Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

Just now, Ghost420 said:

Yes gase is such a good coach he has been fired twice already. Spare me the bullsh*t. Rex Ryan sas worshipped because he brought the team to two back to back afc championship games.

With the sole exception of Bill Parcells who had a personal vendetta against the Patriots, no decent head coaching prospect has ever come to the New York Jets.  We always get bottom-tier guys and the next one sucks worse than the one before.

It's not about Gase.  It's about the Jets.  Firing him when we did was wrong.  He was not given a fair shot here and his owner cowed to the stupid fans and his GM threw him under the bus.  This is a toxic organization, poison to a coaching career.  These guys talk.  Todd Bowles and Adam Gase are respected members of a tight-knit coaching community.  Saleh knows what's-what.

Get ready for the desperate.  Whomever the bottom two coordinators are and whoever the bottom two ex-head coaches are.  Pray for Jason Garrett because you're going to get Marvin Lewis.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I could be wrong but my impression of the 2 days thing is more so the timing of when he got to the facility rather than the interest they had in him.

That is not to say that they had any less interest in him as a candidate. Dont misunderstand.  What I am saying is he arrived at the facility around 8:30 at night I believe.. So a 2 hr interview with Douglas would put the time around 10:30.. so I would assume they opted to move the second portion of the meeting with ownership till today in order to let him get some sleep considering he had another interview scheduled for tonight in Philadelphia.. There also was no rush as he was going to be in this area anyway for that interview..

It seems to be the plan is to come in at the end of day, go out to dinner, shoot the sh*t, talk some ball and the next day more discussions and then meet w/CJ. 

It's not about Gase.  It's about the Jets.
Look at it from the perspective of someone like Saleh, his wife, and his agent.  The Jets dealt Gase a terrible hand after he finished 6-2.  Douglas got rid of all the talent on the team and when the team couldn't win he stabbed his friend in the back and got him fired.  Gase was dragged through the mud, humiliated.  No other fanbase flies planes and buys billboards.  Wives and kids have to see that.  Wives and kids have to go to their jobs and their schools.  Agents are rated by their placements, what teams they can get interest from, how big the contracts are.
Add it all up, Florham Park is NFL Siberia.  The Jets job is the worst head coaching job in all of professional sports, I dare you to name one that's worse.  
Yet you think the top tier NFL head coaching candidates are going to show up for their first in-person interview and sign on the spot?  Wake up.  Smell coffee.
SAR I

These guys know what there signing up for. Very rarely a HC goes out on his own terms. It’s just part of the job.

Next, you bring up family: Then how should Macc’s family felt when Gase forced the Johnsons hand and had him fired. Performance aside, what he did to Macc, eventually Gase was fired as well (Thank God)

He finished 6-2 because he played several crumby teams down the stretch.

There are several pro organizations which are much worse of a destination to coach than the Jets.

The Johnsons actually let the loser Gase finish out the season is remarkable in of itself. I would have canned the loser 6 games into the season. Actually, I never would of hired him to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

With the sole exception of Bill Parcells who had a personal vendetta against the Patriots, no decent head coaching prospect has ever come to the New York Jets.  We always get bottom-tier guys and the next one sucks worse than the one before.

It's not about Gase.  It's about the Jets.  Firing him when we did was wrong.  He was not given a fair shot here and his owner cowed to the stupid fans and his GM threw him under the bus.  This is a toxic organization, poison to a coaching career.  These guys talk.  Todd Bowles and Adam Gase are respected members of a tight-knit coaching community.  Saleh knows what's-what.

Get ready for the desperate.  Whomever the bottom two coordinators are and whoever the bottom two ex-head coaches are.  Pray for Jason Garrett because you're going to get Marvin Lewis.

SAR I

I recall Parcells' Hall of Fame induction speech, he started out saying something to the effect that he was glad he worked for ownership that supported him because if you don't, it's all lost. Ownership is the big problem here and everyone sees it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

At least the next guy who gets stuck with Darnold won't get fired over it, probably.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

ESPN is reporting that Smith is the leading candidate for the Atlanta job. If  Smith is in New York currently, this means we still have a shot at Saleh 

Or it means that the word is out that the Jets are a nice warm up and leverage to get what you want from the teams with attractive head coaching opportunities.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

At least the next guy who gets stuck with Darnold won't get fired over it, probably.

True, but just look at the sh-t the new head coach has to step into immediately, like before the seat is warm:

Get rid of Darnold, get Fields, run the risk that Sam flourishes while Justin busts, watch the SOJF cancel culture in full swing, and that's the end of your career.

-or-

Keep Darnold, waste a year or two trying to whisper him, watch the SOJF cancel culture in full swing, and that's the end of your career.

We're in a worse spot to recruit a head coach than we were in 2018 so there is no reason to expect we'll get a head coach better than Gase.  Remember, the best we could do is Gase and that was when the league thought Darnold was a sure-thing.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Or it means that the word is out that the Jets are a nice warm up and leverage to get what you want from the teams with attractive head coaching opportunities.

SAR I

And you call other people SOJ and eeyores... pot meet kettle. Also Adam gase was objectively terrible. But ya you’re right Miami struggled getting a good coach who would turn them around after mistreating gase... oh wait. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

True, but just look at the sh-t the new head coach has to step into immediately, like before the seat is warm:

Get rid of Darnold, get Fields, run the risk that Sam flourishes while Justin busts, watch the SOJF cancel culture in full swing, and that's the end of your career.

-or-

Keep Darnold, waste a year or two trying to whisper him, watch the SOJF cancel culture in full swing, and that's the end of your career.

We're in a worse spot to recruit a head coach than we were in 2018 so there is no reason to expect we'll get a head coach better than Gase.  Remember, the best we could do is Gase and that was when the league thought Darnold was a sure-thing.

SAR I

Not apt at all. Jets shot themselves in the foot by adding more preconditions to the job than a life insurance policy. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bungaman said:

I can't believe there's 49 pages of comments on this.

You're just in time for the Smith-a-thon. From "I'm not sure" to "He's a good candidate" to "He's the best guy" to "No one else will do" to "OMG HE LEFT WITHOUT A CONTRACT JETS BLEW IT!"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

ESPN is reporting that Smith is the leading candidate for the Atlanta job. If  Smith is in New York currently, this means we still have a shot at Saleh 

I thought Brady was?

In the past 24 hours everyone was reporting Saleh was the leading Jets candidate 

Nobody knows anything. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, British Jet said:

I wonder if on a Falcons forum they’ve also got hysterical people saying Smith has been able to leave the facility without a deal after a second interview. 

"But if a guy walks out of the building without signing it's over!!!!!!!"

10 minutes ago, TheMo said:

And you call other people SOJ and eeyores... pot meet kettle. Also Adam gase was objectively terrible. But ya you’re right Miami struggled getting a good coach who would turn them around after mistreating gase... oh wait. 

The brothers Johnson gave a guy two years with one of the worst rosters in the NFL, why exactly is a hotshot coaching candidate coming here again?

Again - Gase is an awful HC and should have never been hired. The fact remains that he was and he got 32 games, half of those games with his backup QB.

7 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

The brothers Johnson gave a guy two years with one of the worst rosters in the NFL, why exactly is a hotshot coaching candidate coming here again?

Again - Gase is an awful HC and should have never been hired. The fact remains that he was and he got 32 games, half of those games with his backup QB.

One could argue that the worst HC in the NFL getting two years is a pretty good sign of job security lol

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

"But if a guy walks out of the building without signing it's over!!!!!!!"

For the Jets it is.  

Think about the head coaches we have attracted in the last 40 years with the sole exception of Bill Parcells and his AFCE vendetta:

Walt Michaels (internal promotion)
Joe Walton (internal promotion)
Bruce Coslet (coordinator)
Pete Carroll (internal promotion)
Rich Kotite (fired head coach)
Al Groh (internal promotion)
Herman Edwards (position coach)
Eric Mangini (coordinator)
Rex Ryan (coordinator)
Todd Bowles (coordinator)
Adam Gase (fired head coach)

That's 11 head coaches, not one of them better than the one we fired before him.  

Why would anyone think the Jets have a shot at a top candidate when we have never had one of those in our entire history?  It's a shame Belichick doesn't want to stick it to Kraft; it seems to be the only way we get a good head coach in here.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

For the Jets it is.  

Think about the head coaches we have attracted in the last 40 years with the sole exception of Bill Parcells and his AFCE vendetta:

Walt Michaels (internal promotion)
Joe Walton (internal promotion)
Bruce Coslet (coordinator)
Pete Carroll (internal promotion)
Rich Kotite (fired head coach)
Al Groh (internal promotion)
Herman Edwards (position coach)
Eric Mangini (coordinator)
Rex Ryan (coordinator)
Todd Bowles (coordinator)
Adam Gase (fired head coach)

That's 11 head coaches, not one of them better than the one we fired before him.  

Why would anyone think the Jets have a shot at a top candidate when we have never had one of those in our entire history?  It's a shame Belichick doesn't want to stick it to Kraft; it seems to be the only way we get a good head coach in here.

SAR I

You have a very interesting thought process. One day I'd like to take an Allen wrench and get in there and look around.

27 minutes ago, Grandy said:

It's good that we're doing our due diligence in interviewing these guys. This is a very impactful decision for our Franchise, rushing without doing all of the necessary homework isn't a good plan. 

They called themselves doing their due diligence when they hired Bowles and Mac.

6 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Given the context of his previous failures and his inability to use concepts that help struggling QBs (play action and motion), I think it made sense to fire him. 

His starting QB looked awful too. So it wasn’t as if he was done in by injuries only. Also the GM didn’t hire him.