So are you still comfortable with Fields or Wilson?

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

sewell is going to murder workouts harder than fields will 

sewell has more leadership traits than Fields does 

I'm talking about a player, that for Fields guys, might as well be my imaginary friend

it's like he doesn't exist around here 

but he does and like Godzilla or king kong he's out there, lurking... one day Sewell is going to have his workouts and everyone will remember why they gave this dude the Outland as a true Sophomore 

That very well may be true, but it's the positional value argument all over again. 

If you have a really good athlete at QB and think he has the mental toughness, smarts, etc. to develop into a franchise QB, that's worth a lot more than Sewell. It just is. 

It all comes down to what we think of these QB prospects. 

Also, interestingly enough, I saw Jeremiah say that Sewell isn't even his top rated tackle (I'm not saying he is right, I just thought that was interesting)

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That very well may be true, but it's the positional value argument all over again. 

If you have a really good athlete at QB and think he has the mental toughness, smarts, etc. to develop into a franchise QB, that's worth a lot more than Sewell. It just is. 

Also, interestingly enough, I saw Jeremiah say that Sewell isn't even his top rated tackle (I'm not saying he is right, I just thought that was interesting)

That's where I'm at. I don't know sh*t. But if the Jets feel he's a franchise QB, go for it. If they think he might be maybe not sure meh, then trade down. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Yes I think Wilson on OSU or ALA would have put up much better numbers than Fields. He is a BETTER QB. Period.

If we switched Fields and Jones I am not sure Fields outplays Jones at all. Jones is being seriously underrated because he is a slow moderately athletic white guy when everyone seems to want super athletic QBs that run the RPO because somehow that is "better"

Jones demonstrated much better poise and awareness than Fields last night, regardless of injury. When ALA top receiver went out the offense did not really look different. When Jones got banged up the offense did not look different.

I just do not believe Fields will be a good NFL QB

So you are going off of last night game?  Not their respective careers?   You are sorely mistaken if you think Fields will not be a good NFL quarterback. 

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Do we really need to go over all this again. Yes, Mahomes is very talented but he went to QB heaven when KC picked him. Could you possibly think of a better possible situation. Red could make Darnold look good. 

Mahomes would have been good no matter where he went.  He may not have been this good this fast but talent is talent. Either you have it or you don't. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Just my own two cents.  But I'd take Fields any day over Mormon Mahomes.   I see more Josh Rosen in Zach Wilson than Aaron Rodgers.  And that's not including the medicals.  I like Trey Lance better than both top QB options anyway.

I love Trey Lance and had he played this season I feel confident he would be in the conversation for 2nd quarterback taken after TL.  The problem is you can't take him at 2 unless you have Balls of Steel.  I would love if we could trade down and take Lance. 

53 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Franchise qbs are not worth that much more than lts 

David bakthiari makes 22 a year 

Take the second pro bowl stud tackle and whoever the next qb is has an easier job 

Just now, bitonti said:

Franchise qbs are not worth that much more than lts 

Yeah, I guess we'll have to stop here because I strongly disagree and this seems like a defining issue for this discussion. 

If I were under the impression that LTs were comparable in value to franchise QBs, I would want to take Sewell, too. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

Drafting Prez over (Mahomes/Watson) ended Macc's career. 

That's only part of it. It's not the fact that he drafted Adams while Watson and Mahomes was on the board, it was the reasoning why - because he had Hackenberg. Totally whiffing on Hackenberg is the reason his career is over.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

He’s also throwing to future CPAs as his weapons so it balances out. Pretty sure Mahomes never beat a single Big 12 team with a winning record either 

If we are having the byu wide out convo (Dax milne, but fair enough) we also have to mention how every one of his lineman are post mission

His left tackle is like 24. 

The guy plays powerhouses like coastal who lost to liberty. It's mid major shenanigans and a guy like that was made for exhibition games. If he goes to mobile and balls, fine. What's the rush to go pro? Worried his shoulders won't last another year? 

5 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

That's only part of it. It's not the fact that he drafted Adams while Watson and Mahomes was on the board, it was the reasoning why - because he had Hackenberg. Totally whiffing on Hackenberg is the reason his career is over.

That's same situation as now.  Taking Sewell because he has Sam is same thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yeah, I guess we'll have to stop here because I strongly disagree and this seems like a defining issue for this discussion. 

If I were under the impression that LTs were comparable in value to franchise QBs, I would want to take Sewell, too. 

There's one franchise qb that everyone knows is going to be franchise. It's tank for Trevor not fail for fields. Jets fans are rebounding hard in every direction. He's good he's not 2 overall good. 

If Trevor was on the board, fine. I'd hate it but fine. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

It's not because he believes in Sam. It's because this team has too many problems to draft another Sam. The savior qb is not a real thing. It's unfair to the savior. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's one franchise qb that everyone knows is going to be franchise. It's tank for Trevor not fail for fields. Jets fans are rebounding hard in every direction. He's good he's not 2 overall good. 

I think the issue is more that nitpicking over a few draft slots is exactly why the franchise passed on Mahomes and Watson at 6. If a QB is worth picking at 5-10 he's worth picking at 2. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's not because he believes in Sam. It's because this team has too many problems to draft another Sam. The savior qb is not a real thing. It's unfair to the savior. 

That's fair but if they have 80 bajillion dollars in cap room, another first, and picks at the top of every other round, selecting a QB at 2 isn't going to prevent the team from solving those problems. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's Macc's thinking too.  The team had too many holes.  Take a sure thing (BPA).  Macc did that every draft until he was forced to take a QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I understand. Like I said before, a lot comes down to what you think of this QB class. 

I like several of the QBs in this draft more than you do. It happens. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That's fair but if they have 80 bajillion dollars in cap room, another first, and picks at the top of every other round, selecting a QB at 2 isn't going to prevent the team from solving those problems. 

Correct. Meanwhile, if Darnold sucks, then not picking a QB will prevent us from solving the QB problem. 

• Upvote 1

RT doesn't move the needle that much.

Trading down might get you 2 more starters and a few more wins but still, no QB.

Neither of these options solve the QB problem and by winning a few more games it makes it harder to get a better prospect than Fields.

So take the QB in front if us, stash him, and with all the other draft picks and money build a team

Don't Macc this up.

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Correct. Meanwhile, if Darnold sucks, then not picking a QB will prevent us from solving the QB problem. 

Going all in on the underperforming young guy is exactly what they've been doing for so long and it bites them in the face literally every time. It's really nuts they are even entertaining the possibility again. Obviously see how Mobile and the combine go first but if any of these guys grade out in the top 10 you absolutely take the one at 2. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The cap room is great, but this Jets team being a big free agent destination for premier players isn't the most realistic. 

I think Thuney could happen based on the rumors of last year, but those top of the market WR's aren't coming here. 

Besides, do we want to be the build through free agency team anyway?

We've got a lot of picks over the next two years and we don't need to take the quarterback this year. It works for the coach too - under the guise of 'I didn't pick this quarterback' and 'this team was 2-14 last year' - you give the new coach a layup year to implement his structure/culture and use those picks to make the roster stronger overall.

That way the team is better when we draft a quarterback next year, and that prospect has a much better chance to succeed in an established culture with more talent around him. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think the issue is more that nitpicking over a few draft slots is exactly why the franchise passed on Mahomes and Watson at 6. If a QB is worth picking at 5-10 he's worth picking at 2. 

General agree but McShay has fields at 15. Maybe we aren't used to picking quite this high but it's a rare pick... not a place to make a casual 10 slot reach 

25 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Trying to point out the obvious to @bitonti is like banging your head on concrete.  He worships Sewell ?

Dude you've posted the same shirtless picture of Tony Mandarich like a dozen times 

I worship Sewell. Fair 

What's your relationship with Tony Mandarich? Do think he waxed his chest or was it Nair? 

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Dude you've posted the same shirtless picture of Tony Mandarich like a dozen times 

I worship Sewell. Fair 

What's your relationship with Tony Mandarich? Do think he waxed his chest or was it Nair? 

You should really learn how to analyze facts, I posted that picture one time because the cover said “THE GREATEST LINEMAN EVER” similar to the reactions around here for Sewell. There is a tab under each post named Quote if someone presses it, my original post will appear at the top of their message. 

Something that’s obvious needs to be explained to you like most things.

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

It is well documented my feelings on Darnold but I think it's a world of difference.  Firstly, Hackenberg couldn't even get a pro snap, he was that bad. Not a pro QB. Darnold at least is a pro QB(albeit a bad one). Secondly - and more importantly - JD did not draft Darnold. I do not think Woody/Chris will ever fire JD without letting him pick his own QB and letting him play if Darnold busts next year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Mahomes would have been good no matter where he went.  He may not have been this good this fast but talent is talent. Either you have it or you don't. 

Yep, and having Reid as your HC, Hill as your WR, Kelce as your TE, a top 5 OL, a plug and play run scheme that it didn't  matter who they put back there, and now a good defense, well that didn't hurt.

• Upvote 1