How would you feel if the Jets announced that they hired Robert Saleh as their new head coach today?

How would you feel if the Jets announced that they hired Robert Saleh as their new head coach today?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel if the Jets announced that they hired Robert Saleh as their new head coach today?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/14/2021 at 06:01 AM

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mostly sorry for JTJet and the shame that will hang over his family for a generation.

I will also say this: Saleh runs a 4-3. Our defense, with Fatukasi as a 4-3 nose and Quinnen as a 4-3 3tech, Mosely as a true MLB, and Huff and Franklin-Meyers as DEs, would be a much better depl

Posted Images

A coach with a defensive background is fine - but it will come to allocation of resources.

If this coach will insist on using premium resources on defense this team is destined to always be mediocre at best.

The way you build a long-term, consistent winning team is with dominant offensive play.  

If he's going to try and recreate the 49ers from two years ago....again, at best we'll be what they are..

Make one good run but ultimately get beaten by a good offense and then win 6 games the next three years.

• Confused 1
44 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

Don't like him

Don't want him 

I had enough of coaches yelling like they are crazy and pacing like a lunatic on the sidelines

Um.....who, apart from Rex, was like that in the last 20 years?

Herm, maybe?  2nd best era of this period.
Magini, quiet and calm.
Rex, definitely (also our best era in this period).
Bowles, borderline comotose.
Gase?  Gase wasn't animated, just odd.

In fairness, the Rah Rah passionate Coaches have been the two best (or at least most successful) of the past 20 years or so.

The quiet ones have mostly sucked.  

Being loud or passionate wouldn't be a cause for objection IMO. 

Being a supposed "genius" tho, like Mangini and Gase, instant disqualification, lol.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, artemusclyde said:

Yeah sure bro, the GM totally ignored his offensive genius HC when it came to drafting qbs. That's why they drafted CJ Beathard in the 3rd round that year. That's also why HCs like Andy Reid and Sean Payton were doing everything in their power to trade up for Mahomes that year, cause obviously GMs don't listen to their coaches.

It's also not like they rolled out the red carpet for Shanahan that year to get him to sign on or anything. Nah, Shanahan definitely wanted those guys, it was just his GM that sabotaged him.

OK, you dont agree, have an idea that GMs, their livelihoods based on the draft will take players the HC wants and screw their jobs.

Whatever you want to believe. 

57 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Kyle Shanahan reveals why the 49ers passed on Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 NFL Draft

There are layers as to why the Niners passed on Mahomes

Tyler Sullivan
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:47 pm ET2 min read

In some sort of alternate universe, there is an NFL where Patrick Mahomes is the quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers (Scary, I know). But, with the Niners owning the No. 2 pick at the 2017 NFL Draft and in need of a quarterback, it was certainly possible. So, why didn't it happen? After all, all San Fran had at the quarterback position was veteran Brian Hoyer, who is a fine player, but not exactly a franchise signal-caller by any stretch of the imagination. Well, that question was brought to 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, who met with Mahomes at the NFL Combine. As he explained, it was a little bit more nuanced than the team simply opting to pass on the reigning MVP. 

"I didn't look into him obviously as much as I should have," Shanahan said, via NFL.com. "We definitely looked into him, studied all of his tape. Was just a freak, could make any throw, had the ability to anything. That was a little bit different situation for us. We had the second pick in the draft, did not feel like from all the intel that you get and stuff that he was gonna go that high."

Despite the apparent need for a quarterback, San Francisco elected to trade the No. 2 overall selection to the Chicago Bears, who dealt the 49ers four draft selections just to move up from No. 3 to take Mitch Trubisky. At the third overall spot, the organization decided to take defensive end Solomon Thomas, passing on Mahomes and even current Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson

Part of the reason why the 49ers elected to skip out on quarterbacks entirely for that first round of the draft appears to be due to the fact that they had their eye at the free agent class that following offseason -- specifically Kirk Cousins

"It was a little different situation for us just 'cause I think it's pretty well documented of just the relationship I had with Kirk being in Washington and I felt very confident that he wasn't gonna stay there," said Shanahan, who was Cousins' offensive coordinator with the Redskins from 2012-13. "So anytime you go into a season knowing that a franchise quarterback was going to be available the next year, it made me a lot more picky with what we were looking at." 

In the end, Cousins never met up with Shanahan in the Bay Area as the 49ers later traded for former Patriots quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo around the 2017 NFL Trade Deadline. While Mahomes may have more accomplishments under his belt currently than Jimmy G, both parties should be pleased with how things turned out. 

After all, they're both playing for a Super Bowl title this Sunday. Not too shabby. 

Oh hey what do you know? I found an article talking about why he passed on him. Didn't think he was worth a high pick. It's also cause he loved Kirk Cousins. Boy you must have loved Maccagnan then. But Shanahan definitely can't be wrong about qbs.

What does this have to do with me saying GMs draft?  You think that means every situation is the same, there arent situations where the HC and GM are on the same page and if they arent the HC wins out, which was my point?  

In Joe Douglas I trust.

I'm confident Saleh would bring fire and energy to this team.  Along with that passion, I am looking for leadership and discipline.  The coaching staff that Saleh puts together would be crucial especially on the offensive side of the ball.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What does this have to do with me saying GMs draft?  You think that means every situation is the same, there arent situations where the HC and GM are on the same page and if they arent the HC wins out, which was my point?  

Go reread your posts. You argued that Shanahan didn't pass on Mahomes and instead his GM did. I proved you wrong, get over it.

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

"We definitely looked into him, studied all of his tape. Was just a freak, could make any throw, had the ability to anything. That was a little bit different situation for us. We had the second pick in the draft, did not feel like from all the intel that you get and stuff that he was gonna go that high."

19 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Go reread your posts. You argued that Shanahan didn't pass on Mahomes and instead his GM did. I proved you wrong, get over it.

We, I just said it was a we situation at best, HCs dont just ask and get every player they want.  You blamed Shanahan for passing on Mahomes, whatever that has to do with LaFleur being a viable OC, who knows.

Whatever, you won, throw yourself a parade, it seems important to you.

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I voted "undecided", but it's more somewhere between "undecided" and "good." 

It seems like a solid hire, but it doesn't blow me away, either. 

I would not be discouraged at all. 

He reminds me of Tomlin. His guys love him and play for him.

That said, he definitely needs a creative offensive mind to complement the attitude that we'll have on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm a believer the team at some point takes on the personality of it's HC. One thing for sure this guy has is HIGH energy and I love that. Great coach too. Want to change the culture, hire this guy! 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

He reminds me of Tomlin. His guys love him and play for him.

Right. Tomlin is a leader, but his tactical decisions always leave a lot to be desired. Pete Carroll is the same way.

I just wish we can get a guy here that is not woefully mismatched in terms of in game management.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Brady was my top choice  but I can absolutely get behind this hire, especially if the rumors are true regarding the quality of OC's he's been tied to.  

I had Brady as one of top 3 finalists before today (in the mix with Saleh and Pederson). My only issue with Brady is he is super young (31) and only has 1 year of NFL experience. 

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I will also say this: Saleh runs a 4-3.

Our defense, with Fatukasi as a 4-3 nose and Quinnen as a 4-3 3tech, Mosely as a true MLB, and Huff and Franklin-Meyers as DEs, would be a much better deployment of assets than our current 3-4, IMO. It's also easier to find true 4-3 DE pass rushers than 3-4 OLBs who can rush the passer and drop into coverage, and capable 4-3 OLBs should come cheaper than 3-4 OLBs, too

Do you really think your going to see Mosley next year?  I don't.  Suspect he'll be complaning about ham strings a week or two after camp begins, then gone with the money.

Guy raped Big Mac

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Maxman said:

The early Twitter results are interesting.

image.png

People are very scared of Pederson because of the superficial comparisons to Gase and Kotite. I understand where people are coming from, but I'm not sure that is a great way to look at things. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I had Brady as one of top 3 finalists before today (in the mix with Saleh and Pederson). My only issue with Brady is he is super young (31) and only has 1 year of NFL experience. 

I'd rather be early on a guy like Brady. If he figures it out you've got stability at HC for a long time.

• Upvote 1

I liked Brady, Daboll, Staley and Saleh. Brady was my home run but can get behind Saleh for sure. The more I read about him I like and the thought of bringing San Fran offensive coaches over is exciting. Hopefully we can lock it up today 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

He was with the Saints from 2017-18.

31 minutes ago, RJIII said:

I'm a believer the team at some point takes on the personality of it's HC. One thing for sure this guy has is HIGH energy and I love that. Great coach too. Want to change the culture, hire this guy! 

SAR I

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I will also say this: Saleh runs a 4-3.

Our defense, with Fatukasi as a 4-3 nose and Quinnen as a 4-3 3tech, Mosely as a true MLB, and Huff and Franklin-Meyers as DEs, would be a much better deployment of assets than our current 3-4, IMO. It's also easier to find true 4-3 DE pass rushers than 3-4 OLBs who can rush the passer and drop into coverage, and capable 4-3 OLBs should come cheaper than 3-4 OLBs, too

Quinnen makes sense in either system and is fine as a 4-3 3tech, but Fatu is a bit wasted in the 4-3 and so is F-M (no idea about Huff).  It’s ashame bc usually your happy to run the 3-4 when you can find an elite nosetackle, and we have one....

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Very interesting... I'm guessing fans have a bad taste in their mouths for Gase being fired and then instantly hired by us, but the difference between GASE and Pederson is NIGHT and DAY...  I would not be bummed with either choice.

Pederson said he's taking some time off from coaching to evaluate his options.