Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

308F4528-FA78-41D3-A9B4-DE3AF644213C.jpeg

i dont understand this, we completed the interview, but didnt hire him so its a no go according to you? is that what Is supposed to take from this? I mean i get it, it would be nice is he signed up but just because he left the building does that mean we dont want him?

Perhaps more talk is needed? Like ok evrerything sounds great let me talk it over with my wife etc stuff or maybe Joe is like let me talk with the owners etc..

I know I dont think it 100 percent is RIP...

Maybe I missed something in the news?

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Eagles have no cap room, a wildly overpaid QB sitting on the bench whining who just got a Super Bowl coach fired, the Oline is old & breaking down. They have no draft assets like the Jets, so if he takes the job? good luck to him.

and the Jets have a more pleasant shade of green in their uniforms

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Aren't people overreacting? 

I like Saleh a lot as a candidate, but it had already been reported that multiple guys were in line to get second interviews. 

A lot of the stuff painting Saleh as the Jets favorite candidate seemed like speculation. 

I do agree that him leaving the building means he probably doesn't get the job, but it just feels like everyone fell in love with this guy overnight based on the hype that he was probably going to get the job. I don't remember the passion for this guy a week ago. 

Just my 2 cents. 

I think this will be confirmed if we see other 2nd interviews happen just as quickly.  Remember, we had seen several first interviews reported and then yesterday morning it popped up the Saleh was getting on a plane for a 2nd interview.  24 hours later it's done.  Wham, Bam, thank you Mam.  If another candidate is on a plane tomorrow morning we can probably be safe in assuming this process is unfolding on schedule.  Of course, that's just speculation.

Let's also remember that this really is JD's first rodeo when it comes to a HC search.  He hasn't done this before and during his ESPN radio interview last week he said as much, even mentioning that he'd be learning a lot.  One of the toughest things to learn is how to balance speed with thoroughness I think.  You need to get your guy quickly....but he also really needs to be "your guy."  And, how do you know if Saleh is your guy if he's the ONLY one you've interviewed in-person after assembling a list of several candidates that you'd like to interview a second time.  In other words, if the Jets put together a list of Brady, Saleh, Eberflus and whoever else they want to bring for 2nd interviews how do you just jump on the first guy who gets scheduled and not talk to the others?  Being thorough is risky, because like researching a stock you can do your due diligence and then when you decide to buy the price has risen 20%.  The Jets could conduct 4 or 5 second interviews and then want to make a decision finding that only 2 of the candidates are left.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jetblue95 said:

how come all the jets 1st interviews were zoom (thought this was a league rule), but the eagles are able to conduct an in person 1st interview?

because Saleh is on his way to sign a contract with the Eagles. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would be worried about the guy if he signed with the Jets, while having other interviews scheduled. And I would be disappointed with the Jets if they did the same.

Whether there is ultimately a consummation, I have no clue. But the dating game has to play out on both sides.

From a purely business perspective the guy would be CRAZY to accept an offer while he was here. CRAZY.

He is the hot coaching candidate. Other teams want him. You say let me think about it, keep your options open. He will seriously make millions more by doing it this way.  

I hope the Jets end up landing him, not feeling good about it. But it makes me like him more. Good for him, have to be confident, this is his shot to change his financial future forever.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, Maxman said:

From a purely business perspective the guy would be CRAZY to accept an offer while he was here. CRAZY.

He is the hot coaching candidate. Other teams want him. You say let me think about it, keep your options open. He will seriously make millions more by doing it this way.  

I hope the Jets end up landing him, not feeling good about it. But it makes me like him more. Good for him, have to be confident, this is his shot to change his financial future forever.

Read this as the hot chocolate candidate. I can see it.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Went from #8 in points allowed in 2019 to #17 in 2020. One spot worse than Seattle.

Points allowed isn't how you measure defense. Pace plays a factor in that. Remember, the Niners offense was worse this year so they didn't stay on the field as much. The Niners defense was 6th in DVOA this year.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I think this will be confirmed if we see other 2nd interviews happen just as quickly.  Remember, we had seen several first interviews reported and then yesterday morning it popped up the Saleh was getting on a plane for a 2nd interview.  24 hours later it's done.  Wham, Bam, thank you Mam.  If another candidate is on a plane tomorrow morning we can probably be safe in assuming this process is unfolding on schedule.  Of course, that's just speculation.

Let's also remember that this really is JD's first rodeo when it comes to a HC search.  He hasn't done this before and during his ESPN radio interview last week he said as much, even mentioning that he'd be learning a lot.  One of the toughest things to learn is how to balance speed with thoroughness I think.  You need to get your guy quickly....but he also really needs to be "your guy."  And, how do you know if Saleh is your guy if he's the ONLY one you've interviewed in-person after assembling a list of several candidates that you'd like to interview a second time.  In other words, if the Jets put together a list of Brady, Saleh, Eberflus and whoever else they want to bring for 2nd interviews how do you just jump on the first guy who gets scheduled and not talk to the others?  Being thorough is risky, because like researching a stock you can do your due diligence and then when you decide to buy the price has risen 20%.  The Jets could conduct 4 or 5 second interviews and then want to make a decision finding that only 2 of the candidates are left.

So you are the Johnsons and you give your GM newfound responsibility of hiring the next coach for your club.

During this process he brings you one guy. Mommy, mommy please, I want to buy this one. Believe me, he is the best.

How do you feel about your GM now? And I don't believe that is how JD operates. Smart managers convey their convictions by providing options, and explain the differences and why.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Points allowed isn't how you measure defense. Pace plays a factor in that. They were 6th in DVOA this year.

Tell me your opinion and I'll find a stat to support it. :) 

Call me old fashioned but preventing other teams from scoring is what defenses are supposed to do.

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

If the Jets offered Saleh the job and he said he needed time to think and explore other options, this current board meltdown validates it at a solid negotiating tactic.

I tried to catch up on all the pages but from what I gather people are over reacting to him not being hired on the spot. Maybe he goes to Philly this weekend whatever..

We nor should he be in a rush, the reality i think is that he is going to get some options and think it over, could be just wants best team, best money, other something elsse, but in any case just like buying a car unkless you get everythign you want and the prices you dont buy on the spot you have to haggle. 

On the other side Jets dont need to shill out and give out 10 year contracts plenty of good options, I bet he got an offer from the JEts and both are going to think about it. I think the Jets are seriously interested and he probably need to think a little bit and see waht other teams offer...due diligence in all.

I mean what if philly offers to let him pick his own Gm and be the man, might be more attractive that working for Joe, who knows too many variables, any way you slice it, i dont think it tells us anything other than we have to interview more than one guy. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

When I was in college I interned at Universal Records.  They made me sign a non-disclosure agreement big enough to choke a donkey.  Lord knows how big the one when you sign for an NFL team is.

So, what can you tell us about Universal? Is it true what they say about Lady Gaga.

<note to site, I actually had to google what artists were contracted by Universal-Don't judge me>

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You’re still having problems with that huh?

• Haha 1

No one is reporting that a contract was offered so to some extent that is good because the door is open for him to come back.  But with several openings, a two day 2nd round interview is time consuming and they may loose out on the people on top of their ranking order.