So we’re good with a sh1t offense?

QB1

Cause that is what hiring a defense coach will create- I don’t care who the hire is.

I like Saleh too but this is my biggest concern. Are we going back to drafting D linemen in the first?

Has ANY defensive coach put out a top 5 offense in the last decade?

EDIT: I GET IT STUPID POST SORRY K THX

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 25
  • WTF? 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

Rappaport said Saleh is only one of a number of coaches who will get 2nd round interviews. It makes sense Saleh is the first since he had one of the earlier virtual interviews. Guys in the playoffs can't meet either. Still greater than 50% chance he is not the coach.

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

Cause that is was hiring a defense coach will create- I don’t care who the hire is.

I like Saleh too but this is my biggest concern. Are we going back to drafting D linemen in the first?

I would say the Pats, Titans, Steelers, Rams have been there if I had to guess.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Cause that is was hiring a defense coach will create- I don’t care who the hire is.

Buffalo Bills this year?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

I think that is a very flawed way of thinking. A head coach should hire great coordinators and oversee them, but stay at arms length and let them do their jobs, on their side of the ball. I think a HC fails when they pay too much attention to the one side of the game that they originated from.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

XLV    Feb. 6, 2011    Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, Texas)    Green Bay 31, Pittsburgh 25
- Off Coach beats Def Coach
XLVI    Feb. 5, 2012    Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis)    New York Giants 21, New England 17
- Off Coach beats Defensive Coach
XLVII    Feb. 3, 2013    Mercedes-Benz Superdome (New Orleans)    Baltimore 34, San Francisco 31
- ST Coach beats Off Coach
XLVIII    Feb. 2, 2014    MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, N.J.)    Seattle 43, Denver 8
- Def Coach beats Def Coach
XLIX    Feb. 1, 2015    University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Ariz.)    New England 28, Seattle 24
50    Feb. 7, 2016    Levi's Stadium (Santa Clara, Calif.)    Denver 24, Carolina 10
LI    Feb. 5, 2017    NRG Stadium (Houston)    New England 34, Atlanta 28
LII    Feb. 4, 2018    U.S. Bank Stadium (Minneapolis)    Philadelphia 41, New England 33
LIII    Feb. 3, 2019    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta)    New England 13, Los Angeles Rams 3
- Def Coach beats Off Coach
LIV    Feb. 2, 2020    Hard Rock Stadium (Miami)    Kansas City 31, San Francisco 20
- Off Coach beats Off Coach

Off Coach wins - 5
Def Coach wins - 4
St Coach wins - 1

Bottom line is who cares what side of the ball they are on as long as they can win a Super Bowl.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

His 3 rumored OCs are all young and come from solid systems. McDaniel,Lafleur and Kafka are all guys who have been previously blocked from OC interviews and would all be good young hires. Saleh is a guy the team will play for and seems like someone who could  thrive in the CEO role. It would be a good hire. I also don’t think Gases input had a huge effect on Joe D’s draft plans. Joe D’s knows this offense needs work and there’s no way he’s gonna compromise himself by ignoring that side of the ball 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Jets tend to do better with defensive coaches: Rex Ryan, Hmmm Herm Edwards! See....

26 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Cause that is what hiring a defense coach will create- I don’t care who the hire is.

He’s not drafting the players... JD is. JD has a vision for this team and it starts in the trenches. DL is solid, OL is not. 

He’ll take the coaches suggestions and try to give him input but in the end it’s Douglas’ team to build for the coach to develop 

• Upvote 1

Saleh is linked to a few good offensive minds - I also heard he was a pretty good tight end in college, so he knows offense. Kafka is linked to him, the guy who some think should get more credit for the development of Mahomes.

Mike McDaniel and Mike LaFleur are top assistants to Kyle Shannahan, a pretty good offensive mind.

33 minutes ago, QB1 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

just cause he was most recently the Def coordinator from a good team doesn't mean he wont be a good OFF minded HC. That is the whole point..we are not hiring a coordinator we are hirign a HC and one that comes from a successful team with a successful off seems pretty good to me.

• Upvote 1

What a giant FU from Woody this would be.

Forever and ever, we hired rookie defensive minded head coaches and it never worked and we complained.

Finally last time, we were like, "Hey Woody, try something different.  Hire an offensive head coach with experience".

So the MFer hires the worst candidate in the history of candidates. 

And now, he says "See, I listened to the fans and it didn't work"  So, back to rookie defensive head coaches.

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2021 at 5:42 PM, QB1 said:

This is the worst logic ever

A defensive HC who planned his defenses around stopping an offense has no clue about the offensive side of the ball?  Yeah, why?

And then theres Weeb, Landry, Shula, Parcells, Belichick, Cowher, etc.  They had shltty offenses, right?

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

People want a team identity? The New York Jets have an identity. It’s sh*t offense. That’s who we are. Saleh seems like a strong candidate and I don’t care if we have a sh*t offense or not. We have had a sh*t offense forever. 

I, too, like to stay in my comfort zone.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Rappaport said Saleh is only one of a number of coaches who will get 2nd round interviews. It makes sense Saleh is the first since he had one of the earlier virtual interviews. Guys in the playoffs can't meet either. Still greater than 50% chance he is not the coach.

And this makes little sense, they dont have to bring in more than one person in for a 2nd interview.  I would bring in my first choice and if all goes right offer him the job.  They all dont have to go through a 2nd interview for no reason 

41 minutes ago, QB1 said:

3 this season.  Buffalo (Sean McDermott former DC), Tennessee (Mike Vrabel, former DC)and Minnesota (Mike Zimmer, former DC).  All top 5 total offense this season.  Buffalo and  Tennessee are top 5 in scoring offense this year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, QB1 said:

The GM makes the picks not the HC. The problem we've had is having morons as GM. I'm presuming JD isn't a moron. So no, we won't be drafting DT year after year with a SS mixed in. Joe D has already draft a OT and WR in the first tow rounds which he has drafted have faith, for now.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

3 this season.  Buffalo (Sean McDermott former DC), Tennessee (Mike Vrabel, former DC)and Minnesota (Mike Zimmer, former DC).  All top 5 total offense this season.  Buffalo and  Tennessee are top 5 in scoring offense this year. 

Great! 

49 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Lol. Literally 3 of the top 5 offenses have defensive HCs. 

And all 3 drafted offense in the first round. You’re not good at this game. 

The only issue with a defensive coach over an offensive coach is when they sacrifice the offense for the sake of defensive statistics.  I loved Rex, but he seemed guilty of this at times.  Part of that was that Sanchez was so bad and they could win with D (at least at first) but there were times when it seemed like they would sacrifice points for defensive statistics.  As long as your defensive coach would rather win 38-34, than lose 9-6 it's fine.

• Upvote 1

The Jets want a head coach as CEO.  Meaning he isn't responsible for the micromanaging of the defense or the offense; he is responsible for hiring qualified people who are.

Past Jets head coaches since Parcells were all defensive coordinators who focused too much on the defense, had no balance.  Gase was an attempt to do it from the offensive side, and didn't do anything on the defensive side.  Salah, or whoever the next Jets head coach is, will be hired to be a Parcells-type, overseeing everything and thus not micromanaging anything.

SAR I

• Upvote 2