So are you still comfortable with Fields or Wilson?

Still very much for Wilson. Shoulders are a non issue in that they will be so thoroughly examined that Jets won't pick him if medical is iffy.

The "competition" issue has been shown to be completely bogus and you just need to look at the traits of the QB

Wilson is better than Fields in almost every way..

If the Jets pick Fields I will root really hard for him to be successful but to be honest he does not seem to be a NFL caliber QB to me

I would prefer Jones to Fields in a big way. Not every team needs to run RPO. 

Results based analysis of CFB QBs is useless.

• Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yes to both. Not taking a QB is just shockingly dumb.

Taking or acquiring one in a blockbuster move.

27 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm comfortable with Fields.  Don't want any part of Wilson.

Agree.

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm comfortable with Fields, not so much Wilson but if you're giving me a choice between him and Darnold, I'll take my chances on Wilson. 

That said, I guarantee this team builds around Sam Darnold because Jets.

This is basically where I'm at 100%. I smell big bust potential with Wilson. But I see bust realization with Darnold. So if forced to choose, I take probable-bust (my opinion) over proven-bust any day.

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

darnold has greater potential than both the two qb draft table scraps, fields and wilson.  i would not even waste a 3rd round pick on those busts who are just waiting for the right sucker to come along and take them high in the 1st round

if the new hc realizes darnold's unique strengths and is able to actually design a fitting offense, the jets can do quite well with sam.  

they need a modern version of the 1980's redskins offense and sam will be a premier qb. 

Unrealized potential is the most abundant resource on Earth. Some of the smartest people I know from H.S. are flipping burgers.

Also, I'm curious. What exactly are Darnold's "unique strengths?" I don't see him bringing anything exceptional, much less unique, to the table. Not mobility, arm strength, accuracy, football IQ, leadership, killer instinct, confidence, selling play action, deep ball, touch passes, reading defenses, directing pre-snap movement. What am I missing? Not an attack, a question.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

If we're holding off on drafting a rookie quarterback until we find one that is near-flawless, we're going to be waiting a while.

Allen had question marks on his accuracy. Watson didn't have enough zip on his throws. Mahomes didn't see the field quickly. Wilson was only ever going to be a back up, etc. 

Nearly all of the most efficient QBs in the NFL had kinks in their games in college. Fortunately for them, they landed in the right environment, got coached up and excelled. 

Coaching matters. Who we choose to become our next head coach is a far bigger decision than who we draft at 2.

If we had a competent OL, someone like Carson or Akers as our RB, at least one competent  cover DB, and a #1 WR, o would be be im total agreement,  but we have none of these.  We can take a lot of pressure off the QN just by giving him a solid OL so the next guy doesn't  need to be a hero.

• Upvote 1

Fields is a project in my eyes. I don’t think he can scan the field at this point. While I haven’t watched a ton of his games, the games I have watched of him, it seems like he has trouble completing passes if his first read isn’t there. It also seems like he will stare at his first read for too long hoping that there will be an opening. He has a ton of talent and huge upside but I would be disappointed if the Jets took him at 2. He seems more like a guy that should be taken in the top 15-20 picks. Looks like a prospect that should sit out and learn on the sidelines for at least the first season.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

Fields is a project in my eyes. I don’t think he can scan the field at this point. While I haven’t watched a ton of his games, the games I have watched of him, it seems like he has trouble completing passes if his first read isn’t there. It also seems like he will stare at his first read for too long hoping that there will be an opening. He has a ton of talent and huge upside but I would be disappointed if the Jets took him at 2. He seems more like a guy that should be taken in the top 15-20 picks.

He is a one read QB like every other one to come out of that simplistic offense. Good athlete that should probably switch positions like another guy from the same school Terrell Pryor.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree.

This is basically where I'm at 100%. I smell big bust potential with Wilson. But I see bust realization with Darnold. So if forced to choose, I take probable-bust (my opinion) over proven-bust any day.

Unrealized potential is the most abundant resource on Earth. Some of the smartest people I know from H.S. are flipping burgers.

Also, I'm curious. What exactly are Darnold's "unique strengths?" I don't see him bringing anything exceptional, much less unique, to the table. Not mobility, arm strength, accuracy, football IQ, leadership, killer instinct, confidence, selling play action, deep ball, touch passes, reading defenses, directing pre-snap movement. What am I missing? Not an attack, a question.

This should be stickied for those wanting Darnold back and given another chance. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, genot said:

All of you we're trashing Mcshay for suggesting Fields would drop out of the top ten. You'd have to be nuts to trade up for him. He's a product of that system and taking him that high is foolhardy.

He did us a big favor looking like trash last night so Douglas won't have the pressure to throw away the pick on him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree.

The worst thing I see about darnold is accuracy  and decision making. I can deal with everything else you listed. 

• Upvote 1

I have a friend that is a huge OSU fan and he said he is Haskins without the attitude. He said he looks like he doesn't care or is sulking when things go wrong. I did notice that last night and the other two times I saw him play. I would like to get a stud WR and then build the OL and trade out of #2 while grabbing an extra 2nd round pick and maybe a 3rd.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

The worst thing I see about darnold is accuracy  and decision making. I can deal with everything else you listed. 

He had things to clean up for sure.  But I think a lot of it is the awful situation he had been in. A better coach and talent will help especially confidence wise 

7 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Fields is a project in my eyes. I don’t think he can scan the field at this point. While I haven’t watched a ton of his games, the games I have watched of him, it seems like he has trouble completing passes if his first read isn’t there. It also seems like he will stare at his first read for too long hoping that there will be an opening. He has a ton of talent and huge upside but I would be disappointed if the Jets took him at 2. He seems more like a guy that should be taken in the top 15-20 picks. Looks like a prospect that should sit out and learn on the sidelines for at least the first season.

This is a very similar analysis to Justin Herbert so keep that in mind. 

Whether he gets picked at 16 or 2, you would hope the organization doesn’t let that factor into whether he should sit or not. If he can handle the playbook and protections he should play. If he can’t he should sit. It’s on the coaching staff to simplify things in his first season, not complicate his reads (ie work as much half field stuff as possible) and then add more as he progresses through year two. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

This should be stickied for those wanting Darnold back and given another chance. 

He plays like a guy for whom it does not come easy and he's over-processing everything. You can almost see him counting his steps in dropbacks.

Compare that to a guy like Minshew. Not nearly as physically gifted as Darnold by a long shot. But he just plays easy and looks like he belongs.

Sam Darnold is Billy Beane and Minshew is Lenny Dykstra. From Moneyball:

Physically, Lenny didn’t belong in the same league with him. He was half Billy’s size and had a fraction of Billy’s promise – which is why the Mets hadn’t drafted him until the 13th round. Mentally, Lenny was superior, which was odd, considering Lenny wasn’t what you’d call a student of the game. Billy remembers sitting with Lenny in a Mets dugout watching the opposing pitcher warm up. ‘Lenny says, “So who’s that big dumb ass out there on the hill?” And I say, “Lenny, you’re kidding me, right? That’s Steve Carlton. He’s maybe the greatest left-hander in the history of the game.” Lenny says, “Oh, yeah! I knew that!” He sits there for a minute and says, “So, what’s he got?” And I say, “Lenny, come on. Steve Carlton. He’s got heat and also maybe the nastiest slider ever.” And Lenny sits there for a while longer as if he’s taking that in. Finally he just says, “sh*t, I’ll stick him.” I’m sitting there thinking, that’s a magazine cover out there on the hill and all Lenny can think is that he’ll stick him.’”

The point about Lenny, at least to Billy, was clear: Lenny didn’t let his mind screw him up. The physical gifts required to play pro ball were, in some ways, less extraordinary than the mental ones. Only a psychological freak could approach a 100-mph fastball aimed not all that far from his head with total confidence. “Lenny was so perfectly designed, emotionally, to play the game of baseball,” said Billy. “He was able to instantly forget any failure and draw strength from every success. He had no concept of failure. And he had no idea where he was. And I was the opposite.”

I want to know what we have in Morgan, it’s been too damn quiet with any info on him. I’ve seen this guy play and he is a baller. If what is going on is what I think, let Sam stay for his final year, along with a Fitz like vet as mentor and safe backup. Then trade out of the second spot for multiple picks to continue to fill out the roster.
Work Sam and James in spring and summer against each other. Best QB starts don’t think it will be Sam, the other becomes the backup. If Sam loses the competition and we get an offer for him before the season, make the trade and add picks to next seasons draft.
The vet becomes the backup and we can then bring in another rookie to groom and develop.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

I have a friend that is a huge OSU fan and he said he is Haskins without the attitude. He said he looks like he doesn't care or is sulking when things go wrong. I did notice that last night and the other two times I saw him play. I would like to get a stud WR and then build the OL and trade out of #2 while grabbing an extra 2nd round pick and maybe a 3rd.

He looked exactly the same when he won vs. Clemson. Dude was straight stoic during the celebration. 

Also, he plays nothing like Haskins. 

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One game against the top team in the nation, his top running threat out and playing in pain, injured.  He will not be evaluated by the results in this one game

You should give Darnold the same slack you just gave Fields. At least Fields has played behind a steller o-line. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Perhaps so. But he has no one exceptional strength to act as a platform from which to build upon. Without those one or two exceptional traits, you need to play smart and become the type of player who is a jack of all skills and master of none. To become a FQB he has to do everything "good enough" because he does nothing exceptionally to cover shortcomings elsewhere. Basically, he needs to improve everything. Very, very unlikely.

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is where I’m at except with Fields. I think Wilson’s got the goods. I think Fields is ridiculously talented but I don’t think he’s put it together yet and maybe he won’t. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This is where I’m at except with Fields. I think Wilson’s got the goods. I think Fields is ridiculously talented but I don’t think he’s put it together yet and maybe he won’t. 

Extrapolating a QB's college performance to the pros is the hardest thing to do in sports. I definitely could be 100% wrong. But I know Darnold has been one of -- if not the -- worst QBs in the NFL. Once you accept that, other conclusions flow naturally.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, genot said:

You should give Darnold the same slack you just gave Fields. At least Fields has played behind a steller o-line. 

Darnold as an NFL QB has been afforded access to multiple QB coaches/OC's and off season mentoring from QB gurus . He gets to dissect film in a state of the art facility in FP. Sam's problem to date has not been about talent and players around him. Its been about the mental aspects of the game. Sam's been handed an opportunity on a golden platter and he either is too dense to learn or doesn't have the fortitude and drive to be a great QB at the NFL level. 

Yes to both. Not taking a QB is just shockingly dumb.

No, taking a QB that’s not a franchise level prospect at 2 overall is shockingly dumb. That’s how you end up with guys like Trubisky. Fields is not a franchise level QB, neither is Wilson. Darnold has proven he isn’t either don’t get me wrong, but I’d much rather use the pick on a guy like Smith who looks every bit the part of a dominating game changer at WR than on Fields who looks a lot like a middle of the road type of QB at best. Nothing about Fields or Wilson tells me they are the next Mahomes, Rodgers, Russel Wilson. Hell, neither of them are even as a good a prospect as Burrow or Herbert. Continue to build a quality roster and you will find a QB next year with one of our picks that is equal to either of these prospects and you will already have a great situation of talent for them to step into.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Perhaps so. But he has no one exceptional strength to act as a platform from which to build upon. Without those one or two exceptional traits, you need to play smart and become the type of player who is a jack of all skills and master of none. To become a FQB he has to do everything "good enough" because he does nothing exceptionally to cover shortcomings elsewhere. Basically, he needs to improve everything. Very, very unlikely.

Sam showed good pocket presence and went through his progressions well under Bowels. Gase ruined that part of his game. He did that stuff well until Gase got a hold of him.

• Upvote 1