Justin Fields

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

He's coming out. Who want to deal with a potential COVID situation again (it's mutating) without a paycheck. It's all the negatives of being a college athlete with none of the positives.

I agree.  I would be shocked if he stays in school.  I would think the injury would also convince him to get his $$$ while he can.  He is still likely a top 10 pick.  Last year Mekhi Becton signed for $18 mil guaranteed at 11.   Cannot see him risking that kind of money.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

While you’re right, it could be tempting to go back as the presumed number 1 overall pick and still come out as a 21 year old with no one starting out clearly ahead on big boards.

I mean there are arguments for it, I just don't think they will sway Fields.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

If you look at the successful young QBs who have come into the league in the last few years, they are mobile.  Not necesserily running QBs like Allen, Murray or Jackson, but capable of avoiding the rush extending plays and making throws downfield.  But other guys like Watson, Mahomes, Herbert, Mayfield  are all atheltic enough to avoid a rush and make plays downfield.

FIelds fits this profile.  He struggled yesterday, but scouts will evaluate him over a 20+ game body of work.  In my opinion (for whatever that is worth) he is a good prospect, with an NFL arm, accurate from the poicket and on the move. throws a nice deep ball, goes through progressions, but sometimes does not move from 1 to 2 or 3 as quickly as you I would like.  I was disappointed in his play yesterday, but I would still be happy if we take him at 2.  One game is not going to sway my opinion, 

I think he can be a top 10 NFL QB.  Just my two cents, but what th f**k do I know.

And if JD doesn't take him and you are correct, we'll just hear "well he would never have been the same guy here!"

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, jgb said:

And if JD doesn't take him and you are correct, we'll just here "well he would never have been the same guy here!"

And, if we don't take a QB at 2, this board will go through another year of schizophrenic takes with every throw made by the top college QBs.  Not sure I could take another year of college gameday threads like we had this year.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Did you guys really come out of that game thinking fields struggled? It looked to me like OSU was just generally overwhelmed by Bama. 

I like Fields, but he definitely missed some throws when he had open receivers.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

And, if we don't take a QB at 2, this board will go through another year of schizophrenic takes with every throw made by the top college QBs.  Not sure I could take another year of college gameday threads like we had this year.

And if we do move on from Darnold, every one of his throws will be hyper-analyzed and debated going forward for his entire career.

Face it, this is our fate until we land a QB that is undeniably great, if that's even possible. Many here believe Watson is overrated because the Texans only won 4 games this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The knee jerk reactions with every game are a bit much.

Good take here, Jd even said bulk of scouting has been done prior to these final 2 games. We all know what the options are, it will start with hiring new coach and  determining Darnolds trade value... 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

I like Fields, but he definitely missed some throws when he had open receivers.

I think he floated a lot more passes last night , I have to believe the hip/ribs had an impact there. A lot of his throws he barely had any hip rotation and balls sailed some on him. I don't think he or Day had confidence on him driving the ball downfield , because I can't recall one deep shot all game and that has been a staple of OSU's offense. Granted the Bama Dlineman being in the backfield all game didn't help much either. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

I think he floated a lot more passes last night , I have to believe the hip/ribs had an impact there. A lot of his throws he barely had any hip rotation and balls sailed some on him. I don't think he or Day had confidence on him driving the ball downfield , because I can't recall one deep shot all game and that has been a staple of OSU's offense. Granted the Bama Dlineman being in the backfield all game didn't help much either. 

The TE throw over the middle early in the game was one. But it did not have his usual zip.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

The TE throw over the middle early in the game was one. But it did not have his usual zip.

True forgot about that one. But uncharacteristically they didn't go for any 40-50 yards stretch plays to Olave or the wideouts . I  think they could have exposed the Bama Db's especially after the targeting ejection. 

• Sympathy 1

Fields is still going number 2 - Wether its us or a team that comes u for him. Teams always trade up for QB and Fields in the right system has top 10 upside at QB. 

People gushed over Najee harris last night right. OMG Najee is 6'2 and 230. Well when the combine comes around fans will realize Justin Fields is bigger and faster then Najee. Yet he stays in the pocket longer then Zach Wilson with less injuries then Wilson and a longer track history of success. 

Fields is going to blow away the offseason. He's going to blow away interviews. Hes going to run a 4.4 Forty at 6'3 230. And as Tony Pauline said last night "He makes throws right now that many NFL QB's struggle to make". 

It's Fields or trade down in which we get multiple one's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

And if we do move on from Darnold, every one of his throws will be hyper-analyzed and debated going forward for his entire career.

Face it, this is our fate until we land a QB that is undeniably great, if that's even possible. Many here believe Watson is overrated because the Texans only won 4 games this year.

Jets fans are addicts in withdrawal. Tweaking 51 years and counting. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Fields is still going number 2 - Wether its us or a team that comes u for him. Teams always trade up for QB and Fields in the right system has top 10 upside at QB. 

People gushed over Najee harris last night right. OMG Najee is 6'2 and 230. Well when the combine comes around fans will realize Justin Fields is bigger and faster then Najee. Yet he stays in the pocket longer then Zach Wilson with less injuries then Wilson and a longer track history of success. 

Fields is going to blow away the offseason. He's going to blow away interviews. Hes going to run a 4.4 Forty at 6'3 230. And as Tony Pauline said last night "He makes throws right now that many NFL QB's struggle to make". 

It's Fields or trade down in which we get multiple one's. 

pauline is about as credible as anyone on this board. just sayin.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Agreed 100%.   I wasnt necessarily disappointed by Fields yesterday strictly because that Bama team is ridiculous and you could see that the Ohio St. was a little bit limited in play calling because of Fields and Sermon injuries.  Or at least so it seemed but this was just simply a matter of nobody was in Bama's class this year.  Florida was the only team to even slightly give them a game and really, Bama controlled the entire game and Florida played from behind the whole time.  I would LOVE to see this Bama team vs. LSU last year.  wow.  That said, Fields wasnt nearly as embarrassing vs. a historic team as Lawrence was last year vs. LSU, so I wouldnt look too much into it, personally.  Especially knowing he was playing with a hip pointer and he still made some next level big boy plays and throws.

As I keep saying; he's an all world athlete with an Ivy league brain.  My guess is he figures it out but even if he's not perfect from day 1, look at a guy like Allen, he sucked till this year but because he's such a ridiculous athlete, he made plays and was good enough to win games.  Fields may not be the physical freak of Allen in terms of size and arm strength but I think he's a similar athlete who like Allen, can rely on his athleticism as he develops.  However, I do think he's more advanced then Allen in a lot of ways.  So, like you said, wtf do I know but Fields seems like as good of a QB prospect as you could ask for but I'm sure we'll trade down and build around Sam so none of this matters.

I respect your conviction man...if we draft him i hope i am wrong...

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

Fields should be drafted because he's smart and has great leadership qualities.  I wouldn't be surprised if he goes No. 1.  If he falls to us and we don't draft him it will be a huge mistake.  It's crazy not to take him, crazy.  

4D43FD73-7AD5-4FDF-8373-A8003A19CDAD.thumb.jpeg.dfb1018efc59ec743d0563049a34802e.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2021 at 1:23 PM, k-met57 said:

pauline is about as credible as anyone on this board. just sayin.

Makes sense.  I mean the guy had the Maccagnan firing two weeks before anyone else, had the Jets interested in Fant last combine and recently said a week before everyone else Matt Campbell would not coach the Jets.  just sayin'

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

What studs came  out of Texas Tech before Mahomes? Michigan before Brady? Clemson before Watson? Wisconsin before Russell? Louisville before Lamar Jackson? Wyoming before Josh Allen?

The people trumping the "OSU doesn't produce good NFL QBs" narrative never respond to this argument because what could they possibly say? There is no good response. 

(Also - Cal before Rodgers) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sam_S said:

Makes sense.  I mean the guy had the Maccagnan firing two weeks before anyone else, had the Jets interested in Fant last combine and recently said a week before everyone else Matt Campbell would not coach the Jets.  just sayin'

Ok Tony. Just FYI.....everyone knew Matt Campbell wasn’t coaching the jets...hold the Pulitzer. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Oh great another Fields = Mahomes post

Where in my post did I compare Fields to Mahomes as a prospect? I didn't. What I stated was that using a certain school's history of producing QBs to evaluate a prospect is "junk science", especially when the school has changed coaching staffs. 

Aaron Rodgers's college coach was Jeff Tedford, remember him? People were terrified of selecting Rodgers because of Tedford. 

"Which begs the question of whether Tedford's latest prize pupil, California quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the likely choice of the San Francisco 49ers with the top overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, will be more productive than the five that preceded him into the league. That quintet  Trent Dilfer (Tampa Bay, 1994), Akili Smith (Cincinnati, 1999), David Carr (Houston, 2002), Joey Harrington (Detroit, 2002) and Kyle Boller (Baltimore, 2003) has pretty much flopped both aggregately and individually."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2039797

Would you say Rodgers has been a bust? Listen, Fields has his warts as a prospect, but Ohio State's QB history isn't one of them. 

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

Where in my post did I compare Fields to Mahomes as a prospect? I didn't. What I stated was that using a certain school's history of producing QBs to evaluate a prospect is "junk science", especially when the school has changed coaching staffs. 

Aaron Rodgers's college coach was Jeff Tedford, remember him? People were terrified of selecting Rodgers because of Tedford. 

"Which begs the question of whether Tedford's latest prize pupil, California quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the likely choice of the San Francisco 49ers with the top overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, will be more productive than the five that preceded him into the league. That quintet  Trent Dilfer (Tampa Bay, 1994), Akili Smith (Cincinnati, 1999), David Carr (Houston, 2002), Joey Harrington (Detroit, 2002) and Kyle Boller (Baltimore, 2003) has pretty much flopped both aggregately and individually."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2039797

Would you say Rodgers has been a bust? Listen, Fields has his warts as a prospect, but Ohio State's QB history isn't one of them. 

Fields has more in common with Jones, Barrett and Haskins than same school 

Same offensive system

basically same coaching staff

All had stacked supporting casts

• Upvote 2