Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

Joe Jets fan

I don’t know why I have always had a bad feeling about him as a potential coach. Just a gut instinct.

seems like a great guy and I have absolutely nothing to base it on, just was always a “I have a bad feeling if we get him” kinda guy. 

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Mike Garafolo@MikeGarafolo 14m

Saleh was initially thought to be a lock for the #Lions. I believe it might be #Jets or bust for him. He’s made it through to Round 2, so that’s a good sign for him.

This is concerning. 

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Refresh our memories.... what did fg say? I remember he posted something

His source said It was Saleh and they we’re trying to schedule an in person interview but they had to contact the league and expected to hear back in 24-48 hrs(fell right in that timeframe too I believe)

Unrelated to everything earlier today I finally figured out why I always had a bad feeling about him. I never could put a handle on it until this morning. 

To me, He looks like James Franklin from PSU and as a Penn Star fan I hate that dude and cringe every time I see him. Haha

im fine with Saleh now Joe aDouglas. Please feel free to hire him. You have my blessing. If that was the hold up, just issue the contract now. This matter has been resolved. 

thanks. 

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

For what it's worth ...

Pretty sure that’s just some random dude. A lot of people calling the bluff in the comments. 

would be nice if true though. 

I don’t want to feel like it’s all doom and gloom but it’s kinda hard not to. Especially after reading, watching, and listening to how great this would be for us from so many different people. 

damn.

20 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I can confirm all of @Mogglez info in here as I have heard the same basically after reading through all my stuff from last night (i admittedly go to bed early and my guys text me late).  I think Saleh is very in play, as is Smith... I get the sense from people I've talked about that I can go either way as both guys are similar but offer different pros. I think it seems like Smith will take more second round interviews so whether the jets continue interviewing or start hard negotiations with one or both candidates I do not know. 

I say this next piece now not as what i have heard directly but more so reading the tea leaves on the situation based on things that have been said.  Saleh I get the sense they think will be a really good fit personality wise for the city and the team, on top of being what they think will be a really good HC and all the positives that go with his coaching prowess. 

The same I think goes for Smith, however I think his personality doesnt play the way Salehs does here.  What Smith has over Saleh though makes things interesting.  @football guy brought this up in another thread and I thought it made an excellent point.  Both guys are gunning for the same OC candidates, so offensively to start their plans are the same.  The issue later becomes when those guys are hired away from the staff Saleh has to start over, while Smith at least can keep continuity by calling the plays himself unless he finds a coordinator he loves to replace them.  

So reading the tea leaves here, it becomes a really interesting decision.  If both candidates are equal in your eyes do you go with the guy that has the charisma and energy that can spark the team and the city, or do you go with the guy that maybe can bring more stability offensively because he can call plays?  I'm not sure thats what it boils down to but thats where my head has been during this whole situation. 

For me this team needs Saleh for the reason you mentioned. 

I’m not as well versed in Smith’s resume but Saleh to me would help bring an identity to the team and that most important. That is something we haven’t had for years other than “hot garbage”

also when it comes to players in Free Agency, I feel like he could attract them more and although we have a good amount of cap room, so do some other teams that need a lot of help. If the deals are similar, he might be able to give us the tiebreaker. 

that’s not to diminish the potential issue down the line with an OC leaving, but if you have faith in the system and the coach creating a pipeline then you need to do just that. 

if you don’t have the faith in him, then You should know he isn’t your answer. 

• Upvote 4