is from the defensive side of the ball but he's a "total HC" and hired
Daboll to coach/develop Allen into an MVP candidate.  And Saban also
was from the defensive side of the ball but they score 40+ points a
game.  Why?  Because he also is a "total HC" and he cares about the whole
team.  That's what matters

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

People want a team identity? The New York Jets have an identity. It’s sh*t offense. That’s who we are. Saleh seems like a strong candidate and I don’t care if we have a sh*t offense or not. We have had a sh*t offense forever. 

that's the spirit!

Leader. Of. Men.

The next head coach needs to oversee the entire team and not focus on one side of the ball. I hope Joe Douglas understands this concept and hires the right candidate. I'm not going to judge without seeing a single game and evaluating how the operation is being run.

Offensive. Defensive. I don't care. I just want someone who is going to take responsibility of the entire team, build a solid staff around him, garner respect from all players, instill a culture of discipline, and make aggressive in-game decisions.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

Cause that is what hiring a defense coach will create- I don’t care who the hire is.

I like Saleh too but this is my biggest concern. Are we going back to drafting D linemen in the first?

Has ANY defensive coach put out a top 5 offense in the last decade?

that is just so foolish.  the bellichicken did pretty well with his offenses.  so did parcells. mike tomlin too.  and going back a ways, tom landry always had a good offense and shula turned marino loose.  the bills have a good offense as do the sea hawks.  both of those coaches are from the defense.  it happens way more often that you might think or want.

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Top 5 offenses based on PPG over the last decade.

2020 - McDermott, Vrabel
2018 - Belichick
2017 - Belichick
2016 - Quinn, Belichick
2015 - Rivera, Belichick, Tomlin, Carroll
2014 - Fox, Belichick
2013 - Fox, Belichick
2012 - Belichick, Fox
2011 - Belichick, Schwartz

That's 18 times, so only about twice a year.

and let's not forget delete pete up in seattle.  i'm sure the seahawks are right up there.

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

Cause that is what hiring a defense coach will create- I don’t care who the hire is.

I like Saleh too but this is my biggest concern. Are we going back to drafting D linemen in the first?

only one choice

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, QB1 said:

I’m pretty sure many records are currently held by offenses who played under defensive coaches is like John fox and BB

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, QB1 said:

765.jpg.cf8d6234b7303d80d302028e97268f18.jpg

Do you have ******* Brain Damage?

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Leader. Of. Men.

The next head coach needs to oversee the entire team and not focus on one side of the ball. I hope Joe Douglas understands this concept and hires the right candidate. I'm not going to judge without seeing a single game and evaluating how the operation is being run.

Offensive. Defensive. I don't care. I just want someone who is going to take responsibility of the entire team, build a solid staff around him, garner respect from all players, instill a culture of discipline, and make aggressive in-game decisions.

Interestingly, that is how Nick Wagoner, ESPN NFL 49ers reporter, describes Saleh's biggest strength: "Leader of men. Saleh's players love him for his detailed approach, but it's his willingness to gather feedback and evolve based on what he sees that has left multiple 49ers defenders calling him the most intelligent coach they have ever had."

It is not that he is a defensive guru coming in to implement his defense but that he is open to hearing possible solutions and finding the best one.  A great trait to have as a "CEO-type" head coach.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Belichick is the greatest defensive coach of all time. He's been okay with offense.

We need a leader of men , a guy who commands the room and the facility. Saleh is clearly that type of guy . We can’t get caught up in chasing the next offensive genius. You can still win with a defensive culture , especially in the northeast. I would love this hire if it happens . 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, QB1 said:

Sean McDermott - The 2020 season

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Top 5 offenses based on PPG over the last decade.

2020 - McDermott, Vrabel
2018 - Belichick
2017 - Belichick
2016 - Quinn, Belichick
2015 - Rivera, Belichick, Tomlin, Carroll
2014 - Fox, Belichick
2013 - Fox, Belichick
2012 - Belichick, Fox
2011 - Belichick, Schwartz

That's 18 times, so only about twice a year.

Brady, Big Ben, Russell Wilson, MVP Cam, Peyton Manning, MVP Ryan..... sounds like the Jets need to find a top tier QB(or find a 2000 yard manbeast)

• Sympathy 1

He started our as a star TE at a Div 2 school.  It's not like he's Rex who learned from his dad, "Three big offensive plays and blitz the hell out of them."  Offensive will be a big part of the change in organizational philosophy.  My guess is he knows where football already is... not where it's going.

3 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

What was wrong with your old user name again? 

Easier for some people to create a new identity than take their lumps for being wrong on an Internet messageboard. Snowflake is the word you are looking for 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The only issue with a defensive coach over an offensive coach is when they sacrifice the offense for the sake of defensive statistics.  I loved Rex, but he seemed guilty of this at times.  Part of that was that Sanchez was so bad and they could win with D (at least at first) but there were times when it seemed like they would sacrifice points for defensive statistics.  As long as your defensive coach would rather win 38-34, than lose 9-6 it's fine.

Yes x10. This is part of the problem with the Jets “fail slowly” approach. Both Rex and Bowles were left on the hot seat far too long. Can’t blame them for looking ahead to their next job interview by polishing up the CV a bit in their area of expertise. An NFL firing should be more like a guillotine than a strangling.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jolot said:

We need a leader of men , a guy who commands the room and the facility. Saleh is clearly that type of guy . We can’t get caught up in chasing the next offensive genius. You can still win with a defensive culture , especially in the northeast. I would love this hire if it happens . 

I was making a similar point the other day in asking why Joe Brady was getting interviews. Brady scared me, this hire I would feel much better about.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, QB1 said:

Let me blow up your post with two facts....

4 of the top 8 scoring offenses in the NFL have head coaches that are not guys from the offense. Seattle, Buffalo, Baltimore, Tennessee.

Saleh doesn’t do the drafting.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, addage said:

I’ll ask this question again. Is there any coach out there who could get better than 50% support from the fan base?

Only guys who are rumored to become the head coach. Once they were actually hired their support drops like a rock.

We seem to want what we can’t get. Then, once we get it, we want to get rid of it.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Let me blow up your post with two facts....

4 of the top 8 scoring offenses in the NFL have had coaches that are not guys from the office. Seattle, Buffalo, Baltimore, Tennessee.

Saleh doesn’t do the drafting.

All their OC's, besides Schotty, are Head Coach candidates though.  Schotty actually made them a top 10 offense but that doesn't cut it there.  Having a capable QB helps obviously.

The goal in hiring a Head Coach is to hire a Head Coach lol.

It doesn't matter what side of the ball they come from. 

The idea that the Jets can't be good on offense because they hire a defensive coordinator to be Head Coach or vice versa is stupid. If Saleh is a good Head Coach he'll build a team the right way and it won't matter what side of the ball he came from.

If he is even the guy they end up hiring.

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

This is the worst logic ever

A defensive HC who planned his defenses around stopping an offense has no clue about the offensive side of the ball.  Yeah, why?

And then theres Weeb, Landry, Shula, Parcells, Belichick, Cowher, etc.  They had shltty offenses, right?

You expected more from the OP?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

All their OC's, besides Schotty, are Head Coach candidates though.  Schotty actually made them a top 10 offense but that doesn't cut it there.

That’s what happens. If the overall team is good then you look at the coordinator who is from the other side of the ball than the head coach.

49ers went to the Super Bowl last year with an offensive head coach. We’re about to hire the DC from there. Same thing with the DC in Indianapolis. That’s kind of how it works these days.

16 hours ago, QB1 said:

JD likes his job.  The job pays big money.  Groceries cost lots of money.  JD loves groceries.  Drafting DL in the first takes that job away. JD likes his job.

I Know That You Will Catch Me When I Fall | ...More Than ...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Leader. Of. Men.

Gase was so checked out on the defense, ashtyn davis never met Dowell loggains

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

You expected more from the OP?

This dude qb1 is named after the Netflix series starring Justin fields 

Keep that in mind every post he makes is through the lens of Jets getting Justin fields 

He's actually admirable how single minded in approach. Relentless