Mac Jones

hawk

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hopefully for someone else pushing better prospects down to us.

In the right situation he can be pretty good if you ask me.

We can talk all we want about clean pockets and bamas talent but the guy simply put the ball where it needed to be and on time most of the time and made good decisions.

He is not a Qb that will carry a team but on a good team he could be good enough to win.

He's got journeyman relief pitcher written all over him.

There's still value in that of course - but I'm seeing posts in here like "do you think he'll make it to us at 23?..." lol fack. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

When you have all day to throw and have first round talent at all positions, it's a mismatch no matter what team you're playing. The numbers were so skewed all season because Smith, Waddle (before injury) can get open quickly and take a screen pass for 20 or more yards every time they touch it. He was accurate for sure and played a great game, but when it comes to evaluating him I would think he's significantly behind Justin Fields and Wilson for a reason - not as athletic or as talented throwing the ball. The windows are so small in the NFL.

So trade back a bit, select D. Smith, Najee Harris and Mac  and Deonte Brown, Dickerson and Leatherwood and he’s on solid ground.

The New York Crimson Tide!

• Haha 1

I'd take him long before I'd take Fields. Fields is straight up GARBAGE and a proven system QB just like any number of different Ohio state QB's that bust in the NFL. Jones, on the other hand, would be excellent value in the mid 2nd round IMO. I'd love to see him take on Sammy in a QB competition.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This.

Jones is an immobile, traditional pocket passer.  He has stood in clean pockets and thrown to wide open receivers.  And he has done everyting you could possible ask, given his situation.  But most successful young QBs in recent years have been mobile, not necessarily running QBs, but mobile enough to avoid pressure, extend plays and make throws.  Jones has put up huge numbers, but pro scouts evaluate the player, his traits and try to project his ability to adapt at the next level.  They don't scout the boxscore. 

He is a very tough evaluation, becuse how do you project that to the pros.  He is not goin gto have the clean pockets he has at Bama, and will be throwing to NFL-sized windows.  He will be playing a very different game at the next level.  He may be able to adjust to the pro game just fine, but I think it is a much harder evaluation for a guy like Jones in his situation.

100%

nothing they do to him at the combine will tell them how he deals with pressure, and that is probably the most important thing for any quarterback. whoever drafts him, will be gambling on him being one of those immobile QB's who can navigate the pocket under pressure and keep his eyes downfield. if they hit, he could be an all pro player, if they miss he will be Mark Sanchez level bust.

• Sympathy 2

34 minutes ago, Church01 said:

Throws the deep ball better than anyone coming out. I know his team is loaded but he was still impressive in every aspect. If he is there at 23 it would be a shame not to take him. Plus having played for Saban is always a plus from college to pro.

You definitely have not seen Wilson or even Fields much, if that is your evaluation.  

Zach Wilson

Justin Fields 

12 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I'd take him long before I'd take Fields. Fields is straight up GARBAGE and a proven system QB just like any number of different Ohio state QB's that bust in the NFL. Jones, on the other hand, would be excellent value in the mid 2nd round IMO. I'd love to see him take on Sammy in a QB competition.

Bad take. Fields is better than any OSU QB that has come out. 

Mac Jones is intriguing. Only potential con is who knows how he'd do without a stacked team like Alabama, and him being completely immobile. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 6:33 AM, 20andOut said:

Because when the rest of your team is so much better than the guy they are going up against (O-lineman, receivers, great RB) it is easy for a QB to look great!  Hows Tua looking vs NFL talent?

9 games into his career after a major injury? Pretty good.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:10 PM, hawk said:

Why does he not get any recognition?

Poise, accuracy, awareness, anticipation

Trade back, and yes please.

Or Smith at 2, Jones at 23? ?

Screw this. I would rather stick with Darnold. Every time I watched him his receivers he threw to were wide open. He doesn't  get this in the NFL.