Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

i do not want Saleh , in fact i dont want any DC 

the reason is that in the current Jets situation  the most glaring need is a coach who can either save Darnold or build with a young QB, that means teaching and working together for a few years , no change in OC's , no new systems.

Jets can hire a DC and maybe he is smart enough to hire the right OC who will do all that but if that OC does so well after a year or two a team will hire to be HC , and there is nothing Jets can do about it.

so then back to square one with new OC , new system , new players to fit the system

no thanks

sjm-saleh.jpg?w=640&key=525a3ddbf947a77fde2d950cccb7e334800ed194ac0371ffa7d30d598f8a3b96
If you like the rah-rah emotional sideline prancer, the Pete Carroll 1994 type, he's your man.
Updated List:
Pederson:  Yes
Daboll:  Yes
Brady:  Yes
Saleh:  Yes
Glenn:  Yes
---------
Bienemy:  NO
Lewis:  NO
Mullen:  NO
Martindale:  NO
---------
Graham:  Declined
Harbaugh:  Declined
Campbell:  Declined
SAR I

GFYC

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

the reason is that in the current Jets situation  the most glaring need is a coach who can either save Darnold or build with a young QB, that means teaching and working together for a few years , no change in OC's , no new systems.

Jets can hire a DC and maybe he is smart enough to hire the right OC who will do all that but if that OC does so well after a year or two a team will hire to be HC , and there is nothing Jets can do about it.

so then back to square one with new OC , new system , new players to fit the system

no thanks

We should bring in a offensive guru like Adam Gays. If Saleh is a good head coach, he will surround himself with quality coaches. There isn't such a thing as a good head coach with a bad staff, unless the staff came with the job. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm a normal Jets fan.  Just was wrong about Gase, that's all, it happens.

SAR I

I'm sorry, but those two items are mutually exclusive.  Wrong about something at the beginning is one thing, riding it until the very end is by no measure "normal Jets fan".  There are only 2 categories of "normal" for Jets fans:  constant pessimists, and early optimists who transform to the even more pessimistic.

Always remember, by rule you're not allowed to be a supporter of a proven Jets failure until many years later when you've decided there's someone else you hate more and want to blame for their failings (e.g., if/when we grow to hate Douglas, he may suddenly become single-handedly responsible for all of this).

I mean, I guess you could also just choose to be wrong about everything all of the time, but pretty sure you first need approval from @Pac to join his club.

• Haha 1

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We should bring in a offensive guru like Adam Gays. If Saleh is a good head coach, he will surround himself with quality coaches. There isn't such a thing as a good head coach with a bad staff, unless the staff came with the job. 

you didnt read what i said , maybe Saleh will bring in good staff who will be great and that OC lets say will save Darnold or make Fields a great QB

you know what will happen ? other teams will hire that OC to be a head coach 

thats why the head coach need to be the offensive guy who cant be hired by a different team, and just because Gase was awful doesnt mean you cant find the right coach

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I don't see it the same way.

Take 2012 for example.  Yes they were 11-5.

They led the league in fewest points allowed.

And on offense, it was Lynch that carried the team that year.

Wilson had a nice season.  26 TD 10 INTs, 3,118 yards passing.  64.1% comp %.  All nice numbers but nowhere near guys like Rodgers and Manning yet.

Lynch on the other hand had 1,590 yards rushing and 11 TDs which was eclipsed by AP's 2k yard season but otherwise was a monster year.

Russ put up similar numbers in 2013 and 2014, and had a very nice QBR all three seasons, but so did Lynch and the defense.  It was really a combination of all three of those factors that made them so good then.

Last point. In 2013, the Super Bowl year, Wilson had 3 passing TDs in the playoffs.  Lynch had 4 rushing TDs.  

I'm not arguing against Wilson having been one of the top three QBs of the last decade, but until recently, SEA's success was about more than just Russ.  I'd argue that he really ascended to becoming a top QB in 2015.  And now that it is only Russ, he can't carry them anymore.

That would be a good argument if it weren't for the fact that post Lynch, post Legion of Boom the Seahawks are still winning with Wilson. 

Wilson was 62-29-1 post Lynch.

The last year the Legion of Boom was together was 2017. Wilson is 33-15 after that group disbanded. 

• Upvote 1

I know nothing about this guy other than watching him on the sidelines and congratulating his defense as they come off the field.  Now that most of the fan base has gotten themselves worked up into a frenzy on the possibility of getting this guy, it would be typical Jets to blow this.  If you've been a fan of this team for decades like myself, you've seen this movie before.  If this truly is the guy JD wants, hopefully our luck has changed and we land this guy.

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

So you don't want Saleh or any DC, but you want Saleh and a good OC. Do I have that correct?

9 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

you didnt read what i said , maybe Saleh will bring in good staff who will be great and that OC lets say will save Darnold or make Fields a great QB

you know what will happen ? other teams will hire that OC to be a head coach 

thats why the head coach need to be the offensive guy who cant be hired by a different team, and just because Gase was awful doesnt mean you cant find the right coach

3 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

The Jets have not tweeted anything, the past interviews they tweeted when the interview was completed. He is probably still there and they are breaking down the details over dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Agreed, I’ve been waiting on the tweet about completing his 2nd interview. If he’s still there I’m assuming they’re working out contract 

14 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

So you don't want Saleh or any DC, but you want Saleh and a good OC. Do I have that correct?

no

dont want any DC because if the OC they hire is good he would just be hired by a different team to be head coach 

you cant have a young QB start looking good for a year or two and showing progress and then change his OC and system because your current was hired to be head coach somewhere else.

the head coach the has to be the offense guy 

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

I don't see it the same way.

Take 2012 for example.  Yes they were 11-5.

They led the league in fewest points allowed.

And on offense, it was Lynch that carried the team that year.

Wilson had a nice season.  26 TD 10 INTs, 3,118 yards passing.  64.1% comp %.  All nice numbers but nowhere near guys like Rodgers and Manning yet.

Lynch on the other hand had 1,590 yards rushing and 11 TDs which was eclipsed by AP's 2k yard season but otherwise was a monster year.

Russ put up similar numbers in 2013 and 2014, and had a very nice QBR all three seasons, but so did Lynch and the defense.  It was really a combination of all three of those factors that made them so good then.

Last point. In 2013, the Super Bowl year, Wilson had 3 passing TDs in the playoffs.  Lynch had 4 rushing TDs.  

I'm not arguing against Wilson having been one of the top three QBs of the last decade, but until recently, SEA's success was about more than just Russ.  I'd argue that he really ascended to becoming a top QB in 2015.  And now that it is only Russ, he can't carry them anymore.

Also, I think you're missing the point. My point was the Wilson made Pete Carroll. Before him he was a failed nfl coach. That was the point. Like BB before Brady and after him now

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Unless the Jets are planning on doing a face to face with Robert's competition tomorrow (Staley), then you'll hire later tonight that he's named HC

That's what i would expect. We're moving on from Martindale.. which is too bad because it means we'll miss the greatest implosion in JN history 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2