Head coaches with no previous experience

AFJF

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Correct.  How many of them turned bad teams around in their first gig and won a ring?  Oh, and within their first 15 years.

About the same percentage of first round QBs that won rings. When the rewards are great, so must be the risk.

I think FQBs and HCs are kind of similar. Good ones are rare and the sample size is pretty limited. Hard to make any statistically-significant conclusions as to where is the best place to find a successful one. I know the NFL is a copy-cat league and teams will chase the next hot thing -- remember when the league went nuts hiring anyone who once shook McVay's hand? But despite the trend-chasing, the league has cracked neither the good HC or FQB code.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Prove it

Tom Landry might have been born in a suit and hat on the sideline. Everyone else though.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

First time HC's suck.  Former coaches who have won a Super Bowl suck.  And we just learned that hiring a HC who sucked at his first stop will suck at his 2nd one as well.

By JN logic, no HC hired will succeed, ever.  

Perfect is the enemy of the good.

All Ohio State QBs suck.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't think every guy who would make  a good head coach is currently a head coach.  Sometimes the owners get it wrong.

But I get it.  Time for optimism.  Ignore the results and tell ourselves Saleh is finally the one.

Skeptical but hopeful. Basically the status quo.