Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I think it is actually a very safe assumption, since it sounds like IF he is hired, he would bring one of the guys from San Francisco to be the Jets OC. 

If he brings in a SF offensive coach I agree about the offensive system, but I still think it has little bearing on Darnold. I think people are jumping the gun there. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree 100%.

Credentials: I've watched "Analyze This" maybe 15 times.

Full disclosure:  I've seen 2 different counselors (not at the same time, the first retired - not because of me!  He was getting older!  lol)  over the last 4+ years on a weekly basis.  They both have a terrific sense of humor.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And why the f**k would we lock in Darnold's 5th year option?  $25M, and injury guaranteed nonetheless to a guy who has missed at least 3 games every season to date?

If that happens we're screwed regardless of who the QB is.  That would mean our GM is inept and the franchise will continue to be f**ked until the Johnson's die or sell the team.

It's almost impossible that Douglas is that dumb. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And why the f**k would we lock in Darnold's 5th year option?  $25M, and injury guaranteed nonetheless to a guy who has missed at least 3 games every season to date?

If that happens we're screwed regardless of who the QB is.  That would mean our GM is inept and the franchise will continue to be f**ked until the Johnson's die or sell the team.

Even one of those anonymous/hypothetical GMs out there who is said to be "in love" with Sam Darnold isn't triggering the option. Whether it's with the Jets or elsewhere, he's in prove-it mode next year.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The best decision for Darnold's trade value would be trading him as early as possible in the offseason.  Waiting until the season starts, when teams get to see just how sh*tty he still is in Year 4, would not be prudent.  Plus he's due to hit free agency after 2021, which would make him just a rental for a few games.  Not ideal for a guy who everyone recognizes to still be a project QB.  

Besides, 2021 picks are more valuable than 2022 picks.

Exactly. The only debate is before or immediately after the draft. I lean toward after. Potentially fewer interested suitors but the ones that remain may be more interested/desperate.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@TeddEY is a licensed therapist and a very good one.  Any therapist worth his salt has a good sense of humor.  It's not all seriousness all the time.  

Plus he wasn't getting paid for a session at the moment.  So you get what you pay for.

it was a joke man. lighten.up.francis.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

Stop acting like an ass about a legitimate question.  It's been reported that while the Jets view Lawrence as an upgrade over Sam.  That they aren't necessarily sold on the other options available it the draft.  It will all come down how JD and potentially Saleh view our future (with or without Same.  Don't get histonic about me having the guts to ask a question on this board.  Alright.  If your having a bad day take it out on someone else.

He's not reacting to anything you're saying here. He's reacting to the insinuation that the Jets would pick up his $25M, 5th year option between now and early May (the deadline).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Stop acting like an ass about a legitimate question.  It's been reported that while the Jets view Lawrence as an upgrade over Sam.  That they aren't necessarily sold on the other options available it the draft.  It will all come down how JD and potentially Saleh view our future (with or without Same.  Don't get histonic about me having the guts to ask a question on this board.  Alright.  If your having a bad day take it out on someone else.

I mean, if you're going to propose a hypothetical in which the GM is going to do something this monumentally stupid, and then think the biggest problem with the Jets will be the HC hire, then I'm not sure what you wanted me to do with that information.  Who we hire at HC would be an afterthought in that instance.

It'd be like setting your house on fire and your chief concern being where you're going to buy new plates.

Just now, jgb said:

He's not reacting to anything you're saying here. He's reacting to the insinuation that the Jets would pick up his $25M, 5th year option between now and early May (the deadline).

"Hey.  I don't think that's a good idea.  I don't think it's prudent to do that.  Not very smart of us." 

I like the tone of that a lot better. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, if you're going to propose a hypothetical in which the GM is going to do something this monumentally stupid, and then think the biggest problem with the Jets will be the HC hire, then I'm not sure what you wanted me to do with that information.  Who we hire at HC would be an afterthought in that instance.

Sam's the guy for this year...its becoming more and more clear. And he should be. I have high hopes that Saleh can bring in the right coordinator to work with Darnold and his upgraded supporting cast.

Don't pick up the 5th year option. If Sam struggles, cut bait, if he doesn't franchise or sign to a long term deal.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

"Hey.  I don't think that's a good idea.  I don't think it's prudent to do that.  Not very smart of us." 

I like the tone of that a lot better. 

I read his post as really reacting to the stupidity of a GM who would do such a thing. Not to you. But what do I know.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It'd be like intentionally setting your house on fire and then worrying about where you're going to buy new plates.

It's a legitimate question.  If they trade him.  They trade him.  We'll find out in the coming months what they do.  But we don't know how where they stand regarding Sam.  They could easily decide they don't like the upcoming class and stand pat.  We don't know how MUCH Douglas loves Sam.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I read his post as really reacting to the stupidity of a GM who would do such a thing. Not to you. But what do I know.

Well it's understandable because this is the Jets.  But if I had asked "why don't hire Shottenheimer?" I would have expected that response.  Not a question about keeping Sam.  Because that's a very big topic over the next four months.  And there are a lot of variables.

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Question:

Why are people assuming that Saleh would be bringing the SF offensive system with him from SF? Did Rex bring the Ravens offense with him when he came to the Jets? 

I think this is an extremely tenuous assumption - as is the assumption that the hire gives us any obvious hint as to what the Jets will do at QB. 

Rex did bring the ground and pound from the Ravens.

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Sam's the guy for this year...its becoming more and more clear. And he should be. I have high hopes that Saleh can bring in the right coordinator to work with Darnold and his upgraded supporting cast.

Don't pick up the 5th year option. If Sam struggles, cut bait, if he doesn't franchise or sign to a long term deal.

Not set in stone yet. If Saleh is the guy and he brings the Shanny offense with him, don't be surprised if Zach Wilson is the pick. He's perfect for that offense.

18 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

It's a legitimate question.  If they trade him.  They trade him.  We'll find out in the coming months what they do.  But we don't know how where they stand regarding Sam.  They could easily decide they don't like the upcoming class and stand pat.  We don't know how MUCH Douglas loves Sam.

I absolutely wouldn't support it, but of course they could bring back Darnold next year.  But the 5th year option?  Worth over $25M and injury guaranteed?  Less than a 1 % chance this happens.  And if it did, that alone would be a fireable offense for Douglas.  You'd essentially be guaranteeing Darnold to be the unquestioned starter for the next 2 seasons.  That would be horrific.

Bringing back Darnold for a 4th year is a separate issue from giving him the 5th year option.  Those are 2 different items that I think you're conflating a bit here.  

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

The 5th year option would be insanity. 

If they bring Sam back, they are doing so on his cheap 4th year and giving him a final chance to do something. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Well it's understandable because this is the Jets.  But if I had asked "why don't hire Shottenheimer?" I would have expected that response.  Not a question about keeping Sam.  Because that's a very big topic over the next four months.  And there are a lot of variables.

It would make more sense to hire Schotty than pick up Sam's 5th year option lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I absolutely wouldn't support it, but of course they could bring back Darnold next year.  But the 5th year option?  Worth over $25M and injury guaranteed?  Less than a 1 % chance this happens.  And if it did, that alone would be a fireable offense for Douglas.  You'd essentially be guaranteeing Darnold to be the starter for the next 2 seasons.  That would be horrific.

Bringing back Darnold for a 4th year is a separate issue from giving him the 5th year option.  Those are 2 different items that I think you're conflating a bit here.  

I will say one thing. Those rookie contracts for the top 5 picks are capped but those fifth year pay scales lock you in. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Full disclosure:  I've seen 2 different counselors (not at the same time, the first retired - not because of me!  He was getting older!  lol)  over the last 4+ years on a weekly basis.  They both have a terrific sense of humor.  

damn man, being a jets fan has been hard for you huh?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@TeddEY is a licensed therapist and a very good one.  Any therapist worth his salt has a good sense of humor.  It's not all seriousness all the time.  

Plus he wasn't getting paid for a session at the moment.  So you get what you pay for.

Edited. @Dcat  was kidding apparently. The whoosh you here is the joke going over my head as well as others apparently lol. My b dude haha. 

• Upvote 2

How is that rookie year in Miami relevant, exactly?  How has he done the last 5?  Gase and Kingsbury were hired at their most recent stops the same year.   That's all that really matters for this discussion. 
He is winning games.  They won 3 the year before he arrived, 5 his first season, and 8 this past season.  Looks like an upward trend to me.  Get that defense some talent and they're looking good, even in a tough division.

Looks like a losing record to me

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, TheMo said:

2nd this not that @TeddEYneeds me to defend him. I call medications “IV tequila” and stuff to get my patients relaxed and laughing. This idea that professional doctors have literally no life and are going “here is your intravenous midazolam, and medium intensity benzodiazepine with amnestic properties” is fantasy.

It may not be true that laughter is the best medicine, but it absolutely IS medicine for many.  At the very least, it's the most healthy coping mechanism in our arsenal as humans.