Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s because the “other guy in the room” was Maccagnan.  So CJ did know more than the other guy.  

Don’t fear being wrong. You took a swing based on legitimate info; and apparently it’s what is being heard around the league. Kudos to you, regardless of what happens. 

According to Ian Rapoport and Peter Schrager, Saleh arrived last night and met with some of the people from the Jets organization and is now meeting with Christopher Johnson this morning.  He wil

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Usually I'd agree in most scenarios but these don't happen in a vacuum. While you're waiting to fulfill your future interviews, for Saleh, jobs fill up and for the Jets, candidates they've interviewed sign elsewhere waiting for the rest of the interviews to be completed.

If every team & every candidate waited until all the interviews were over, then that'd be different. But that doesn't happen. What if Saleh is ultimately only getting an interview from the Jets, and while he's pondering their offer they interview someone else who knocks the team's socks off at the second interview, and Saleh missed his chance. Similar from the other end for the team: they finished their interviews, and in the end like Saleh best, but by the time they've decided Saleh has already signed elsewhere.

So I think both sides could be given a good amount of slack for cancelling future interviews because they've already made a love connection.

What we don't know is what we don't know. Anything can happen. 

The only thing we can be sure of is that Saleh was one of their highest rated. Whether his in fact the number one, or if that door is closed, is unknown.

• Upvote 1

Alternatively, Robert Saleh is demonstrating that he can remain calm, evaluate all options available to him and will ultimately choose the job he feels best suits him and the franchise, and one where he believes he can bring the best chance of success. 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Dcat said:

I didn't even know that E.Y. was a therapist.  I just got a kick out of the " stop being so narcissistic (joking, kind of, not really, ha)."

It was hilarious. The internet kills tone of voice and if your read something wrong way you’re like “man what a douche...and then moments later you’re thinking wait... omg.... I’m the douche ::mindblown::” lol

8 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

They took him to that sad Ruth's Chris inside the Parsippany Hilton.

That would be pathetic. You have a new facility. Dress it up for the occasion, and hire fire star chefs to come into to cook those meals. But only after the candidate steps off the helicopter which lands on premise straight from the airport.

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Three-legged stool, man.  You can have it fast, you can have it cheap, or you can have high quality.  You can't have all three.

(And yes, I got your joke.  The wife says hello by the way.  "Is he in Vegas?  Did he end up marrying the babysitter?" lol )

Tell your much better half i said hi.  still have no idea how you pulled that off.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The only thing we can be sure of is that Saleh was one of their highest rated. Whether his in fact the number one, or if that door is closed, is unknown.

You gotta give a guy at least 12/24 hours to mull something like this. Jets won't be able to re-load the barrel and get another candidate in through the 2nd round in that timeframe anyway. It costs them nothing to give him some time. Sperm's right if it drags on into Friday, we'll be pretty confident either there was no offer or Saleh declined or is going at risk to continue to talk to other teams.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

It's the Jets. Let's face it.  They took him to that sad Ruth's Chris inside the Parsippany Hilton.

I'd be on that flight to Miami too.

Johnson probably figured taking Saleh to the Kabab Factory in Edison was a good move.  Show the kid that he was "hip" to Middle Eastern culture.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, jgb said:

Imagine what would happen if Saleh accepted a job on the spot without at least giving his wife a cursory consult. Even if his mind is made up, some boxes just need to be checked.

That means he's a man of action with the right priorites. I like a coach who's willing to burn his personal life for the success of the team I root for for entertainment purposes.

Jeff Daniels Workaholics GIF by Showtime

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Imagine what would happen if Saleh accepted a job on the spot without at least giving his wife a courtesy consult. Even if his mind is made up, some boxes just need to be checked.

That's what last night was for, no?  Had dinner, got the Jets pitch, got a financial offer, had the follow up meeting scheduled for the morning.  He and his wife spoke at length last night, his agent too, and they decided to say "maybe" which might mean just that but probably means "no".

SAR I

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

Just the usual. Extreme elation followed by enraged negativity.

Hmm....we just dont know what Douglas wanted. If he was convinced of Saleh and couldn't close, that would be a terrible sign. 

But if he legit thinks he can play the field.... I will hope this works out like that trade in the second round last year.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That means he's a man of action with the right priorites. I like a coach who's willing to burn his personal life for the success of the team I root for for entertainment purposes.

Jeff Daniels Workaholics GIF by Showtime

Gase walked out on his wife right after she gave birth to go to the office. Just sayin'.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Imagine what would happen if Saleh accepted a job on the spot without at least giving his wife a courtesy consult. Even if his mind is made up, some boxes just need to be checked.

I know you're trying to rationalize this, I wanted Saleh too, but its over. Today was a THIRD interview. Saleh had plenty of time to discuss things with his wife after the virtual interview and last night/this morning.

Just now, munchmemory said:

Johnson probably figured taking Saleh to the Kabab Factory in Edison was a good move.  Show the kid that he was "hip" to Middle Eastern culture.

Or Newark because of the great Portuguese restaurants.

Things got awkward when Saleh informed Christopher Johnson that Portugal is not in the Middle East.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

That's what last night was for, no?  Had dinner, got the Jets pitch, got a financial offer, had the follow up meeting scheduled for the morning.  He and his wife spoke at length last night, his agent too, and they decided to say "maybe" which might mean just that but probably means "no".

SAR I

Sadly I agree

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I didn't accept 3 martinis in either. I flew home. Mulled both offers. Discussed with people I trusted and informed both firms a couple days later even though I was 99.9% sure of my choice before I got on the plane. I'll grant the timeframe is compressed in the NFL but certainly the time-to-accept ain't 0h0m0s.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Gase walked out one his wife right after she gave birth to go to the office. Just sayin'.

homer simpson touche GIF

My guy wouldn't have even gone to the hospital. Just ask the doctor to use his phone to video conference if even that. "Hey doc, angle it to the right a little". Then he starts talking about how the doctor could have his hands in a better position to take the hand off so that he doesn't fumble. That's my guy.

• Haha 1

I know it is hard to believe but we are one of the best landing spots for a new head coach. 

If you have a plan that includes in-person interviews with a few finalists, you don't scrap that plan because you fall in love during the first in-person interview. That is called desperation.

I think this may be different pre-covid where all interviews were in person - but that isn't reality right now. 

It is not the popular choice, especially with the media yelling "if he's number one don't let him leave!" But I think you have to see the plan through without fear of losing out on someone. 

I applaud JD for sticking to the plan.

Just now, QB1 said:

I know you're trying to rationalize this, I wanted Saleh too, but its over. Today was a THIRD interview. Saleh had plenty of time to discuss things with his wife after the virtual interview and last night/this morning.

I don't want Saleh per se. Only one of us is coming from an emotional position on this one. But that's what fandom is all about so it's not a criticism.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

i love lucy vintage GIF

It's going to boil down to the last coordinator on the list or an ex-HC looking for a resurrection.

Jason Garrett and Doug Pederson are as good as it gets.

You all wanted Gase gone.  Enjoy.

SAR I

• Confused 1
4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Rumor is it they made an offer. I don't know what the percentage is, of candidates taking an early offer, as to whether they always sign right then & there or if they sleep on it. Maybe he was looking for another year, or another million per base, or who knows what. Or maybe he just wanted to talk to his family who may have had their hearts set on moving somewhere warmer.

I don't know anything, except that I get excited when I see you've responded to my post. I know that much. 

• Haha 1
Just now, SAR I said:

It's going to boil down to the last coordinator on the list or an ex-HC looking for a resurrection.

SAR I

ANYONE and I repeat ANYONE is better than Adam Gase.

joewilly12 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I am.

Thoroughly enjoying Gase being gone, that's for sure.

If it HAS TO BE a former HC I do think Pederson is the guy I'd prefer over Garrett, Marvin Lewis, etc.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Marvin Lewis, Bienamy, Harbaugh was on the list, Patrick Graham, Greg roman

Pretty aligned. Disagree on Roman but what do I know lol

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Rumor is it they made an offer. I don't know what the percentage is, of candidates taking an early offer, as to whether they always sign right then & there or if they sleep on it. Maybe he was looking for another year, or another million per base, or who knows what. Or maybe he just wanted to talk to his family who may have had their hearts set on moving somewhere warmer.

I don't know anything, except that I get excited when I see you've responded to my post. I know that much. 

Well, you know more than I know then, again.

With that information, this should be wrapped up within 48 hours. One way or the other. 

Psst, I get tingly too.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Hmm....we just dont know what Douglas wanted. If he was convinced of Saleh and couldn't close, that would be a terrible sign. 

But if he legit thinks he can play the field.... I will hope this works out like that trade in the second round last year.

As @Beerfishhas mentioned he might be actually evaluating all options. It’s what you do to make sound decisions. Maybe he really is bringing in a narrowed list for in person so he can pick amongst them. You don’t start like that and sign the first guy cause he sounded good. Maybe the next guy sounds better or if the third guy was actually the best. 

• Upvote 1