Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

6 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

You know that May is the deadline for Darnold's fifth year rookie contract (2022) option.

Trade or no trade, no NFL franchise on planet earth, including the Jets is picking up Darnold's fifth year option.  

IMO, this is a major, major issue.

I just can't see why the Jets would pass on 2 highly rated QB's with rookie contracts, to keep Darnold in the blind hope that he might improve.  Just can't see it.

i don't think Darnold is as bad as he played this year, and will improve some.   Just think the risk reward for Douglas' future isn't worth it. IMO it will be a hard sell to any HC candidate who has options.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I just can't see why the Jets would pass on 2 highly rated QB's with rookie contracts, to keep Darnold in the blind hope that he might improve.  Just can't see it.

i don't think Darnold is as bad as he played this year, and will improve some.   Just think the risk reward for Douglas' future isn't worth it. IMO it will be a hard sell to any HC candidate who has options.

there's too many obvious reasons not to keep darnold, including cap ramifications.  i think we'll just have to be very patient here.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there's too many obvious reasons not to keep darnold, including cap ramifications.  i think we'll just have to be very patient here.

Your 100% correct. But.............................

As a fan, with 0 inside info, I'm really nervous.  lol  With the new incoming HC, 2 POTENTIAL franchise QB's at #2, and Darnold being off a horrible year, it's pretty clear that what happens in the next 4 months is going to control the Jets' future for 5 year's or more.

I should probably do myself a favor, and just go fishing.  :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Darnold, if he stays ( a big IF), I imagine will have serious competition in 2021...either a rookie or a veteran.

The Jets probably will not pass on the two top qbs after Lawrence in the draft but if they do it's because the Joe Douglas's current roster is absolutely abysmal, and it needs a massive injection of talent.

• Upvote 2

Yup that may deadline is stupid, defeats the point of the 5th year option. Are we sure it’s correct? It makes no sense 

ok here it is, the option is only guaranteed for injury 

“Fifth-year options must be picked up prior to May 3 of the player’s fourth season and are not fully guaranteed until the start of the next year’s league year.

Fifth year is guaranteed for injury only. Ryan Shazier’s fifth year falls into this category.”

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Since we played SF this year Saleh had to breakdown Darnold and
our offense.  If Saleh brings a unique perspective on Darnold as a
player and how to improve him he could stand out as a candidate 

One of the requirements of any head coaching interview is to completely break down the team and offer their plan. You can learn a lot from multiple interviews even with people you have no intention of hiring.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BloodGreen said:

Purely a gut feeling thing, but I like Glenn and have reservations about Saleh. No reasons behind it, beyond a feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Maybe it’s because Victor Green is your profile picture? 

And you’re nostalgic like me?

I’m also very intrigued by Glenn for no other reason than..its aaron glenn! Come on! Dude was the man !

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Why?  The lions are arguably just as horribly run as the Jets and in Detroit

he's from the state of michigan.  grew up in michigan.  went to college in michigan (northern michigan).  and started his coaching career in michigan (mich state and central michigan).

doesn't mean he will wind up taking the lions job.  but his roots are why many think he will

41 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

do you know what times the interview started and stopped and how it compares to other 1st round interviews that are being conducted in 2021 via zoom?

Well since SF is 3 hrs behind I would guess the interview did not start before 10 eastern, 7 SF time.   It was done before 1:30 eastern 

To me, that’s not a long time for an interview for a regular job, never mind a NFL head coach 

• WTF? 1