How would you feel if the Jets announced that they hired Robert Saleh as their new head coach today?

Maxman

How would you feel if the Jets announced that they hired Robert Saleh as their new head coach today?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel if the Jets announced that they hired Robert Saleh as their new head coach today?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/14/2021 at 06:01 AM

I voted undecided. I like the fact Saleh is a younger guy and someone that can grow in lockstep with JD .

I wasn't crazy about the ultra name brand HC's like a Cowher/Harbaugh because I felt they would have a desire to go all in right away to "preserve" their legacy.  This risked abandoning the build it from ground up approach which in my opinion is the way to ensure sustainability.

I've also stated there was something about this guy that rubbed me the wrong way. It may be that he reminds me of the roided out guys at the gym who seem to be persistently "constipated". I have nothing to base this on other than perception. 

But hey if he can turn this team around who cares how I feel about him.   

7 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So one of the best offensive minds in the game says he loves Sam and you don’t want to hire a coach associated with him because of it?

maybe you should just listen to the guy that knows more then any of us ever will

That best offensive mind passed on Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson buddy. This was also when they had no qb on the roster, ie before they traded for Jimmy G in case you wanted to use that as an excuse.

14 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

That best offensive mind passed on Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson buddy. This was also when they had no qb on the roster, ie before they traded for Jimmy G in case you wanted to use that as an excuse.

So you think that means he does not know what he is talking about??    Yea, ok then 

6 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Oh please, if Shanahan wanted either of those guys, they would've drafted them.

Ohh please thats a lame answer that can be used for any HC.  GMs pick players, coaches put them on the field and use them.  

I wouldn't feel much.  But to be fair, I don't think any of the possible hires would make me feel much.  As Head Coaches, most of them are complete unknowns mostly about potential. 

I don't know, I feel oddly detached (as a fan) from this Coach search this time round.  Not sure why.  Don't really have one I want, don't really see any of the options being more certain, or of higher quality.  

• Upvote 1

Saleh is my candidate!

The idea that he shouldn't be the HC because he didn't win a SB yet is silly to me.....and just because you won a SB doesn't make you a better HC automatically than others George Siefert and Brian Billick come to mind, quality HCs for sure but not better than say Andy Reid before he won a SB in IMO.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Ohh please thats a lame answer that can be used for any HC.  GMs pick players, coaches put them on the field and use them.  

Yeah sure bro, the GM totally ignored his offensive genius HC when it came to drafting qbs. That's why they drafted CJ Beathard in the 3rd round that year. That's also why HCs like Andy Reid and Sean Payton were doing everything in their power to trade up for Mahomes that year, cause obviously GMs don't listen to their coaches.

It's also not like they rolled out the red carpet for Shanahan that year to get him to sign on or anything. Nah, Shanahan definitely wanted those guys, it was just his GM that sabotaged him.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Kyle Shanahan reveals why the 49ers passed on Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 NFL Draft

There are layers as to why the Niners passed on Mahomes

Tyler Sullivan
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:47 pm ET2 min read

In some sort of alternate universe, there is an NFL where Patrick Mahomes is the quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers (Scary, I know). But, with the Niners owning the No. 2 pick at the 2017 NFL Draft and in need of a quarterback, it was certainly possible. So, why didn't it happen? After all, all San Fran had at the quarterback position was veteran Brian Hoyer, who is a fine player, but not exactly a franchise signal-caller by any stretch of the imagination. Well, that question was brought to 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, who met with Mahomes at the NFL Combine. As he explained, it was a little bit more nuanced than the team simply opting to pass on the reigning MVP. 

"I didn't look into him obviously as much as I should have," Shanahan said, via NFL.com. "We definitely looked into him, studied all of his tape. Was just a freak, could make any throw, had the ability to anything. That was a little bit different situation for us. We had the second pick in the draft, did not feel like from all the intel that you get and stuff that he was gonna go that high."

Despite the apparent need for a quarterback, San Francisco elected to trade the No. 2 overall selection to the Chicago Bears, who dealt the 49ers four draft selections just to move up from No. 3 to take Mitch Trubisky. At the third overall spot, the organization decided to take defensive end Solomon Thomas, passing on Mahomes and even current Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson

Part of the reason why the 49ers elected to skip out on quarterbacks entirely for that first round of the draft appears to be due to the fact that they had their eye at the free agent class that following offseason -- specifically Kirk Cousins

"It was a little different situation for us just 'cause I think it's pretty well documented of just the relationship I had with Kirk being in Washington and I felt very confident that he wasn't gonna stay there," said Shanahan, who was Cousins' offensive coordinator with the Redskins from 2012-13. "So anytime you go into a season knowing that a franchise quarterback was going to be available the next year, it made me a lot more picky with what we were looking at." 

In the end, Cousins never met up with Shanahan in the Bay Area as the 49ers later traded for former Patriots quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo around the 2017 NFL Trade Deadline. While Mahomes may have more accomplishments under his belt currently than Jimmy G, both parties should be pleased with how things turned out. 

After all, they're both playing for a Super Bowl title this Sunday. Not too shabby. 

Oh hey what do you know? I found an article talking about why he passed on him. Didn't think he was worth a high pick. It's also cause he loved Kirk Cousins. Boy you must have loved Maccagnan then. But Shanahan definitely can't be wrong about qbs.

38 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Interviewing 9 guys via zoom and only liking one well enough to meet with him personally is worrisome.

If one is far and away the best candidate in their eyes it's not. There are multiple reports that the Lions are ready to offer him a contract. You can't sit and wait till the playoffs are over to meet in person with candidates you're not as high on just to do "due diligence".

4 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Kyle Shanahan reveals why the 49ers passed on Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 NFL Draft

There are layers as to why the Niners passed on Mahomes

Tyler Sullivan
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:47 pm ET2 min read

In some sort of alternate universe, there is an NFL where Patrick Mahomes is the quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers (Scary, I know). But, with the Niners owning the No. 2 pick at the 2017 NFL Draft and in need of a quarterback, it was certainly possible. So, why didn't it happen? After all, all San Fran had at the quarterback position was veteran Brian Hoyer, who is a fine player, but not exactly a franchise signal-caller by any stretch of the imagination. Well, that question was brought to 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, who met with Mahomes at the NFL Combine. As he explained, it was a little bit more nuanced than the team simply opting to pass on the reigning MVP. 

"I didn't look into him obviously as much as I should have," Shanahan said, via NFL.com. "We definitely looked into him, studied all of his tape. Was just a freak, could make any throw, had the ability to anything. That was a little bit different situation for us. We had the second pick in the draft, did not feel like from all the intel that you get and stuff that he was gonna go that high."

Despite the apparent need for a quarterback, San Francisco elected to trade the No. 2 overall selection to the Chicago Bears, who dealt the 49ers four draft selections just to move up from No. 3 to take Mitch Trubisky. At the third overall spot, the organization decided to take defensive end Solomon Thomas, passing on Mahomes and even current Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson

Part of the reason why the 49ers elected to skip out on quarterbacks entirely for that first round of the draft appears to be due to the fact that they had their eye at the free agent class that following offseason -- specifically Kirk Cousins

"It was a little different situation for us just 'cause I think it's pretty well documented of just the relationship I had with Kirk being in Washington and I felt very confident that he wasn't gonna stay there," said Shanahan, who was Cousins' offensive coordinator with the Redskins from 2012-13. "So anytime you go into a season knowing that a franchise quarterback was going to be available the next year, it made me a lot more picky with what we were looking at." 

In the end, Cousins never met up with Shanahan in the Bay Area as the 49ers later traded for former Patriots quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo around the 2017 NFL Trade Deadline. While Mahomes may have more accomplishments under his belt currently than Jimmy G, both parties should be pleased with how things turned out. 

After all, they're both playing for a Super Bowl title this Sunday. Not too shabby. 

Oh hey what do you know? I found an article talking about why he passed on him. Didn't think he was worth a high pick. It's also cause he loved Kirk Cousins. Boy you must have loved Maccagnan then. But Shanahan definitely can't be wrong about qbs.

I wonder how much their fans dwell upon this.  As I am still hearing about passing Marino on a weekly basis.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

The more important thing if they hire any defensive coach is who is going to be running the offense. I actually prefer a defensive minded HC bc I think they're better at running an overall team than an offensive minded coach. They do need to bring in an OC who is forward minded and creative on offense. 

The most important thing about any coach is his ability to put together a staff.   Thats why, in my little brain, rookie head coaches can struggle.   They don't have a great staff.

You wind up with a 1st time HC.  A 1st time OC.  Things like that.

38 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So one of the best offensive minds in the game says he loves Sam and you don’t want to hire a coach associated with him because of it?

maybe you should just listen to the guy that knows more then any of us ever will

Isn't it amazing how many people on this board know more than any GM or HC in the NFL?

Personally, I think we have a real GM for the first time in decades, and I'm going to trust that he and the new HC know more than I do.

Well he is very young, buff and sexy. If I were a gay man I think this is the type I would go for.

Seriously though......

Like you guys I dont know much about him but I can say that about all those DCs and OCs coming in but I have a very strong GUT FEELING (yes its just a gut feeling) that this is candidate #1. Why? Well, I watched some of his sideline antics and I appreciate his enthusiasm and passion. This is not todd bowles the statue.

When I listened to his 15 minute press conference he was strong minded, but approachable. He is smart. I am not one to be led by others easily but in all honesty if I were in a war and was assigned to this guy as my platoon leader I think I would listen and believe in him. I see him as someone that I can respect and trust. There is just something about him that is very easy to listen to and believe in. It's just a feeling...the way he presents himself and the confidence in his words.

Then, I read what his coach said. Pretty much gushing about him. Nuff said.

Apparently his coaching and team has produced as well. So he is not a weirdo (gase), not an ass (pederson), not an emotionless statue (bowles), he doesnt talk the talk but NOT walk the walk (herm). 

I am pretty sure the jets are getting nervous about other teams  making moves. He doesant leave the building without a contract TODAY says me!

The biggest concern of hiring a guy from one side of the ball or the other is whether or not they know enough about the opposite side.  If it’s a defense coach I want a guy who knows the kind of offensive play that can beat his defensive alignment and vice versa.  I think this makes sense.  The head coach needs to know the complete game.