Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Agreed, but guessing and predicting are what discussion forums are for.  We'll be off Saleh and into the next Candidate Of The Moment tomorrow, it's how it works.

Jason Garrett is looking better and better to me.  Dak, Zeke, Dez, a Top 10 offense for a decade, can handle a vicious media and ornery fans.  He lives in NJ too.

SAR I

Agree that guessing and predicting is part of the game. But the ironclad statements that "it's over with Saleh" or "Jets lost their man" are not predictions. They are ghosts formed by an incorrect analysis of the situation.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

ANYONE and I repeat ANYONE is better than Adam Gase.

joewilly12 

No No No.  Everyone keeps saying that.  For every HC after the Jets have fired them.   Same is said about every Jets QB too.   Yet every one sucks just as bad.   I don't know if Saleh will make a good HC.   I think he would be, but I also think there are other good coaches too.   

Joe Douglas said this would be a long search.   Yet everyone is freaking out about first coach seriously interviewed.   

Besides if Jets hired Saleh, he would suck and every Jets fan would scream at CJ and Joe Douglas about not doing a thorough job in interviews, rushing to judgement and hiring the first bum that come along

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

i dont understand this, we completed the interview, but didnt hire him so its a no go according to you? is that what Is supposed to take from this? I mean i get it, it would be nice is he signed up but just because he left the building does that mean we dont want him?

Perhaps more talk is needed? Like ok evrerything sounds great let me talk it over with my wife etc stuff or maybe Joe is like let me talk with the owners etc..

I know I dont think it 100 percent is RIP...

Maybe I missed something in the news?

Agreed, I would feel much better if he wasnt going to Philly

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Pretty aligned. Disagree on Roman but what do I know lol

Roman is a tough one he has done well to redesign an offense to suit his QB.  I have a tough time getting over the fact that they have the worst rated passing offense in the league, worse than the jets.  Sooner or later you have to pass to win in this league.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Daboll, Saleh, Garrett, Pederson.

Those are my Top 4 in any order you prefer.  Offensive guys, two of them proven playoff winners and leaders in big fishbowl markets, two of them hot coordinators that most NFL experts believe are going to be great.

SAR I

Well even if Jets didn't want Saleh or Saleh didn't want them, you still have 3 potential winning tickets :) 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

Roman sis a tough one he has done well to redesign an offense to suit his QB.  I have a tough time getting over the fact that they have the worst rated passing offense in the league, worse than the jets.  Sooner or later you have to pass to win in this league.

It's a good point. The Lamar regression is real although it's almost impossible not to regress after an MVP season.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Roman is a tough one he has done well to redesign an offense to suit his QB.  I have a tough time getting over the fact that they have the worst rated passing offense in the league, worse than the jets.  Sooner or later you have to pass to win in this league.

Roman designed the offense around Lamar’s skill set.  He only usually attempts 25-30 passes a game

Yea let me pass on one of 7 available jobs paying millions of dollars because I’m curious what the guy down the street has to say. 

I do believe he is the one HC candidate currently being vetted league wide that is pretty much guaranteed one of the 7 slots. He may see himself as having considerably more leverage than most candidates in past years. I’m also guessing that he doesn’t have it too bad in his current situation as DC is SF.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Alentador31 said:

I know it is hard to believe but we are one of the best landing spots for a new head coach. 

If you have a plan that includes in-person interviews with a few finalists, you don't scrap that plan because you fall in love during the first in-person interview. That is called desperation.

I think this may be different pre-covid where all interviews were in person - but that isn't reality right now. 

It is not the popular choice, especially with the media yelling "if he's number one don't let him leave!" But I think you have to see the plan through without fear of losing out on someone. 

I applaud JD for sticking to the plan.

If this is the plan then I applaud him too.  But if JD conducts two or three other in-person interviews and then determines he wants Saleh, and Saleh has taken a job someplace else then that would be really unfortunate.

Just now, Joe Jets fan said:

JD picked his guy, the one every team wanted.   Got him to come in and spend the night.  One quick meeting with CJ to finalize and settle on compensation.   

CJ screwed it up

if I was JD I would quit.    Just walk away 

Maybe you've been lucky in your career and hit your dream company on day one but those of us who have been through many, many interviews knows that it just doesn't work this way.

• Upvote 3

It's not often that a coach gets the chance to be HC of an NFL franchise. If he liked the Jets job, he'd be foolish not to take it.  These jobs don't grow on trees.  And the Jets job, with Douglas and the draft picks and the cap space, is a good job right now.  He would get a 4-5 year contract worth between $30-40 milling. He'd be set for life financially and will have attained his lifetime goal.

If he walks away and then doesn't get another offer, he may never be in this position again.  He's not walking away because he has other interview commitments.  He's walking away because the deal wasn't closed one way or another.  The Jets did 8 interviews already and Saleh has interviewed with other teams already.  He spent parts of two days here.  Everybody in the NFL community thought he was signing here.  Something went wrong.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's not often that a coach gets the chance to be HC of an NFL franchise. If he liked the Jets job, he'd be foolish not to take it.  These jobs don't grow on trees.  And the Jets job, with Douglas and the draft picks and the cap space, is a good job right now.  He would get a 4-5 year contract worth between $30-40 milling. He'd be set for life financially and will have attained his lifetime goal.

If he walks away and then doesn't get another offer, he may never be in this position again.  He's not walking away because he has other interview commitments.  He's walking away because the deal wasn't closed one way or another.  The Jets did 8 interviews already and Saleh has interviewed with other teams already.  He spent parts of two days here.  Everybody in the NFL community thought he was signing here.  Something went wrong.  

Or he's walking away and taking the Jets' offer to mull it over for 12-24-36-48 hours whatever.

18 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Ok using last time around for context...

Still think this is a different situation because of the virtual interviews and Saleh being here two days, but maybe it will follow a similar pattern. 

I could be wrong but my impression of the 2 days thing is more so the timing of when he got to the facility rather than the interest they had in him.

That is not to say that they had any less interest in him as a candidate. Dont misunderstand.  What I am saying is he arrived at the facility around 8:30 at night I believe.. So a 2 hr interview with Douglas would put the time around 10:30.. so I would assume they opted to move the second portion of the meeting with ownership till today in order to let him get some sleep considering he had another interview scheduled for tonight in Philadelphia.. There also was no rush as he was going to be in this area anyway for that interview..

Here's my scenario:

Christopher (less dick, more) Johnson: "Robert what we would like to do is offe..".

(phone rings, Johnson flips it open and answers)

(meanwhile Saleh thinks "Dude has a flip phone? He's a billionaire)

CJ: Yes?

Joe Douglas (on phone) "Mr Johnson, Matt Campbell just called. He said he thinks he's interested"

CJ: "Yes"  (flips phone shut, and turns to Saleh)

CJ: "sorry, what I was saying was that we would like to offer you a token for the buss to the private terminal at Newark"

RS: "the <bleep> you say? A bus? And elephant ears on NFL is saying we are about to sign the deal. Your guy, said you love me"

CJ: (wrings hands, stares at the baby shampoo painting acoss the room

CJ" "well, yes I guess a cab is in order"

RS: (leaves shaking his head)

CJ Flips open phone and dials Woody (more dick, less) Johnson:

CJ "Woody, Campbell is interested"

WJ" " Great, but we are still paying Gase. Dont offer more than he makes now. Only 32 head coach jobs in NFL, that should be enough"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

So who do you guys want? Pederson or Schitty?  

that is where this is all headed

I would say Pederson if he they had a great re;relationship Philly.  Everyone says nice things but now there is an opening.  Lets see how they really feel.

• Upvote 1