Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

Just now, Dcat said:

happy to oblige.  Not exactly @Mogglez with inside info: just observations from a few 20 somethings interning with the Jets 5+ years ago at that.  Did not like Woody. One bit.  Said people feared him in the building but everyone else, players and coaches and staff were great.  Some good notes on Wilkerson and a few others from that era also from them. 

yea Ive been alive long enough to know that if what you say is true, and I believe you, then woody is an ass

4 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

Taught Randy Bachman, right?  

Yeah.  The opening of She's Come Undone is literally Lenny teaching Randy Bachman open harmonics.  Lenny got him to buy a standard book of jazz chords and it really opened his playing.  Though I think you see Lenny's teaching more in Andy Summers.  The open harmonic approach really opened his playing.  Because he rarely played solos and did a lot of extensive chord work.  And then you add that lush Ibanez chorus sound he had and those open harmonics just flow over it like a clean strain of water.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So here is a hypothetical for you all.  You are the leader of a coaching search and you and your bosses have laid out the parameters before hand of how you are going to handle it that being you are going to cast a wide net and do video interviews with a 6 or 8 people.  You are then going to narrow it down to 3 finalists and have in person meetings with them and then make a final decision.  You and the search group are going to be disciplined in this approach.  You know before hand that your candidates are sought by others.

All of a sudden you get leaks that a number of other teams are very  interested in one of your top 3 guys.  If he goes for a 2nd interview you really risk losing him.

Do you stay disciplined, make sure you have in face meeting with your other two finalists or do you toss all of that out after meeting the 1st finalist and hire him in fear of losing him?

Hypothetically speaking of course.

Even though this is pretty much the situation that got us Todd Bowles, I still believe you go get your guy.

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The guy who tweeted that withdrew it later and said he was wrong.  

He did, but Alex Marvez later said that Kafka was a possibility separate from that original tweet. Now maybe he was just taking that info from the original tweet and putting it in his, but usually Marvez info is his own.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Depends upon how well Bill Belichick drafts in New England the next few years.

SAR I

His drafting has been mediocre to bad most of the time.  (Jets still worse, however.)  He just got very very lucky with a 6th rounder plus a Mo Lewis tackle to reveal the hidden treasure.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'd take Jones as a project. But #1 we already have one of those and #2 he won't last until the rounds where you draft projects.

Well. Exactly. He's not somebody we're drafting to be the Jet's FQB. We have Morgan. What's the point.

• Upvote 1

No, he did not.
The Cardinals went 5-10-1 against the NFL's 3rd toughest schedule that year.  In the process, Kyler Murray took home Offensive ROY honors.
The Jets, meanwhile, went 7-9 against the NFL's 28th toughest schedule.  In the process the QB's they faced that season included Dwayne Haskins, rookie season Daniel Jones (among the most turnover-prone QB seasons of all-time), Mason Rudolph, Devlin Hodges and Matt Barkley.  

Gase was coaching the Dolphins his first year.

And he is there to win games. Not pad stats

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Gase was coaching the Dolphins his first year.

And he is there to win games. Not pad stats

How is that rookie year in Miami relevant, exactly?  How has he done the last 5?  Gase and Kingsbury were hired at their most recent stops the same year.   That's all that really matters for this discussion. 

He is winning games.  They won 3 the year before he arrived, 5 his first season, and 8 this past season.  Looks like an upward trend to me.  Get that defense some talent and they're looking good, even in a tough division.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

And to think I traveled to see a therapist 2 times a week when all I needed to do was log into JetNation hahaha.

Seriously man.  Thank you so much.

because every competent therapist says "joking, kind of, not really, ha" after calling you a narcissist.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

because every competent therapist says "joking, kind of, not really, ha" after calling you a narcissist.

@TeddEY is a licensed therapist and a very good one.  Any therapist worth his salt has a good sense of humor.  It's not all seriousness all the time.  

Plus he wasn't getting paid for a session at the moment.  So you get what you pay for.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, rayzor said:

anyone else curious why he didn't get a second interview with the other 4 teams he interviewed with?  i suppose every team has it's own ideals for what they're looking for in their head coach.

I think the assumption is that he will and the Jets are trying to hire him now before he can be lured away.

From what I've heard Detroit is still interested and he's basically the Jaguars first choice if they can't land Urban Meyer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

aloof, cold, abrupt have been the words from the three students (all 3 female if that matters).  I asked how often he was around, and they said always there as in the guy didn't seem to do much else.

That leads me to think bored trust fund baby with nothing to do, no friends, no life.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think the assumption is that he will and the Jets are trying to hire him now before he can be lured away.

From what I've heard Detroit is still interested and he's basically the Jaguars first choice if they can't land Urban Meyer.

I read the Detroit fans have him as their top choice because he's a Dearborn native.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@TeddEY is a licensed therapist and a very good one.  Any therapist worth his salt has a good sense of humor.  It's not all seriousness all the time.  

Plus he wasn't getting paid for a session at the moment.  So you get what you pay for.

Agree 100%.

Credentials: I've watched "Analyze This" maybe 15 times.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Question:

Why are people assuming that Saleh would be bringing the SF offensive system with him from SF? Did Rex bring the Ravens offense with him when he came to the Jets? 

I think this is an extremely tenuous assumption - as is the assumption that the hire gives us any obvious hint as to what the Jets will do at QB. 

I think it is actually a very safe assumption, since it sounds like IF he is hired, he would bring one of the guys from San Francisco to be the Jets OC. 

2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

If we are locked into the $$$ of Sam's fifth year option.  I'm not so sure I'd want Saleh to help him.

And why the f**k would we lock in Darnold's 5th year option?  $25M, and injury guaranteed nonetheless to a guy who has missed at least 3 games every season to date?

If that happens we're screwed regardless of who the QB is.  That would mean our GM is inept and the franchise will continue to be f**ked until the Johnson's die or sell the team.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Heard on a podcast that Lafleur was the best man at Saleh's wedding. They're close. Almost a forgone conclusion he'll be the OC if Saleh is hired

Yup.  Matt LaFleur, the Green Bay Packers head coach, was Saleh's best man.  Matt is Mike's brother and Saleh is close with the entire family.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

1. I haven't had a toaster oven in decades.  They still make them?
2. I just bought a new subwoofer and I've been enjoying a lot of old Pink Floyd on it, and not just Dark Side of the Moon. .  Damned thing is phenomenal (Bowers & Wilkins DBS4).
3. I love dogs.
4. In my teens and 20's we used to pop in to Gloria's Pizza off Roosevelt Ave near the LIRR station.  Then I moved away and eventually they closed.  Well they re-opened in Forest Hills right next to the Midway theater.  Two of my old buddies have tried it and said they are back baby after so many years.

Jesus....when did Jets Nation turn into a dating app?

• Haha 2