Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Aren't people overreacting? 

I like Saleh a lot as a candidate, but it had already been reported that multiple guys were in line to get second interviews. 

A lot of the stuff painting Saleh as the Jets favorite candidate seemed like speculation. 

I do agree that him leaving the building means he probably doesn't get the job, but it just feels like everyone fell in love with this guy overnight based on the hype that he was probably going to get the job. I don't remember the passion for this guy a week ago. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Yeah I agree. He's a good candidate but there are 3 other coaches I'd be happy with. I have a feeling as long as guys are in the running for the Jacksonville job they won't accept a different position. Jacksonville is a better job based on their current talent and the #1 pick.  That's the reality. 

• Upvote 1

Lets be real about it: If he was the choice they would have hired him now, he won't be our coach. Especially with him going to interview elsewhere

Why he's not the choice with that long courtship, well that certainly doesn't look good on our part and echoes the last HC search.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would be worried about the guy if he signed with the Jets, while having other interviews scheduled. And I would be disappointed with the Jets if they did the same.

Whether there is ultimately a consummation, I have no clue. But the dating game has to play out on both sides.

Exactly. Everyone get some perspective. The NFL is a fraternity. He agreed to an interview with the Eagles that had already been set up. The private jet set up by Lurie was probably already waiting for him. What goes around comes around in such a small industry. Get the reputation as someone who doesn't honor commitments and that could hurt him for jobs down the line. Could also be a negotiating tactic by Saleh even if there's mutual interest with Jets. Nothing is effed here.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

- Eagles chose Pederson's assistants last time, that same GM is still there

- They are in horrible cap situation

- A QB controversy with a QB on a nearly untradable contract

I don't think Philly is going to be a threat. I think the Chargers, Lions, and Falcons are bigger threats.

Totally agree, if he takes Philly job tells me he is dumbass... 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I like Staley too, but we'd have to wait until after they get knocked out in the play-offs right? It is a risk waiting, although unsure if Staley has had other first interviews? 

No I realized after I said that, he won’t be coming in till after they’re eliminated. Flying in would trigger some kind of quarantine I’m sure. 

Just now, jgb said:

Exactly. Everyone get some perspective. The NFL is a fraternity. He agreed to an interview with the Eagles that had already been set up. You don't cancel those on such short notice. What goes around comes around in such a small industry. Get the reputation as a someone who doesn't honor commitments and that could hurt him for jobs down the line.

This is just not accurate. If you want the job, you take the job. There are no place for feelings on professional sports. It's a cutthroat business. What if he is doing what you say but then loses out on the Jets job bc they didn't want to wait then the Eagles decide to choose someone else? It's a game of musical chairs and you don't want to be the last one standing. 

Do we know if the Jets actually offered him a job?

If so, did Saleh decline or did he say he needs to consider other options before deciding?

If Saleh thinks the Eagles with their GM situation, roster and cap challenges are a better fit than the Jets for him then I'd question his judgement.

Let's trust JD and his process.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Can’t really blame Saleh. When the owners greets you like this, I’d hit the road as well. CJ el Cheepo never gave us a chance.

clown GIF by Team Coco

You have no clue what happened. You just want to hire someone in a hurry regardless of who it is? Lol

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This is just not accurate. If you want the job, you take the job. There are no place for feelings on professional sports. It's a cutthroat business. What if he is doing what you say but then loses out on the Jets job bc they didn't want to wait then the Eagles decide to choose someone else? It's a game of musical chairs and you don't want to be the last one standing. 

It's enough to just say that I disagree. If Jets offered Saleh knows they aren't offering someone else the job within 24 hours. Never heard of a job offer with an acceptance window that closes when the interview ends.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, K_O_Brien said:

They needed 24 hours to determine someone was doing poorly in a second interview? Don't buy it. We couldn't close the deal, again. 

There is a process to interviews and you follow through on that process regardless if someone bombs the interview. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Do we know if the Jets actually offered him a job?

If so, did Saleh decline or did he say he needs to consider other options before deciding?

If Saleh thinks the Eagles with their GM situation, roster and cap challenges are a better fit than the Jets for him then I'd question his judgement.

Let's trust JD and his process.

Or did the Jets tell him he was a finalist for the job and they would be conducting other 2nd interviews. The reporting all along has been that the Jets planned on bringing in multiple people for 2nd interviews. 

• Upvote 3