Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

No, I’m not. There is no “Arab” option on the official census or applying for a job. If anything he can put Asian (where Lebanon is) and maybe that would work. But you’re incorrect. 

I  never said there was an Arab option on the census. But Saleh is considered a minority hire by the NFL. Maybe try doing a little research? In any case, conversation is done.

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I  never said there was an Arab option on the census. But Saleh is considered a minority hire by the NFL. Maybe try doing a little research? In any case, conversation is done.

Its a fair question, why would he be a minority hire?  I always took is as a black hire.  Im Greek, that the minority, does it make me a minority hire?  Asians?  Women?  Who isnt a minority then?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I hate when a post disappears. 

Rewritten: 

There’s speculation Staley will hesitate on leaving LAR this offseason and may not take a job even if offered. Don’t know how legitimate this is or if it’s just agency posturing, but bears watching. I would think he’d be a finalist otherwise. 

Detroit is looking for a diplomat, and Saleh does not fit that billing. He comes off as aloof when dealing with non-football types, which could explain why his interview was a turnoff. 

When you're a team like Det, WTF do you care about how he does with "non-football types"? You looking for a coach or a keynote speaker at you're save the spotted owls fundraiser? I'm sure Matt Patricia looked great in a tux ?

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

When you're a team like Det, WTF do you care about how he does with "non-football types"? You looking for a coach or a keynote speaker at you're save the spotted owls fundraiser? I'm sure Matt Patricia looked great in a tux ?

They don't have a GM yet so they have advisors and consultants running their process right now. Typically they've had the general manager make these hires (hence Matt Patricia) 

I agree. A lot of teams are running these coaching searches simultaneous with the GM search, but in reality they should either commit to hiring a coach who will pick the GM/run football ops or hire a GM first. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Why is this sh*t still allowed to be said here?

I'm usually sensitive to these things too but I believe what he's referring to is that in a cigar store they have native American statues so he's saying Bowles was a statue on the sidelines. That's how I'm seeing this anyway. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

They don't have a GM yet so they have advisors and consultants running their process right now. Typically they've had the general manager make these hires (hence Matt Patricia) 

I agree. A lot of teams are running these coaching searches simultaneous with the GM search, but in reality they should either commit to hiring a coach who will pick the GM/run football ops or hire a GM first. 

I thought they hired Spielman as President of Operations, no?

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its a fair question, why would he be a minority hire?  I always took is as a black hire.  Im Greek, that the minority, does it make me a minority hire?  Asians?  Women?  Who isnt a minority then?  

I don't know. Ask Roger Goodell.

Lions Hiring Robert Saleh Would Yield 49ers Two Draft Picks

JOHN MAAKARON DECEMBER 11, 2020

At this point in the Detroit Lions' head coaching search, San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh is the front-runner to succeed Matt Patricia.

According to NBC Sports, "Kyle Shanahan & Co. of course hope Saleh stays in Santa Clara for 2021 and beyond. But, the 49ers wouldn't be empty-handed if he's hired away. Saleh's parents are Lebanese American, and the NFL last month passed a rule that rewards teams that developed minority coaches. The 49ers would receive a third-round draft pick in each of the next two NFL drafts."

There are several reasons why Saleh has become such an appealing coach to bring to Detroit, including being a hometown figure, his fiery personality, his love of football and his ability to relate to players.

The latest player to sing the praises of the up-and-coming coach is 49ers linebacker Dre Greenlaw.

"Just his passion. I mean his love for the game -- he loves the game of football. You can tell just by the way he studies, the way that he prepares. Just his relationship with us, really," Greenlaw said this week on 95.7 The Game's "Damon, Ratto & Kolsky" show. "Just building relationships with each and every person, that's what people love to play for -- a coach that really cares about his players and appreciates that players are putting in the work."

Detroit has four games remaining on its schedule, starting with the Green Bay Packers visiting Ford Field this Sunday for an NFC North divisional matchup.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-hiring-saleh-is-minority-hire

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

I mean, I was directly replying to someone's comment correct? 

Everybody knows that if you want to have a private 1:1 conversation with another poster you should have it openly in the most popular thread on the forum today. 

• Haha 1

My Choice of words may be somewhat unpopular. Of all the bitching that goes on here oh, do you think maybe somebody could look this guy up on Wikipedia and look at his credentials? LOL

I mean seriously I'm reading this forum and people are talking about him being an arab and that he looks like Vin Diesel? If you go to wikipedia.com and put his name in there's a section that says coaching and it lists all of his experience.

You can also do the same with Adam Gase or Brian Daboll even.The reason I mentioned those two guys names as they are way more experienced.

I've also looked up interviews with Saleh and he's not really energetic in fact he's very passive except during the game on the sidelines. The players do have really good things to say about him and he speaks of reciprocating the respect back to the players.

I'm not saying I don't like the guy or wouldn't give him a shot but his only experience noteworthy thus far is with Seattle in 2013 and Frisco in 2017.

Not trying to be smug or snarky or a dickwad but I think we should worry a little bit more about his experience as a football coach than whether or not he has a bald head. Lol

I will say I looked up an interview on YouTube and I was very impressed by what he had to say and how he presented himself. I think it's very different than some of you guys are thinking

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I thought the same thing. I think this whole affirmative action attempt is a bit much. I'm a sicilian, italian, lebanese, syrian, egyptian catholic. Am I a minority? All I know is when forced to fill out a form they tell me I'm white... the whole thing is dumb if you ask me. 

Many times people/institutions overcomplicate things. What started out as a singular good objective - promote diversity and achieve equality in coaching - has evolved into irrational overcompensation. Now you have organizations who abuse the system by interviewing candidates who they won't hire simply because of a box they check in the "race" category of their application, you'll have teams who overpay certain "black" candidates to be members on their staff - no matter the capacity - to gain a competitive advantage for draft compensatory picks (i.e. if the Jets were to hire Marvin Lewis as a "consultant" which requires minimal involvement with the team, and he were to get hired as a HC or GM next year, the Jets would get a 3rd round pick). And the most obvious: qualified candidates getting pushed down because of the color of their skin for the sake of PR (this is the dilemma Atlanta is facing right now... they really like Smith and Brady but their plan all along was to hire a minority). 

The whole thing is a little much for me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

At this point in the Detroit Lions' head coaching search, San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh is the front-runner to succeed Matt Patricia.

According to NBC Sports, "Kyle Shanahan & Co. of course hope Saleh stays in Santa Clara for 2021 and beyond. But, the 49ers wouldn't be empty-handed if he's hired away. Saleh's parents are Lebanese American, and the NFL last month passed a rule that rewards teams that developed minority coaches. The 49ers would receive a third-round draft pick in each of the next two NFL drafts."

Damn! Gase was obviously handicapped emotionally and cognitively..... do we get two additional 3rd round picks?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

If were going with a DC we might as well interview Staley with the Rams.  Why hire the 2nd best DC in the division?

Best DC doesn't always equal best HC.  If that were true, then Jim Schwartz wouldn't have been a complete disaster as a HC.  Same with Wade Phillips.  

It's all about personality and what kind of staff he can assemble, especially at OC.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I like this take very much, though its brevity rubs me the wrong way somehow. Who cares if he is appropriately asskissy in an interview? Bowles is probably the most polite MFer the league has seen in decades. I'm ****ing polite & asskissy in an interview (Mr. Hyde appears later).

If he's not oblivious to what goes on outside his expertise silo, and its a smart guy & personable enough with the players (but not verbally spooning them when they **** up), then by all means hire him. 

Pederson was my 1st choice because IMO there's no substitute for experience (or more correctly, experience that has resulted in the highest success possible), but I've little doubt JD conducted an unofficial talk/interview with his buddy on the phone before he released his statement about taking a year off. So that option aside, from all accounts Saleh seems like a top guy we'd be lucky to have.

These are exactly my feelings as well.  I wanted Pederson, but I wanted him mainly for the HC experience he brings and the little fact the guy won a SB but he wanted some time and I can't say I blame him due to the stress the position can bring at times. Saleh will bring some of the passion we lost the last 6 + years along with being a solid coach I'm sure he and Douglas would be a great team.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

These are exactly my feelings as well.  I wanted Pederson, but I wanted him mainly for the HC experience he brings and the little fact the guy won a SB but he wanted some time and I can't say I blame him due to the stress the position can bring at times. Saleh will bring some of the passion we lost the last 6 + years along with being a solid coach I'm sure he and Douglas would be a great team.

Saleh will exhibit more passion in his opening press conference than Bowles and Gase did in six years along the sidelines.

And I'm absolutely on board with that.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

sjm-saleh.jpg?w=640

If you like the rah-rah emotional sideline prancer, the Pete Carroll 1994 type, he's your man.

Updated List:

Pederson:  Yes
Daboll:  Yes
Brady:  Yes
Saleh:  Yes
Glenn:  Yes
---------
Bienemy:  NO
Lewis:  NO
Mullen:  NO
Martindale:  NO
---------
Graham:  Declined
Harbaugh:  Declined
Campbell:  Declined

SAR I

Wh was the hell is going on I like your list...we haven't agreed on coach since gase. Glad you have opened your eyes a little and like actual good coaches now

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

There are several reasons why Saleh has become such an appealing coach to bring to Detroit, including being a hometown figure, his fiery personality, his love of football and his ability to relate to players.

The latest player to sing the praises of the up-and-coming coach is 49ers linebacker Dre Greenlaw.

"Just his passion. I mean his love for the game -- he loves the game of football. You can tell just by the way he studies, the way that he prepares. Just his relationship with us, really," Greenlaw said this week on 95.7 The Game's "Damon, Ratto & Kolsky" show. "Just building relationships with each and every person, that's what people love to play for -- a coach that really cares about his players and appreciates that players are putting in the work."

Detroit has four games remaining on its schedule, starting with the Green Bay Packers visiting Ford Field this Sunday for an NFC North divisional matchup.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-hiring-saleh-is-minority-hire

Thanks

It still was a question worth asking and no matter the defining still questioning.  

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Rooney Rule applies to "ethnic-minorities"

Ethnic-minorities are people who have different cultural backgrounds and traditions than the general population.  As a Muslin Arab-American of Lebanese descent, I'm pretty confident he would qualify under the rule.

The more important question is...can he get us to the playoffs in the next couple of years.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Pete Carroll was not given a fair shake here.....      Saleh, gave me pause but after reading his bio, Im good. 

This is a mindset I will never understand.  Carroll moved backed down to coordinator level, failed at his second round as HC, then went off to college for a friggin' decade, before coming back and eventually seeing success as an NFL head coach.  It's not like he was an immediate success by any measure after being fired from the Jets.  I think it's fairly reasonable to say that he may have learned a thing or two over the course of 16 years, that wouldn't have translated to simply keeping him around so long ago without any of that.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

My Choice of words may be somewhat unpopular. Of all the bitching that goes on here oh, do you think maybe somebody could look this guy up on Wikipedia and look at his credentials? LOL

I mean seriously I'm reading this forum and people are talking about him being an arab and that he looks like Vin Diesel? If you go to wikipedia.com and put his name in there's a section that says coaching and it lists all of his experience.

You can also do the same with Adam Gase or Brian Daboll even.The reason I mentioned those two guys names as they are way more experienced.

I've also looked up interviews with Saleh and he's not really energetic in fact he's very passive except during the game on the sidelines. The players do have really good things to say about him and he speaks of reciprocating the respect back to the players.

I'm not saying I don't like the guy or wouldn't give him a shot but his only experience noteworthy thus far is with Seattle in 2013 and Frisco in 2017.

Not trying to be smug or snarky or a dickwad but I think we should worry a little bit more about his experience as a football coach than whether or not he has a bald head. Lol

I will say I looked up an interview on YouTube and I was very impressed by what he had to say and how he presented himself. I think it's very different than some of you guys are thinking

Where has "experience" gotten this organization since the year 2000???

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Rooney Rule applies to "ethnic-minorities"

Ethnic-minorities are people who have different cultural backgrounds and traditions than the general population.  As Muslin Arab-American of Lebanese descent, I'm pretty confident he would qualify under the rule.

The more important question is...can he get us to the playoffs in the next couple of years.

If he can make a great phyllo dough he moves up on my list.  Nothing better than Lebanese baklava.  

• Upvote 1