Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s because the “other guy in the room” was Maccagnan.  So CJ did know more than the other guy.  

Don’t fear being wrong. You took a swing based on legitimate info; and apparently it’s what is being heard around the league. Kudos to you, regardless of what happens. 

According to Ian Rapoport and Peter Schrager, Saleh arrived last night and met with some of the people from the Jets organization and is now meeting with Christopher Johnson this morning.  He wil

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

And to think I opened this thread to get some sort of intelligent conversation... Silly me...

Then why are you even on JetNation?

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Sounds good but I am going to social distance until I get my vaccine lol.

People were social distancing from joe waaaaaaaay before the pandemic.

• Haha 1

For those Darnold lovers out there I would think the one type of offense he would thrive in is the SF offense. 

I would think Saleh is the best shot Sam has of sticking around here. This hiring at initial glance screams : Lets rebuild Sam. 

I would also think Fields has no shot at 2. Thats a coaching tree of building up QB's - not drafting them high if he brings Lafluer. 

Douglas is going to absolute rape a team for the 2. 

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

For those Darnold lovers out there I would think the one type of offense he would thrive in is the SF offense. 

I would think Saleh is the best shot Sam has of sticking around here. This hiring at initial glance screams : Lets rebuild Sam. 

I would also think Fields has no shot at 2. Thats a coaching tree of building up QB's - not drafting them high if he brings Lafluer. 

Initially yes I agree with this but you have to factor in Sams contract (basically a one year rebuild) not exactly ideal situation for a new coach with a QB that has regressed to Sams level. 

another thing factor is I noticed a lot of the 49ers beat/ media pushing for a trade up for Wilson or Fields: 

I think when the combine rolls around and the jets get to interview these kids things will change and eventually it will be too hard passing on one of these kids and risking Sam one more year. 

That would be a horrible scar on Joe Douglas if one of those first round QBs become studs and they pass on one. Sam would have to be better than average for them to justify keeping him on such short rope, especially when a replacement was available in a young cheap rookie. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

If QB is off the table for the Jets at #2 then you’re absolutely right.  JD will be able to cultivate a bidding war for that pick between some teams that want a QB (Atlanta, Detroit, maybe Carolina or Dallas, etc.) and others who want an elite OT (Miami, Cincy).

The Jets have so many needs that dropping to anywhere between 5 and 12 would still land them a great prospect at an impact position (WR, CB, OT, Edge).

• Upvote 1

I think Joe D. and Christopher Johnson took the players advice to heart and are prioritizing culture change above all else with this search.

Saleh seems like the best culture change guy.  He presents himself very well, will connect with both sides of the ball, and will demand accountability in this organization.  He also seems very pragmatic.

Figuring out the QB conundrum will be tricky,  I don't know if Sam can be repaired but the Shanahan system would make sense, as would Mike Kafka.

• Upvote 3
25 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

I think Joe D. and Christopher Johnson took the players advice to heart and are prioritizing culture change above all else with this search.

Saleh seems like the best culture change guy.  He presents himself very well, will connect with both sides of the ball, and will demand accountability in this organization.  He also seems very pragmatic.

Figuring out the QB conundrum will be tricky,  I don't know if Sam can be repaired but the Shanahan system would make sense, as would Mike Kafka.

49ers fans want jimmy g gone, seems like the organization wants him gone too but he’s lightyears ahead of Sam. So when you look at it that way it could be the exact opposite, they want to restart with their own guy 🤷‍♂️

ive been hearing all year about how Kyle Shanahan never had “his guy” from 49ers media and fans. 

Possible FA addition if Saleh gets the job:

QB CJ Beathard- Started 2 games, played in 6 in 2020. 

63.5% Comp

6 TD's

0 Int

787 Yards

3 years experience in that system. 

I could see Darnold traded and another vet brought in to compete with Beathard if they don't draft one at #2.

I still think Arthur Smith is my preferred choice, and not because he's an "offensive coach." All of these candidates are qualified to coach the team, I just try to imagine how they're going to fare dealing with the demands of coaching in the NY market. That's a much a part of the job as anything else. Smith seems like the type who wouldn't give a **** about half of the dooshbags that cover this team. The high energy rah-rah stuff is great until you're in the middle of a 4 game losing streak and are getting grilled by beat writers daily. Does Saleh have thick enough skin to deal with it?

I just see this guy fitting into this market very well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I just binged three episodes of Mad Men, how much longer is this going to take?

SAR I

I started watching Mad Men. Seems a little boring. Does it get any better? I'm in the middle of episode 2.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Welcome to the board!

For what it’s worth, I was told hours ago when I initially got the information I passed along here that an answer was more likely to come from Saleh tomorrow so this does line up.  I’m still trying to figure out the details but, yes, an offer has been formally made.  Heard the initial deal is 3-4 years (probably 4 to line up with JD’s contract. I will say that I don’t know if Saleh’s camp will want more).  Money unknown.  The team, obviously, wanted an answer from Saleh tonight but the expectation was always that tomorrow was more likely.  Not really unusual.  Probably wants to talk to his wife, family, etc.

Hoping we wake up to news that he’s accepted the deal.  Hopefully he wants us as much as we want him.

There are no head coach contracts for 3 years Mogglez. The absolute minimum is 4 years for rookie head coaches. Being an "insider" and all I would have thought you new that.

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Question:

Why are people assuming that Saleh would be bringing the SF offensive system with him from SF? Did Rex bring the Ravens offense with him when he came to the Jets? 

I think this is an extremely tenuous assumption - as is the assumption that the hire gives us any obvious hint as to what the Jets will do at QB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

His rumored preferred choices of OCs are 1 of 2 guys from the SF coaching staff.

Gotta see who he actually brings in and what his offensive philosophy is. 

And even so, you don't know what Saleh thinks of Darnold. No one does. Maybe he thinks Kyle Shanahan is nuts? Who knows. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Just woke up and read through the last 10 pages or so...what on earth did you maniacs do to this thread?

All this talk of deals nearly being done, of new OC options, of steak, of things being moist has me...Saleh-vating.

It's funny I do the same thing. I wake up cuz I can't sleep in the middle of the night and I check to the latest news and you never have any idea what you're going to get. Just head straight to the latest post in the thread.

Hell we could be talking about toaster ovens, Pink Floyd, dogs, or pizza places in Queens. Some of these threads can turn into anything but Jets LOL

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Dont think that proved out.  It was one game where SF had injuries and some of their players questioned the new turf.  NFL came in and it checked out fine

The green doesn’t match the helmets. 

3 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I started watching Mad Men. Seems a little boring. Does it get any better? I'm in the middle of episode 2.

Good lord, yes.  Watch the whole first season before drawing a conclusion. It’s one of the top series of all time. 

SAR I