Jets coach, based on what I’ve heard thus far, give me the field.

Brian Costello @BrianCoz

I’m not so sure Joe Douglas having worked with Doug Pederson for a few years vaults him to the top of the Jets’ list. We’ll see.

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

I’m with Brian. The #Jets are deep into a wide-ranging coaching search and hadn’t locked into anybody. It’s not like they were slow-playing their own process with one eye on Philly to see if Pederson popped free. #CozKnows.

Peter Schrager @PSchrags

Replying to @MikeGarafolo 

Yes he does 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

he was not force fed him but still he wasn't exactly a CEO HC that is reported we're looking for, unless I am mistaken. 

So out of respect for my man Wayne, I'll let what I'm thinking slide lol... Seriously though, while Schwartz probably had complete control of the defense, make no mistake that Pederson had control of the entire team, unlike GASE.

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yes, conveniently that was under Reich. You seem to be waffling on the talent of Wentz here. Is Wentz good or not? or, is Wentz only good when you want to attribute his good years to Pederson, but absolve Pederson of his bad stats?

Carson Wentz had one bad year. One. Last year he threw for 4,000 yards with a 27/7 TD/INT ratio. Looks more like it was one terrible year, to me. If anything, that's a cliff, not a death spiral. There can be lots of reasons for a guy to have a crappy year.

And yes, his rookie year wasn't "great" but he was a rook that threw for 3800 yards. Which would've been #4 all time in yardage for a season among Jets QBs.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wentz put up MVP numbers and then Foles had a terrific postseason and SB win.  But somehow, none of that credit goes to Pederson.  It was all just luck and the starts aligning.  OK.  Nevermind that same team winning the division the next year, without Reich.  Pederson is just lucky.    

Can you spell elite without Eli? Was Joe Flacco an elite QB?

Looking at the entire body of evidence, everything points to 2017 either being a fluke or Frank Reich being really good. Did you go to the 2019 NFC East Division Championship parade? I'm super impressed by anyone's ability to win 9 games in a division as tough as the NFC East.

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's a stubborn a$$hole who wants to do his own thing rather than listen to coaches.  He also had the support of the front office, so knew he could get away with it.  That's it, that's the book on Wentz.

Pulling the "I want to be traded if I won't be starting" bullsh*t in the middle of the season is childish temper tantrum.

It's the coaches call on who plays. Foles was his "guy" and instead they gave Wentz a huge contract before his 5th yr. option even started. He shat the bed and is always injured. The front office and owner trying to save face by saying the coach is the problem. I'm not buying it and neither are my Eagle fan friends.

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yes, conveniently that was under Reich. You seem to be waffling on the talent of Wentz here. Is Wentz good or not? or, is Wentz only good when you want to attribute his good years to Pederson, but absolve Pederson of his bad stats?

Why do you continue to ignore that Wentz had 3 very good seasons, 2 without Reich?

If it had been Wentz plummeting right after Reich left, you'd have a point here.  

1 minute ago, The Troll said:

Can you spell elite without Eli? Was Joe Flacco an elite QB?

Looking at the entire body of evidence, everything points to 2017 either being a fluke or Frank Reich being really good. Did you go to the 2019 NFC East Division Championship parade? I'm super impressed by anyone's ability to win 9 games in a division as tough as the NFC East.

Perhaps if Roseman didn't d*ck around drafting WR's like JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Jalen Reagor, and an OT like Andre Dillard, perhaps they could have built on that Super Bowl season.  But alas, the roster is sh*t and will continue to be sh*t.  

There's a reason reports are circulating that Pederson is happy to be gone.  He wanted out LAST year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet no one would argue Tom Coughlin and John Harbaugh didn't do a good job in those respective seasons.

I'm not trying to say he didn't do a good job in 2017. He did an amazing job, obviously.

It was still a fluke season. Flacco and Eli also did great jobs, but they weren't elite QBs ever in their professional lives except for four games in January and February.

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Even though Doug Pederson won a Super Bowl, and he has an Eagles connection  with Joe Douglas, it would be bad optics for the Jets franchise to hire another coach who just got fired. I like Pederson too, but I don't see it happening. He'll likely become Andy Reid's OC after Bieniemy gets a HC job. 

So we should hire a coach that has never been fired?  So who is that coach, because it means the coach you want us to hire has never been hired either...

?

Pederson is a very good coach and won a SB 2 years ago with a backup QB, he was able to make that QB look good TWICE.  The Eagles team this past year was a complete disaster, injuries up and down the roster.

There is NO reason why we should NOT want Pederson to take over this Jets team.  Sure seems like his wings were clipped and he wasn't able to make the changes he needed to since his former staff got raided.

In Joe Douglas I trust!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The seasons were progressively worse. As was the offense as a whole.

Patrick Mahomes threw for 5,000 yards and 50 TDs in 2018. Hasn't come close since. Sky's falling in KC.

If a Wentz "regression" under Pederson equals a 4,000 yard 27/7 season, I hope he comes and regresses all our players!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The seasons were progressively worse. As was the offense as a whole.

Incorrect. He was better the last season than in 2018. Also he shredded his knee so it’s not like he just mysteriously was not exactly the same. Again your argument as it stands isn’t logical. 

12 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

So out of respect for my man Wayne, I'll let what I'm thinking slide lol... Seriously though, while Schwartz probably had complete control of the defense, make no mistake that Pederson had control of the entire team, unlike GASE.

Fair enough, dont know enough about the situation over there in Philly to make an accurate judgement on the workings of that staff.. If that is the case then that would at least fit the narrative of what we are looking for in a HC. 

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Quick question: when was O'Brien's superbowl win? Was that 2018 or 2019? I forget.

You said you wanted playoffs. I gave you an available coach that made the playoffs with Brock Lobster as his QB. He won a playoff game with TJ Yates under center. Who the **** is TJ Yates? Exactly. And, despite going winless this year and getting fired four games into the season, he only has one less win than Pederson over the last three years.

Just now, jgb said:

Patrick Mahomes threw for 5,000 yards and 50 TDs in 2018. Hasn't come close since. Sky's falling in KC.

If a Wentz "regression" under Pederson equals a 4,000 yard 27/7 season, I hope he comes and regresses all our players!

His QBR:

2016 Pederson and Reich: 46.7 (ok, rookie year)

2017 Pederson and Reich: 78.8 (Yeah!!!)

2018 Pederson: 62.0 (ok, maybe an anomaly)

2019 Pederson: 62.8 (hmmm)

2020: Pederson 49.7 (yuch, seems to be a trend).

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

So we should hire a coach that has never been fired?  So who is that coach, because it means the coach you want us to hire has never been hired either...

?

Pederson is a very good coach and won a SB 2 years ago with a backup QB, he was able to make that QB look good TWICE.  The Eagles team this past year was a complete disaster, injuries up and down the roster.

There is NO reason why we should NOT want Pederson to take over this Jets team.  Sure seems like his wings were clipped and he wasn't able to make the changes he needed to since his former staff got raided.

In Joe Douglas I trust!!!

6 of the 8 head coaches remaining in the playoffs had "never been hired" before.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

KC gonna be mighty worried if Mahomes has a 16/15 TD/INT in a couple years.

8 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

10 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Just thinking but if Pederson has a slight eye for talent and he and JD work well together, then we could have our best drafting tandem since Tannenbaum and Mangini.... Cause we've had nothing since them up until JD.

.perving donald trump GIF by Election 2016     Rosman eye test for drafting!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Troll said:

You said you wanted playoffs. I gave you an available coach that made the playoffs with Brock Lobster as his QB. He won a playoff game with TJ Yates under center. Who the **** is TJ Yates? Exactly. And, despite going winless this year and getting fired four games into the season, he only has one less win than Pederson over the last three years.

I made a joke about not hearing the term in a long time here. Do not mistake my poor jokes for my desires for the Jets :)

3 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Incorrect. He was better the last season than in 2018. Also he shredded his knee so it’s not like he just mysteriously was not exactly the same. Again your argument as it stands isn’t logical. 

Well Sam Darnold, mono, loses toenail, sprained thumb, shouler injurie, AND Adam Gase.

Maybe Darnold is good after all based on this type of logic.

I'd rather take a chance on a head coach that won the Super Bowl three years ago and overstayed his welcome than one of the Mr. Irrelevant candidates we've got on the short list.  Tom Coughlin to the Giants comes to mind.

Just because Adam Gase failed doesn't mean we should get away from the concept of hiring an experienced head coach from the offensive side of the ball.  The philosophy is still right. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2