Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

homer simpson touche GIF

My guy wouldn't have even gone to the hospital. Just ask the doctor to use his phone to video conference if even that. "Hey doc, angle it to the right a little". Then he starts talking about how the doctor could have hand position to take the hand off so that he doesn't fumble. That's my guy.

Saleh would ask "What's the baby's BMI? What was its 40cm time down the birth canal?"

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

SAR, stop it.  No way any thinking Jet fan wants Garrett here.

When you're the last girl at the dance you take what you can get.

Pederson won a Super Bowl with a backup quarterback for a team that hadn't done so ever and in a vicious media market.

Garrett developed Dak, Zeke, and Dez, had a Top 10 offense every year, and was also in a vicious media market.

IMO, I'd rather we start looking at these guys than courting some "who?" coordinator or D2 college coach.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

Just now, SAR I said:

When you're the last girl at the dance you take what you can get.

Pederson won a Super Bowl for a team that hadn't done so ever and in a vicious media market.

Garrett developed Dak, Zeke, and Dez, had a Top 10 offense every year, and was also in a vicious media market.

IMO, I'd rather we start looking at these guys than courting some "who?" coordinator or D2 college coach.

SAR I

I have no problem with Pederson.  Probably our best shot at finding a "ready now", successful HC.   But under no circumstance do I sign off on Garrett.  Never.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Hmm....we just dont know what Douglas wanted. If he was convinced of Saleh and couldn't close, that would be a terrible sign. 

But if he legit thinks he can play the field.... I will hope this works out like that trade in the second round last year.

We don't know what he wanted. We don't know if an offer was made. We don't know if Saleh accepted. We don't know if he's mulling it. We don't know if he already knows he wants the job but is seeing the Eagles as a courtesy. We don't know if he already knows he doesn't want the job but is holding the Jets in reserve for as long as possible as a fallback. We don't know anything. We certainly don't know enough to know that Saleh will not be the next HC of the NYJ.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

I didn't accept 3 martinis in either. I flew home. Mulled both offers. Discussed with people I trusted and informed both firms a couple days later even though I was 99.9% sure of my choice before I got on the plane. I'll grant the timeframe is compressed in the NFL but certainly the time-to-accept ain't 0h0m0s.

I pray you are right.  Just not feeling it. 

Usually, when the hot babe at the bar quietly gets dressed, silently tiptoes, and carries her shoes out of your hotel room door without brushing her hair the next morning it means the sex wasn't that good.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's what last night was for, no?  Had dinner, got the Jets pitch, got a financial offer, had the follow up meeting scheduled for the morning.  He and his wife spoke at length last night, his agent too, and they decided to say "maybe" which might mean just that but probably means "no".

SAR I

We're all making assumptions, the only difference is you refuse to consider the ones that aren't yours.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I pray you are right.  Just not feeling it. 

Usually, when the hot babe at the bar quietly gets dressed, silently tiptoes, and carries her shoes out of your hotel room door without brushing her hair the next morning it means the sex wasn't that good.

SAR I

I'm not making a prediction. I'm saying we don't know and no amount of tea leaf reading will lead us to a conclusion with the current information we have.

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Saleh is still probably laughing at the $3M per year offer that the Johnson put on the table.  

What is Woody trying to accomplish?

he hired back2backworst head coaches in the NFL.  If you want to get someone good you gotta pay

Ugh FML

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I am.

Thoroughly enjoying Gase being gone, that's for sure.

If it HAS TO BE a former HC I do think Pederson is the guy I'd prefer over Garrett, Marvin Lewis, etc.

I'm not fighting for Gase anymore, but you have to admit he and his family were treated like dirt since the moment he got here and that does impact head coaching candidates like Saleh who are very highly sought after.  All the other teams have good quarterbacks, almost all have better cultures, almost all have better weather or lower taxes.

Garrett
Pederson
Lewis

I'd prefer Garrett because he actually developed superstar offensive players, sustained a Top 10 offense for a decade, and was beloved by his players all while being attacked by a vicious media and a meddling owner.  I think he's battle-tested.  Lives here too.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

What is Woody trying to accomplish?

he hired back2backworst head coaches in the NFL.  If you want to get someone good you gotta pay

Ugh FML

Profit. Margin.

As long as a team is above the Mendoza-line of suck, profits are relatively inelastic. But we are now below that line so my hope is that Woody plunks down what it takes this time around.

Maybe it's been said, I think he's just making 100% he's certain because I'm guessing at the beginning of this process he didn't picture himself with the Jets.  The fact that he's a Michigan native, had Michigan politicians writing the Lions to hire him and seemingly was always probably a good bet to go to the Lions has to give him at least a desire to step back for one second and make sure he's completely comfortable. 

All the sudden you and the Jets brass hit it off and you are to a point you didn't envision being two weeks ago.  I'd take a second to step back too.  I'd also meet with the Eagles to make sure I still felt the same way about the other job.

The other possibility is he was ready to jump and we didn't.  Who knows.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

We're all making assumptions, the only difference is you refuse to consider the ones that aren't yours.

I am not only considering that Saleh takes the job, I am praying for it.  I was up all night checking this thread for inside information.

It's never good when the sleepover ends and his mom is picking up your friend before breakfast.

SAR I

The old, desperate Jets held coaches and players prisoner until they said yes to a contract. The new, in-charge Jets tell the coaches and players that they need to think things over and consider other options before making a decision. I like it. That is how winners behave. Rather than generating vibes of desperation they emanate beams of "you need us more than we need you."

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SAR I said:

I am not only considering that Saleh takes the job, I am praying for it.  I was up all night checking this thread for inside information.

It's never good when the sleepover ends and his mom is picking up your friend before breakfast.

SAR I

Is Saleh your top choice? And if so, for how long has he been?

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'm not making a prediction. I'm saying we don't know and no amount of tea leaf reading will lead us to a conclusion with the current information we have.

Agreed, but guessing and predicting are what discussion forums are for.  We'll be off Saleh and into the next Candidate Of The Moment tomorrow, it's how it works.

Jason Garrett is looking better and better to me.  Dak, Zeke, Dez, a Top 10 offense for a decade, can handle a vicious media and ornery fans.  He lives in NJ too.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's going to boil down to the last coordinator on the list or an ex-HC looking for a resurrection.

Jason Garrett and Doug Pederson are as good as it gets.

You all wanted Gase gone.  Enjoy.

SAR I

It was my prediction from the beginning which is why I had Bieniemy as the favorite. However, the recent circumstance with Saleh does not make that scenario any more likely that it might have otherwise been.

• Upvote 1

From a purely business perspective the guy would be CRAZY to accept an offer while he was here. CRAZY.
He is the hot coaching candidate. Other teams want him. You say let me think about it, keep your options open. He will seriously make millions more by doing it this way.  
I hope the Jets end up landing him, not feeling good about it. But it makes me like him more. Good for him, have to be confident, this is his shot to change his financial future forever.

I totally agree. It would be irresponsible for him to jump the first team to make him an offer, knowing all of the potential high paying suitors he has in his current situation. Hopefully he at least gave JD the courtesy to possibly match any higher offers going forward, and even then he may decide another situation is a better fit.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Is Saleh your top choice? And if so, for how long has he been?

Daboll, Saleh, Garrett, Pederson.

Those are my Top 4 in any order you prefer.  Offensive guys, two of them proven playoff winners and leaders in big fishbowl markets, two of them hot coordinators that most NFL experts believe are going to be great.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm not fighting for Gase anymore, but you have to admit he and his family were treated like dirt since the moment he got here and that does impact head coaching candidates like Saleh who are very highly sought after.  All the other teams have good quarterbacks, almost all have better cultures, almost all have better weather or lower taxes.

Garrett
Pederson
Lewis

I'd prefer Garrett because he actually developed superstar offensive players, sustained a Top 10 offense for a decade, and was beloved by his players all while being attacked by a vicious media and a meddling owner.  I think he's battle-tested.  Lives here too.

SAR I

I totally agree that Gase was treated poorly upon his hire, but most of the issue was due to the Jet's "roll out" of their new hire. What a PR disaster.

I'm also on board with Garrett. He would most definitely take the team to respectability, and if he can't take the next step, hire a HC that can.

• Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, QB1 said:

No offer was made. You don’t fly to Florida to interview the eagles if an offer was made. This is a second interview, Saleh doesn’t spend two days with the Jets if he isn’t hoping to get an offer and accept it on the spot.

2 days is a little much. He got there late evening and they were done around 2 today. He probably spent 3 hours with them last night and a few hours today. That's about 6-7 hours total. Unless of course you're suggesting he slept at JD's house last night. That's a standard in person visit. Met with the GM last night and got a tour of the facility. Today he probably got a tour of the surrounding neighborhoods then met with Chris over lunch. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Agreed, but guessing and predicting are what discussion forums are for.  We'll be off Saleh and into the next Candidate Of The Moment tomorrow, it's how it works.

Jason Garrett is looking better and better to me.  Dak, Zeke, Dez, a Top 10 offense for a decade, can handle a vicious media and ornery fans.  He lives in NJ too.

SAR I

Dallas offense turded out for a while until Kellen Moore took over play calling. Daniel Jones also regressed badly under his watch.