Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Maybe they broke up. Maybe not. This is a profession and business. Do we want a coach to fall all over us and not keep other commitments, if they have been made? Do the Jets want to not conduct total due diligence and vet every candidate to the best of their ability?

If I am Chris Johnson, and JD only brings me one candidate to meet me in person, I would have to wonder if he is doing his full due diligence. If JD is owning this responsibility, do it fully. Present options. That allows comparisons to be made.

Don't F the first girl you date. 

How JN imagines job interviews go

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Maybe they broke up. Maybe not. This is a profession and business. Do we want a coach to fall all over us and not keep other commitments, if they have been made? Do the Jets want to not conduct total due diligence and vet every candidate to the best of their ability?

If I am Chris Johnson, and JD only brings me one candidate to meet me in person, I would have to wonder if he is doing his full due diligence. If JD is owning this responsibility, do it fully. Present options. That allows comparisons to be made.

Don't F the first girl you date

BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

IF an offer was indeed made, it would be reasonable for Jets to say "we will hold it open for 24/48 hours whatever, but in the meantime we will be continuing our process, you understand." The guy's not even allowed to sleep on it and discuss with his family/agent? Lol some of you guys.

yes thats true but a lot of times they strike a deal up the same day. Its a bad sign I appreciate your optimism but it conflicts with my realism

9 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Staley has a bunch of all pro players on defense. Aaron Donald is a monster. He's not a better choice than Saleh.

The only dude I'd take after Saleh is Joe Brady. After that, I rather just go into next year without a head coach. 

Good point on Staley.  He literally has exactly what the Jets crave most on defense... a dominant pass rusher and a lockdown CB.

Quinnen is coming along well but we still need that Edge guy and a true CB1.  Those things can make any DC look good.

• Upvote 2

Just now, HighPitch said:

yes thats true but a lot of times they strike a deal up the same day. Its a bad sign I appreciate your optimism but it conflicts with my realism

Everyone believes they are the realistic one. Saleh isn't even my top choice by far but this doesn't mean it's over with him by a long shot.

So I'm just going to make a few guesses as to what happened.

1. The Jets want to be thorough in their search and cast a wide net and they just let the best candidate walk right out the door. The Eagles will be announcing him as their new head coach by 9 p.m.

2.  Christopher Johnson showed up and yes the Johnsons are Aliens just like Cellino & Barnes. Some NFL owners remind me very much of Mr.Burns from The Simpsons. Everybody I just named is creepy old, white and weird. I guess you could include Emperor Palpatine in that group as well. Talking all slow and soft and calm.

3. This may be possible... I thought about this earlier while everybody was worrying who the offensive coordinator was going to be. Who was his choice for defensive coordinator? We all figured it was going to be HIS defense right? However Alien Johnson did State at his press conference that he wasn't doing that anymore with the head coach running one side of the ball. It is possible he was not prepared even if they like him?

4. Somebody alluded to the fact that maybe he's a man of character, it is possible he wants to do his own due diligence and explore all his personal options.

5. They made him an offer that was laughable and he completely felt gypped!?

6.  Maybe just maybe they low-balled him but they knew his next stop was Philly which is a total slum sh*thole, and they figure he'll come back begging for helicopter rides and massages at Florham Park?

7. Maybe he refused to wear a hat at the press conference and they told him his head was shaped like a veiny light bulb? After the last introductory press conference of our latest head coach you know how the media and fans can be!

Those are just a few guesses quite honestly helping me vent. What do you guys think?

Albert Breer article. Arthur Smith?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/13/nfl-mailbag-broncos-hire-george-paton-more-job-openings

From Max (@max_schein): Other than Saleh, who do you think is a realistic finalist for the Jets job?

Max, Saleh could have multiple opportunities—I’m told he’s stayed in touch with Detroit throughout, even as he headed to interview in-person with the Jets. So it’s certainly possible that the Jets move on Saleh, and Saleh’s people try and get an answer from the Lions on where they stand. Would the Lions then bring their process to an abrupt end in order to land Saleh? That I’m less sure of.

But if it’s not Saleh, my feeling is Titans OC Arthur Smith would be a name of interest, as would a couple college coaches—you’re hearing less about college names now in large part because, for recruiting reasons and otherwise, it doesn’t behoove college coaches to have their names out there as candidates for NFL jobs. I will say that the Jets’ pledge that they’d have a wide-open search has been fulfilled. There isn’t really a natural connection between Saleh and the team, meaning this reflects the Jets’ liking his plan.

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

This could also be Saleh pulling a leverage move to try to get more money from the Jets?

Saleh got a late night call from the Ealges basically offering him the job. You don't take a flight to florida during a pandemic just to fulfil a commitment. We got left at the altar. 

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

My guess is he wanted to take the interview with the Eagles.  And the Jets might have offered him the job but also wanted to be honor their commitments as well.  Douglas may have promised Arthur Smith a shot to sell him in person.  We don't know that.  I am just being rational guys.  You know.  That thing in the dictionary that is the opposite of what this site is.

Good take. 

30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The money, maybe.  The staff issues I think were more of a Maccagnan problem.  I'm not sure Joe D would be as embedded in the idea that he needs to force staff on a new HC, but who knows.

JD explicitly said that the new coach will pick his staff 

edit: pick 

• Upvote 1

It's obviously a money issue, as in the Johnson Bros trying to save some...

I don't think I remember someone leaving the building after the "wine and dine" and having that person eventually be the eventual hire...

So 41 pages and 1400 posts later, Saleh will be screaming on someone else's (probably Eagles) sideline...

And we come out of the bathroom with just our d!ck in our hands...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2