Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

Dallas offense turded out for a while until Kellen Moore took over play calling. Daniel Jones also regressed badly under his watch. 

When you're already perceived to be one of the worst destinations for coaching talent in professional sports and you have the worst roster in the league and you blew a generational quarterback and the acting GM traded away all the talent crippling the season and said GM threw his head coach under the bus a few weeks ago, you take what you can get.

Firing Gase after the disgusting way he was treated by the fans and the media and his GM leads to getting a weak replacement.  You were warned of this months ago.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, prime21 said:

I would say Pederson if he they had a great re;relationship Philly.  Everyone says nice things but now there is an opening.  Lets see how they really feel.

I’d take Pederson too.  He was horrible last year but oh my God if we end up with Schotty I’m changing teams I can’t take this abject stupidity much longer 

Just now, Philc1 said:

They interviewed Saleh and Eberflus, neither one got the job

Woody and Chrissy are getting ready to S the bed again

You know, it's the name phil but you remind me of the character in Memphis Belle of the same name. All you youngins, go put it in your Netflix queue. Said by many former WWII bomber crews that it's the most accurate film ever made about those harrowing missions.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The way the Jets organization and the Jets fans treated Adam Gase, what do you expect?

He didn't get a chance from the beginning, the opening press conference, the twitchy fans and the bloodthirsty media out to get him, planes flying and billboards screaming for his head just 4 weeks into his coaching tenure, finished 6-2 and got no love, saw his front office get rid of the entire cover of the 2019 yearbook, have his expansion roster give 200% every game, and then had his GM throw him under the bus after winning 2 of his last 3.

Florham Park is NFL Siberia.  And that was before what the organization, media, and fans did to Gase.  Now?  Forget it.

SAR I

Not one person in planet earth gives a **** about how gase was treated. The dude was horrible. 

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Maybe you've been lucky in your career and hit your dream company on day one but those of us who have been through many, many interviews knows that it just doesn't work this way.

Well I did get my dream job after one interview.   
then I started a company and hired many people.   When I knew I had the right person I made sure I hired them right there and then.    So yes it works like that

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Well I did get my dream job after one interview.   
then I started a company and hired many people.   When I knew I had the right person I made sure I hired them right there and then.    So yes it works like that

Guess I nailed that one. Let me ask, do you tell candidates, "If you walk out of this room, the offer is off the table?"

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Yep and based on what football guy said here douglas wants him back.  

Tethering your career to the Johnsons and the Jets is risky enough. But to Sam Darnold? If that's the case, we're definitely getting Bieniemy.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Everything old becomes new again, I suppose. There should only be one uniform for the NYJs now and forevermore.

48 Joe Namath ideas | joe namath, joes, new york jets

I've been on that bandwagon for years.  Classic Jet home whites will never be outdone by anybody.  Same for that iconic helmet.  

But if they're making all teams do a throwback week?   I say use the 80s uniform/helmet not the friggin' Titans.  And the current one should be burned, then dumped into a decommissioned missile silo.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I've been on that bandwagon for years.  Classic Jet home Whites will never be outdone by anybody.  Same for that iconic helmet.  

But if they're making all teams do a throwback week?   I say use the 80s uniform/helmet not the friggin' Titans.  And the current one should be burned, then dumped into a decommissioned missile silo.

Agree on the current Flash Gordons. As far as which uniform for throw backs? I say the Jets pull a Belichick rule bend and have the same for both. After all, the classics would be both our current and throw back unis.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Brady really lit the league on fire last season

24th in points and 21st in Yards is not bad considering the best all around RB in the nfl only played in 3 games.  They had two 1000 yd WR's. When is the last time we had 1 of those??? They did a lot with an average QB and their best player on offense gone for 80% of the games.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'm not fighting for Gase anymore, but you have to admit he and his family were treated like dirt since the moment he got here and that does impact head coaching candidates like Saleh who are very highly sought after.  All the other teams have good quarterbacks, almost all have better cultures, almost all have better weather or lower taxes.

Garrett
Pederson
Lewis

I'd prefer Garrett because he actually developed superstar offensive players, sustained a Top 10 offense for a decade, and was beloved by his players all while being attacked by a vicious media and a meddling owner.  I think he's battle-tested.  Lives here too.

SAR I

I don't think Gase was treated like dirt from the minute he got here.  He did kickoff his entire tenure with one of the strangest press conferences in the team's history.  Then he had bad results.  It raised legitimate questions about whether he was a good HC given the situation he just left.  I thought he was treated fairly.  The Jets had a newspaper fire the reporter who was trashing their Head Coach, and it was a head coach they didn't really like.  If I'm an outside coaching candidate that's a positive to see.  Gase was treated more unfairly by the national media than he was by the Jets organization, by far.  The guy continued to lose and lose badly, and we saw several other coaches besides Gase fired mid-season.  The Jets stuck by him the entire way and gave him MORE time than they probably should have.  They even let him terminate his Def Coordinator with a few weeks left in the season.  They did Gase a solid IMO.  This was a 4 or 5 win capable team that won 2 games.

As for higher taxes, bad weather, etc. you need to remember that if a guy like Saleh came to NY/NJ he'd be coming to a MORE conservative, lesser taxed and better environment than he'd be leaving the Bay Area.  That's not political, it's factual.  And, he grew up in Michigan.  He has shoveled twice the amount of snow any New Yorker has, so Detroit isn't a better job for him.  The Chargers have a good young QB, the Jags can take Trevor (but have no GM and a meddling owner), the Texans have a good but disgruntled QB and no draft picks.  The Jets have the 3rd or 4th best QB situation.... optionality on Darnold and the opportunity to go QB at #2.  They also have a ton of Cap space and a respected GM.

The Jets are a decent spot and probably a more desirable option for HC candidates than most people think.  The Jets have been patient in the face of bad performance IMO with previous HC's, and none of them left here poor or disgruntled about what they were paid.  This is a better job now with JD here and a bunch of picks than it was with Macc and a bad Cap situation.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Jets like the guy, he is one of the finalists but as I speculated in another thread, Douglas is holding to a disciplined strategy of wanting to talk to his top candidates and is not going to panic and make a panic hire.  There are several good mandates.  For me as long as we get one of them I'll be happy enough. 

The jets are a desirable destination believe it or not.  A well respected GM, lots of draft capital, lots of cap space, a situation were the nxt coach and go with the existing Qb or start over.

Agree with this assessment.  They interviewed a number of coaches. Just because saleh was the first one called back doesn’t mean he’s the favorite.  Maybe he was the only available because daboll and bienniumy are in the playoffs. Or it could mean they’re talking the real green and want to see how the contract terms will come out.  The Johnsons do have a right to be satisfied with the amount of money they’re going to be laying out.