Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

Joe Jets fan

I said this in a different thread a few weeks back, but Saleh is my favorite.  Not who I think the Jets will get, but who I would take of the people interviewing.

Of all the coordinators in the mix, I just am impressed with his unit the most.  The are very sound schematically, always prepared, play hard and play well without loads of talent(this year at least). 

Throw in the fact, as others have said, he has 2 possible bright young OC candidates, he's very intriguing.

The only reason I hold out hope for him is it seems Douglas and Saleh are cut from the same cloth, so maybe they connect and that's the deciding factor, but I think he's a long shot at best.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I like the Youth and Energy ... tbh don't know enough about him to make an educated opinion.  I don't remember hearing anything stellar about SFs passing game. 

But hey if the Football God's respect him we could do worse.

I am interested in the Fitzgerald interview more. But am open to something like this. Shannahan's Offenses typically put up points.

He's a defensive coordinator.  Even if you had heard about San Francisco's passing game, he'd have nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jbt said:

1. McDaniel is the star.

Remember all those new run plays and wrinkles the 49ers used for the first time in 2019? Those probably came from McDaniel. Shanahan and his father are zone-blocking purists. McDaniel is a run-game genius who has mastered every blocking scheme. Most teams would love to have him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-the-49ers-probably-will-lose-mike-lafleur-and-mike-mcdaniel-in-2021

Imagine him putting Becton to use in the run game.

lisa simpson bulldozer GIF

• Haha 1

Hopefully he brings Keaton Verrett and Kerry Hyder with him.

Gotta admit, I figured the news would break by now if it were going to break tonight.  And if it doesn't break tonight, I'm not as sure as I was 6 hours ago that Saleh will be coach.

Hope I'm wrong and they get it done.

• Upvote 2

People are assuming it fell through because the team site posted the interview is complete?

Why?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Marshmello said:

wtf...

That's not exact reporting.  Those are the only possible outcomes of any search.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I'm not giving up hope.  If Matt Campbell honored his commitments like this half the board would build him a statue.  Maybe he simply wants to make sure no stone is unturned and make sure he's 100% sure the Jets is the job he wants.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I gave Michael Mania shot on Twitter based in some suggestions here and whatever he adds as far as X and O insight he negates by lashing out like a 14 year old in other areas.

• Haha 2

Yeah Michael Nania seems to be a 14 year old.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Pretty amazing how fast this went from Saleh is a good candidate --> Saleh is the best candidate --> we need to hire Saleh today --> hiring Saleh is literally the only outcome I will be ok with

It's funny. I've said for weeks now, even before before the process started I thought Saleh was the best candidate.  But I never thought we'd have a shot.  Until last night.  Then now my hopes are dashed (a bit, still don't think it's over) and I'm still not nearly as upset as some!  A sea of emotions this place!

• Upvote 3

Maybe it's been said, I think he's just making 100% he's certain because I'm guessing at the beginning of this process he didn't picture himself with the Jets.  The fact that he's a Michigan native, had Michigan politicians writing the Lions to hire him and seemingly was always probably a good bet to go to the Lions has to give him at least a desire to step back for one second and make sure he's completely comfortable. 

All the sudden you and the Jets brass hit it off and you are to a point you didn't envision being two weeks ago.  I'd take a second to step back too.  I'd also meet with the Eagles to make sure I still felt the same way about the other job.

The other possibility is he was ready to jump and we didn't.  Who knows.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Better ownership, better roster, probably offering a better number

I don't think many exec/coach types would agree the Eagles are in a better spot roster wise going forward.

• Upvote 2