Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

This is a mindset I will never understand.  Carroll moved backed down to coordinator level, failed at his second round as HC, then went off to college for a friggin' decade, before coming back and eventually seeing success as an NFL head coach.  It's not like he was an immediate success by any measure after being fired from the Jets.  I think it's fairly reasonable to say that he may have learned a thing or two over the course of 16 years, that wouldn't have translated to simply keeping him around so long ago without any of that.

It's almost as if his entire success as an NFL HC coincided with drafting Russell Wilson. People forget Carroll was 14-18 his first 2 years in Seattle, then they drafted Wilson in 2012 and all of a sudden Pete Carroll is a great HC. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It's almost as if his entire success as an NFL HC coincided with drafting Russell Wilson. People forget Carroll was 14-18 his first 2 years in Seattle, then they drafted Wilson in 2012 and all of a sudden Pete Carroll is a great HC. 

Umm...there was this thing called the Legion of Boom as well.  That had something to do with their success, no?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I like this take very much, though its brevity rubs me the wrong way somehow. Who cares if he is appropriately asskissy in an interview? Bowles is probably the most polite MFer the league has seen in decades. I'm ****ing polite & asskissy in an interview (Mr. Hyde appears later).

If he's not oblivious to what goes on outside his expertise silo, and its a smart guy & personable enough with the players (but not verbally spooning them when they **** up), then by all means hire him. 

Pederson was my 1st choice because IMO there's no substitute for experience (or more correctly, experience that has resulted in the highest success possible), but I've little doubt JD conducted an unofficial talk/interview with his buddy on the phone before he released his statement about taking a year off. So that option aside, from all accounts Saleh seems like a top guy we'd be lucky to have.

Yeah I don’t disagree if I’m understanding you correctly. There is no right way to be a successful coach, Pete Carroll is the poster boy for animated and involved and he’s been successful for many years whereas Belichick rarely rents and raves but you know he’s totally engaged in the team(including specials)...

I don’t remember if he was always that way, maybe he’s evolved with experience.....that’s the other thing, we expect our guy to be great from the gun, like everything in life you can improve with experience. As of now Joe Douglas has made a few dubious moves as GM but he’s also got some right, the hope is as a first time GM he learns from his early errors and improves significantly, eradicates the missteps, and nails the role going forward. If we go first time HC we have to be prepared to accept that too. The new guy, if it’s a guy like Saleh, has to be cut some slack....we aren’t getting Belichick or Carroll right off the bat. The best we can hope for is a McVay or McDermott.

For me the bottom line is a HC has to be across everything but equally able to hand over to, and trust, his other coaches and players. It’s for that reason I’m not wedded to it having to be an offensive minded guy, it could be a special teams coach if he’s got the necessary ability to teach and motivate and build a culture of winning.

if we have to go first time HC then Saleh appeals and I’ll be honest I just want to see some fire and passion because it feels like it’s been absent forever with this team and it’s a sport where fire and passion is part of the fabric....the DNA.....  but I’d accept it is in no way a necessity or guide to how successful or otherwise he may be as a HC.....fire and passion is nothing without discipline, a culture of accountability and hard work, a scheme that brings the best out of players rather than tries to shoehorn square pegs into round holes and a GM-HC relationship that is in synch nd produces a conveyor belt of talent ....young home grown talent with   Shrewd use of free agency.

i hadn’t heard about Pederson taking a year off, he had to be a strong candidate as experienced (and experienced at winning) HC’s still in their prime are rare as hen’s teeth. 

i like a lot of what I see in Saleh but I won’t pretend to know that he’s definitively the right guy for us

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, John D said:

I just signed up to respond to this.

1- I have 0 aliases.  I have not posted here since I got banned.

2 - I still have 0 clue why I was banned.

3- Can I be unbanned?  Im not posting unless its under Joe W. Namath.  I still read the site all the time but have to go into private browsing to do so.  

Lets let bygones be bygones and fire Joe W up again.  My guy is about to be our HC.  Lets go!

Really? Dam, my bad. If we Hire Saleh I will immediately unban you. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Umm...there was this thing called the Legion of Boom as well.  That had something to do with their success, no?

The Legion of Boom was together in 2011, Wilson was drafted after that season, they finished top 10 in scoring defense and yards allowed.  They finished 7-9.

2012 they finish 11-5. It's not a coincidence

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

When Mangini first got here, there was a preseason game and he was all fired up. I remember him yelling at Schotty and I liked it. Not a huge fan of screaming, I think the Parcells style would come off as belittling players today. But hot damn can we at least have a pulse on the sidelines?

Somewhere in between Rex wanting to fist fight the other team and Bowles\Gase looking asleep there is a happy medium.

Energy, Saleh definitely brings that.

Mangini remains a curiosity, so much of what he brought was exactly what we needed and even the biggest Rex fan should acknowledge that Mangini put in place much of what Rex ultimately made hay with.

i’m 100% with you on the energy thing, as I just explained in another post, I just want someone who looks engaged and cares but I also don’t want a circus act....it has to be passion with integrity, discipline and intelligence.

Parcells would be bullying in today’s world , it worked then but I think now that approach needs to be way more nuanced. Rex was glorious entertainment and dammit we were relevant but ultimately he didn’t have that crucial ability to be a team-builder and focus on culture that can sustain success. We are still searching for that perfect combination

52 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I'm usually sensitive to these things too but I believe what he's referring to is that in a cigar store they have native American statues so he's saying Bowles was a statue on the sidelines. That's how I'm seeing this anyway. 

I understand the metaphor.

We can criticize Bowles for being statuesque without drawing upon a bigoted metaphor. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Legion of Boom was together in 2011, Wilson was drafted after that season, they finished top 10 in scoring defense and yards allowed.  They finished 7-9.

2012 they finish 11-5. It's not a coincidence

I don't see it the same way.

Take 2012 for example.  Yes they were 11-5.

They led the league in fewest points allowed.

And on offense, it was Lynch that carried the team that year.

Wilson had a nice season.  26 TD 10 INTs, 3,118 yards passing.  64.1% comp %.  All nice numbers but nowhere near guys like Rodgers and Manning yet.

Lynch on the other hand had 1,590 yards rushing and 11 TDs which was eclipsed by AP's 2k yard season but otherwise was a monster year.

Russ put up similar numbers in 2013 and 2014, and had a very nice QBR all three seasons, but so did Lynch and the defense.  It was really a combination of all three of those factors that made them so good then.

Last point. In 2013, the Super Bowl year, Wilson had 3 passing TDs in the playoffs.  Lynch had 4 rushing TDs.  

I'm not arguing against Wilson having been one of the top three QBs of the last decade, but until recently, SEA's success was about more than just Russ.  I'd argue that he really ascended to becoming a top QB in 2015.  And now that it is only Russ, he can't carry them anymore.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

My Choice of words may be somewhat unpopular. Of all the bitching that goes on here oh, do you think maybe somebody could look this guy up on Wikipedia and look at his credentials? LOL

I mean seriously I'm reading this forum and people are talking about him being an arab and that he looks like Vin Diesel? If you go to wikipedia.com and put his name in there's a section that says coaching and it lists all of his experience.

You can also do the same with Adam Gase or Brian Daboll even.The reason I mentioned those two guys names as they are way more experienced.

I've also looked up interviews with Saleh and he's not really energetic in fact he's very passive except during the game on the sidelines. The players do have really good things to say about him and he speaks of reciprocating the respect back to the players.

I'm not saying I don't like the guy or wouldn't give him a shot but his only experience noteworthy thus far is with Seattle in 2013 and Frisco in 2017.

Not trying to be smug or snarky or a dickwad but I think we should worry a little bit more about his experience as a football coach than whether or not he has a bald head. Lol

I will say I looked up an interview on YouTube and I was very impressed by what he had to say and how he presented himself. I think it's very different than some of you guys are thinking

He is anything but a fiery Rex as so  many might think.

I think this pressers shows his stage personality.  Definitely not Rex. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zd4FnCK9NU&ab_channel=SanFrancisco49ers