Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

19 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I don't blame CJ for taking a few hours.  The last time he made a decision like this he spent the next two years sweating bullets outside press conferences convincing himself to put confidence in Adam Gase. 

as Peyton manning doesn't call he should be good, lol

28 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Edited. @Dcat  was kidding apparently. The whoosh you here is the joke going over my head as well as others apparently lol. My b dude haha. 

I didn't even know that E.Y. was a therapist.  I just got a kick out of the " stop being so narcissistic (joking, kind of, not really, ha)."

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I have to wonder about that.  Because supposedly before our search John Elway told Trent Baalke that Gase wasn't head coaching material.  The NFL world at the top of the pyramid is really small.  I just don't see how CJ couldn't have heard that unless he was utterly infatuated with Gase.  (again, entirely possible.)  So while Peyton probably endorsed his Marty Feldman-esque friend.  The idea that it was a ringing endorsement doesn't sit with me.  Manning probably played up on Gase's strengths without telling him his weaknesses.  That's hardly a reason to give somebody a head coaching job.

I think the Jets bungled the whole search, making Gregg Williams non-negotiable and demanding assistant-veto and (probably) paying on the lower end of the HC scale. When the music stopped only McCarthy and Gase were left without a chair. McCarthy, by most accounts, withdrew himself, leaving Jets two bad choices: start the search essentially back at square one late in the game or go with Gase and try to put as much lipstick on it as possible to make it seem like something other than what it was: a desperation hire.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I thought it was philly?  then its just a quick 2.5 hr drive down the turnpike.. 6 hrs if theres traffic

I thought Philly was supposed to be a private Jet flight to Florida to meet with the Eagles owner and whoever else.

Just now, Dcat said:

I thought Philly was supposed to be a private Jet flight to Florida to meet with the Eagles owner and whoever else.

ahhh true youre right, forgot Lurie is in florida.  ehhh whatever, philly is a mess too, who wants to coach at a place where Lurie and Roseman are breathing down your neck and forcing decisions. 

3 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

OK.  EVERYBODY STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD UNLESS YOU HAVE AN ACTUAL UPDATE

I have an update!!!...............

...........I think I'm gonna go with an old reliable PB&J and chocolate milk for lunch today.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, prime21 said:

When things appear to drag on then I would imagine its about the financials.    Get it done. Don't penny pinch and then have to pivot to someone else and act like they were the 1st choice..

gee

that doesn't sound like the Jets at all 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think the Jets bungled the whole search, making Gregg Williams non-negotiable and demanding assistant-veto and (probably) paying on the lower end of the HC scale. When the music stopped only McCarthy and Gase were left without a chair. McCarthy, by most accounts, withdrew himself, leaving Jets two bad choices: start the search essentially back at square one late in the game or go with Gase and try to put as much lipstick on it as possible to make it seem like something other than what it was: a desperation hire.

After his "performance" in Dallas, and the ascension of GB once he left, you really want to lament missing out on McCarthy? Gase was a horrible choice but McCarthy would have been too

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

At what time do we start to worry if nothing has been announced? 16:00 ET? 

I don't know.  I am not worried at all.  I will be happy with the Saleh hire, but at the end of the day, none of us know if he will or will not make a good head coach.  If its not Saleh, it will be someone else.

Now, on draft day, when I have no idea which college kids will become goodpros, I will completely stress about the guy I need, want and have to have.  But for some reason, I am a lot calmer on the coaching search.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I have an update!!!...............

...........I think I'm gonna go with an old reliable PB&J and chocolate milk for lunch today.  

I just finished a PB&J a few minutes ago - outstanding choice but did not have chocolate milk. My Golden retriever had some also. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't know.  I am not worried at all.  I will be happy with the Saleh hire, but at the end of the day, none of us know if he will or will not make a good head coach.  If its not Saleh, it will be someone else.

Now, on draft day, when I have no idea which college kids will become goodpros, I will completely stress about the guy I need, want and have to have.  But for some reason, I am a lot calmer on the coaching search.

Interesting. I am the opposite. I have my favorites in the draft but I realize that I have minimal evaluation skills, but I think I have a better view into what makes a good head coach so I am much more invested.

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

After his "performance" in Dallas, and the ascension of GB once he left, you really want to lament missing out on McCarthy? Gase was a horrible choice but McCarthy would have been too

Not sure how you got that from my post...

1 minute ago, ganggreen305 said:

Why do I keep checking on this whole situation every 3 minutes?  Why do I do this to myself?  AGGHHHHHHHHHH

Go Jets!!!  Get it done already.

Because the second you walk away for 15 minutes you're going to miss the announcement...followed by five new threads and 23 pages of reactions including page upon page of mono-syllabic jargon like, "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa." 

But also, there will be a lot of gifs.  Of them, 1 or 2 that will be legitimately funny and worth the scrolling. 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Interesting. I am the opposite. I have my favorites in the draft but I realize that I have minimal evaluation skills, but I think I have a better view into what makes a good head coach so I am much more invested.

The 2014 John Idzik "Build Through the Draft" debacle absolutely had a catastrophic effect on my draft day temperament.  I was more invested in that draft than any other.  We had so many picks.  We were going to build it THE RIGHT WAY.  And watching the ensuing years (as every pick become utter failures) has now turned me into a draft day mess.  Enunwa's initial success just reminded me of the pain.

37 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Right.  Rex kept Scotty, or was forced to keep Scotty, and told Scotty to run the ball.   Can't say how much Rex coming from the running Ravens influenced it.

To get back on point.... We don't know if a defensive coach will bring his prior team's offensive philosophy with him as you accurately pointed out earlier, and we don't know Seleh's offensive philosophy as of yet. 

We don't even know, with this effing team, if he will even be allowed to hire his own OC.

Don't tell Scotty - Album on Imgur