Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

Joe Jets fan

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Question:

Why are people assuming that Saleh would be bringing the SF offensive system with him from SF? Did Rex bring the Ravens offense with him when he came to the Jets? 

I think this is an extremely tenuous assumption - as is the assumption that the hire gives us any obvious hint as to what the Jets will do at QB. 

Rex did bring the ground and pound from the Ravens.

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

? That was his offensive philosophy. It had nothing to do with the Ravens. He kept Schotty as the OC . . . 

Right.  Rex kept Scotty, or was forced to keep Scotty, and told Scotty to run the ball.   Can't say how much Rex coming from the running Ravens influenced it.

To get back on point.... We don't know if a defensive coach will bring his prior team's offensive philosophy with him as you accurately pointed out earlier, and we don't know Seleh's offensive philosophy as of yet. 

We don't even know, with this effing team, if he will even be allowed to hire his own OC.

19 minutes ago, Facts said:

I would think the games against your divisional foes would be weighted a bit heavier.

That was one of the justifications for hiring Gaze.  Remember?  I think Gaze had 3 wins in 3 years against the evil Bellicheat.

Do we know if the Jets made an offer to anyone? 

19 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Every coach being considered for a HC job right now has a thin NFL resume (including Meyer)  other than Lewis and I want no part of him.  17 years with  a few playoff appearances and zero playoff wins is not what I want to sign up for here. We've been down that road from 2001-2010.  Brady, Smith, Saleh, Staley, Daboll..... It's going to be a leap of faith.  That's why I preferred Harbaugh and would have offered him a ton of money before he re-upped with Mighigan.  He has proven NFL success.  Of the list of who remains, I prefer Saleh at this point based purely on what I have read and my preference for the Shannahan coaching tree.  Brady has proven nothing and is a blank page.  I do not think what Smith built in Tennessee (ground and pound with a retread QB who is merely good) wins titles in the NFL.  Staley is unproven and the shine is off the McVay tree right now. Daboll had 4 months of success preceded by a few years of mediocrity and comes from the Bellichick tree, which is basically barren.  

Good post.  We always get rookie head coaches and they make rookie mistakes and gain experience on our dime.  ( fixed: more like on our nickle).

Pederson would be the most accomplished head coach we've had since Parcells.  Maybe we're not hiring because Pederson is the real target.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

If Pederson really got kicked out of Philadeliphia because he wanted to play Hurts and Roseman and Lurie wanted Wentz, he's not coming here unless Douglas is going to let him get rid of Darnold.

Sam = Wentz-lite

19 minutes ago, rayzor said:

It's actually the team that helps to develop the minority coaches and executives that get the comp picks.  So in this case, the Rams will get the picks.

yeah, it's an effed up rule.  If we hire someone from Patriots or Dolphins for example, they get two 3rd rounders.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

and if we develop minority coaches and front office personnel and they get hired, we get picks.  

yep, head coach or GM.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-just-earned-two-extra-draft-picks-thanks-to-a-new-nfl-rule-and-the-saints-could-be-next/#:~:text=According to multiple reports%2C Holmes,second one coming in 2022.

another rookie defensive head coach .. yawn.