Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

damn man, being a jets fan has been hard for you huh?

Lol like at the old Vet the Phillies/Eagles had an in-stadium judge* to deal with the rampant drunken hooliganism, MetLife should announce an in-house shrink.

*side note, the long-time "Eagles Judge" as he was called eventually rode his fame all the way to become a Justice on the PA Supreme Court!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5  No F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 

Haven't done this much F5ing (oh, sound dirty) since Le'Veon Bell signed.  And in hindsight, that 250 bucks I spent on keys for my keyboard probably wasn't worth the damage it caused.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Exactly. The only debate is before or immediately after the draft. I lean toward after. Potentially fewer interested suitors but the ones that remain may be more interested/desperate.

I'd say before because a lot of teams will have their stuff figured out by the end of the draft. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'd say before because a lot of teams will have their stuff figured out by the end of the draft. 

Can definitely see this both ways. I think before draft you get more interested teams but at reclamation prices. After, maybe a team gets stunned in the draft and misses out on a QB they were targeting and then needs to do something.

I suppose a skilled negotiator could test the waters before the draft, and withdraw if he doesn't like what he sees. Might hurt bargaining position later but it's an option.

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

I don't blame CJ for taking a few hours.  The last time he made a decision like this he spent the next two years sweating bullets outside press conferences convincing himself to put confidence in Adam Gase. 

One bonus is I bet he's relatively quiet during the intro press conference this time!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Stark said:

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Reality GIF

lol... man is the Jets clutch game weak af.... it's 10am here, meaning it;'s like 5pm on the east coast... and still no fcking news? What the hell Johnsons. Just throw a stack of cash at him and tell him to sign the fkcing papers. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

? That was his offensive philosophy. It had nothing to do with the Ravens. He kept Schotty as the OC . . . 

Right.  Rex kept Scotty, or was forced to keep Scotty, and told Scotty to run the ball.   Can't say how much Rex coming from the running Ravens influenced it.

To get back on point.... We don't know if a defensive coach will bring his prior team's offensive philosophy with him as you accurately pointed out earlier, and we don't know Seleh's offensive philosophy as of yet. 

We don't even know, with this effing team, if he will even be allowed to hire his own OC.

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lol... man is the Jets clutch game weak af.... it's 10am here, meaning it;'s like 5pm on the east coast... and still no fcking news? What the hell Johnsons. Just throw a stack of cash at him and tell him to sign the fkcing papers. 

Was Geno Smith your math tutor?

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Can definitely see this both ways. I think before draft you get more interested teams but at reclamation prices. After, maybe a team gets stunned in the draft and misses out on a QB they were targeting and then needs to do something.

I suppose a skilled negotiator could test the waters before the draft, and withdraw if he doesn't like what he sees. Might hurt bargaining position later but it's an option.

Possibly. 

I'm personally not that obsessed with how much we get back for Sam. I think if we can get a 3rd round pick or better, we should do it immediately. Of course this is all under the assumption that we take a QB at 2 - A lot of people really think the Jets are going to hang onto Darnold. If we pass on a QB at 2, I could see us hanging on to him even if we did take a QB later in the draft. 

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

One bonus is I bet he's relatively quiet during the intro press conference this time!

Hughes ran so much PR for CJ over Gase it was ridiculous.  "What you have to understand about Chris Johnson is that he MEANS well.  He's so committed to bringing a winner to the Jets.  This worries hm as much as the fans!"  After a few months of listening to that on the Athletic podcasts I haven't read or listened to anything by Hughes since.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Possibly. 

I'm personally not that obsessed with how much we get back for Sam. I think if we can get a 3rd round pick or better, we should do it immediately. Of course this is all under the assumption that we take a QB at 2 - A lot of people really think the Jets are going to hang onto Darnold. If we pass on a QB at 2, I could see us hanging on to him even if we did take a QB later in the draft. 

Of course I want as much as we can get but I generally agree. If his 2021 salary wasn't guaranteed, I'd cut him if I couldn't get anyone to bite.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Hughes ran so much PR for CJ over Gase it was ridiculous.  "What you have to understand about Chris Johnson is that he MEANS well.  He's so committed to bringing a winner to the Jets.  This worries hm as much as the fans!"  After a few months of listening to that on the Athletic podcasts I haven't read or listened to anything by Hughes since.

Ret-conning that Peyton endorsement after Jets had already whiffed on all their other options was a PR masterstroke, also.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

maths a little off... 1 pm actually lolol ?

but yea its getting annoying now 

• Upvote 1

latest update: paraphrasing Ian Rapoport 1 p.m. Eastern NFL Network. Robert Saleh has not left the building. He said reading the tea leaves it looks like both sides just need to come together and the Jets will get one of the hottest candidates available on the market. Then in a very odd moment Mike Garofalo was about to say something and the  producers cut him off

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ret-conning that Peyton endorsement after Jets had already whiffed on all their other options was a PR masterstroke, also.

I have to wonder about that.  Because supposedly before our search John Elway told Trent Baalke that Gase wasn't head coaching material.  The NFL world at the top of the pyramid is really small.  I just don't see how CJ couldn't have heard that unless he was utterly infatuated with Gase.  (again, entirely possible.)  So while Peyton probably endorsed his Marty Feldman-esque friend.  The idea that it was a ringing endorsement doesn't sit with me.  Manning probably played up on Gase's strengths without telling him his weaknesses.  That's hardly a reason to give somebody a head coaching job.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

1 but yeah... if they were set you think it wouldn't take 7 hours with CJ 

6 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

At what time do we start to worry if nothing has been announced? 16:00 ET? 

If no deal is done today I don't think it will happen. I guess there is a small hope if he leaves and we up our price before he gets to his next meeting but I'd have to imagine the deal is done or not today.

This reminds me of the time that it Steve Kerr was going to be the Knicks coach and we waited and waited for the official word that never came.   

When things appear to drag on then I would imagine its about the financials.    Get it done. Don't penny pinch and then have to pivot to someone else and act like they were the 1st choice..

• Upvote 2