Head coaches with no previous experience

AFJF

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Been a fan for about 35 years.  Trying to recall how many times I've seen a first-time head coach take over a bad team and win a ring.  Off the top of my head I can think of Doug Pederson and Mike McCarthy.  I guess Billick did it too but what an aberration..."offensive guru" whose team couldn't find the end zone but had arguably the best defense of all time.  Oh, Harbaugh and Payton too.  So four or five times in 35 years?

Who am I missing?

Dude who took over for Walsh in SF.  I forget his name.

Ditka.   Holmgren.    Jimmy Johnson    Barry Switzer    Kubiak    Parcells       Gibbs     Walsh     Lombardi    Pederson      Madden 

Flores      

Others with good success, Reid in Philly, Dungy with TB, Rivera in Carolina, Reeves in Denver,  Vermeil in Philly.  

I mean, there are only 33 different head coaches who have a SB ring.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

George Seifert. To be fair though, I'm pretty sure you or I could've gotten the 89 Niners to the SB. 

Thanks.   Same with Switzer.

I looked it up, about 50% of the SB won were by coaches on their 1st go around.  BB by himself swings it by winning 6 on his 2nd go around.   Saying most 1st time HC don't win a SB is kind of a silly comment.   Most coaches never win a SB at all, again there are only 33 total who have won.  

I mean, when Andy Reid shook lose a few years ago, some posters didn't want him because he had never won a SB, he only made 4 NFL title games and 1 Super Bowl.   Meanwhile others want Rex back because he made it to back to back AFC championships.

• Upvote 1