Pederson Fired in Philly

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Have to imagine that this possibility has already been discussed at Florham Park.  With Philly's rumblings about Pederson in recent weeks I'd be shocked if Chris Johnson didn't at least say to JD, "So if Pederson shakes loose in Philly would we put him on the candidate list?"

From my professional career, most good executives have a short "wish list" of people they would be very interested in if they were to shake lose from their current situation. I have to believe it's no different in the NFL, especially for someone like JD who had a mentor like Ozzie.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Prior to the last game of this season (players apparently didn't like how he managed it), where did it say the players hated him?

I'm reading tea leaves. He absolutely lost the team when he did that. That tells me his grip on the team wasn't all that tight to begin with. Becton also liked a tweet yesterday that was against Pederson coming here. That indicates to me that Pederson does not have a sterling reputation among players. Is it 100% just recency bias and backlash of his SNF tank job? Maybe, but I have a hard time believing that,

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Troll said:

I'm reading tea leaves. He absolutely lost the team when he did that. That tells me his grip on the team wasn't all that tight to begin with. Becton also liked a tweet yesterday that was against Pederson coming here. That indicates to me that Pederson does not have a sterling reputation among players. Is it 100% just recency bias and backlash of his SNF tank job? Maybe, but I have a hard time believing that,

lol.  He never "lost the team".  The tanking sh*t is completely overblown.  He lost support from an ownership/front office that wanted to stick with Wentz.

Lurie is a complete dumbf*ck.  Fire Pederson, fine.  But Roseman 100 % needed to go first.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Becton liked a tweet?

lol

so now the Jets are making moves because Becton liked a tweet? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Icer said:

How is the Gase comparison not apt? You have players in the media openly calling him out, poisoned his relationship with his star QB to the point that was publicized as being 'irreparable'.

Squeaked into the playoffs with loaded rosters two years in a row after the miracle Super Bowl whilst playing in the weakest division in the entirety of the NFL. His QB has gone from a star under Reich to a complete bust under his tutelage, and haven't we learned that coaches who get fired and re-hired a week later don't learn anything?

You do realize that Wentz got his head smashed and was never the same player?  He has not been able to process info the same?

it’s not coaching 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  He never "lost the team".  The tanking sh*t is completely overblown.  He lost support from an ownership/front office that wanted to stick with Wentz.

Lurie is a complete dumbf*ck.  Fire Pederson, fine.  But Roseman 100 % needed to go first.

Was in motion ever since it became Wentz vs Doug Pederson. Everything else is window dressing.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Eagles' offensive rank under Doug Pederson

2016: 19th

2017: 5th

2018: 13th

2019: 16th

2020: 29th

Looks alot like Adam Gase's trajectory without Peyton

Throw in a couple 31/32's with Sam Darnold or equivalent bust and its a mirror image

The situation in Philly has to be complete chaos.  Gase and Macc weren't the only clown show.

It seems as if Pederson provoked (tanked?) the Eagles in order to be fired.  If so, his reputation takes a hit but he gains his freedom while keeping his paycheck due from the Eagles.  He may well have earned some time on the shelf as a result.  That may be what he wants.

Yes, JD worked with Pederson and may have a great relationship.  But he also has a relationship with Roseman.  How does that play out?

What is great about the NFL is that we get as close a view of this managerial comic strip as we are ever going to get.  Grab your popcorn and keep watching.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Roseman is no plum, but that is whom Lurie has stood beside. he brushed him aside for Chip Kelly, but since has been the fair haired child.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Roseman is no plum, but that is whom Lurie has stood beside. he brushed him aside for Chip Kelly, but since has been the fair haired child.

Exactly.  Pederson >>>> Roseman at their respective jobs.  Hence why I think Pederson deserves a 2nd chance in this league.  He was just made to be an undeserving scapegoat.

He's not my top candidate but he's up there.

• Upvote 2

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-east/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-players-doug-pederson-restrained-news

Some of Pederson’s players were pretty upset with him, too.

The Eagles head coach made several puzzling decisions in the Week 17 game. Philadelphia had already been eliminated from the playoffs and it showed, as Pederson didn’t seem to care about the result. This infuriated the New York Giants, who needed Philadelphia to upset Washington to make the playoffs.

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, two Eagles players had to be restrained from approaching Pederson in the locker room after the game.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's no coincidence that Roseman stopped making good decisions the moment Joe Douglas left the building.  Douglas got tired of not being listened to there.

They are now $50M+ over the cap entering the offseason.  Whatever good things Roseman brought to the table are effectively neutralized by that fact.  His 2019 draft was god awful and the Wentz and Alshon Jeffery contracts are abominations.

Roseman sucks.  

Also, Pederson's players don't "hate" him.  Stop it.  Even if they don't like him, who cares?  You're not always supposed to like your boss.  If he's good at what he does it doesn't matter one iota.  Lots of players hated Parcells.

What relevancy does Bill Parcells have to today's athlete? He hasn't coached in 15 years. If you want recent examples of coaches that were thought of as giant dickheads by their own players, look at Gase, Patricia, and O'Brien. Now I'm not saying Pederson 100% fits into this category, but there's certainly smoke there. 

I won't have a problem with Pederson being hired, he's won a SB and that
can't be ignored.  I would think he'll get an interview but with the amount
of candidates Douglas has already seen Pederson may not be a favorite.  If
a candidate has "blown him away" Douglas may lean toward them to set his mark
on the team at HC and QB.  We'll see

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

If you want to delude yourself that the Eagles offense, and specifically QB play has not been worse without Frank Reich in Philadelphia, have at it. 

The stats say otherwise.

The stats say he was very good under Reich and good the 2 years after Reich.  

A coach-driven "spiral", he did not suffer.  

12 minutes ago, addage said:

The situation in Philly has to be complete chaos.  Gase and Macc weren't the only clown show.

It seems as if Pederson provoked (tanked?) the Eagles in order to be fired.  If so, his reputation takes a hit but he gains his freedom while keeping his paycheck due from the Eagles.  He may well have earned some time on the shelf as a result.  That may be what he wants.

Yes, JD worked with Pederson and may have a great relationship.  But he also has a relationship with Roseman.  How does that play out?

What is great about the NFL is that we get as close a view of this managerial comic strip as we are ever going to get.  Grab your popcorn and keep watching.

Great post. I agree.

I think Pederson shot his way out of Philly (we don't know why yet), but JD does have a relationship with the rest of that org and any inclination that Pederson did it so he could get the Jets job would look bad for JD.

Why did they wait so long, now philly  is behind in a coaching search and pederson is at a disadvantage as well.

I'd like to see him interviewed, he is not in the prime list of coaches i want but he is i the 2nd tier.

As for the whole 'tanking' outrage.

When philly gets to pick devonta smith or jamarr chase or kyle pitts instead of some pass rusher that has sat out the whole year. people will forget about that in a hurry.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1