Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

You will definitely need a sledge hammer to get into that coconut. 

Ever try to break open a rock with a bigger rock when you were a kid? You know how that always backfires and the bigger rock breaks first? That's what would happen to the sledgehammer in your scenario.

7 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Given the context of his previous failures and his inability to use concepts that help struggling QBs (play action and motion), I think it made sense to fire him. 

His starting QB looked awful too. So it wasn’t as if he was done in by injuries only. Also the GM didn’t hire him. 

In 5 years as an NFL Head Coach, Adam Gase teams have been outscored by 544 points.  There is only thing responsible for getting him fired.

HIMSELF

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

They called themselves doing their due diligence when they hired Bowles and Mac.

So? We shouldn't get as much info on candidates and sign the first guy that flies in because we hired bad people in the past? 

If people gave up on something because it didn't work a certain time, literally nothing would happen in humanity. Vetting and doing as much research into candidates isn't something that guarantees success, but you're more likely to find it than not doing that process at all.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Excellent.  One of the reasons I've been so high on Saleh.  A team hit with injuries, not going to the playoffs, still played hard and played well.  He coaches guys up!

Point is they weren't ranked as high as with Bosa etc.

Wasnt saying he cant coach

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's not often that a coach gets the chance to be HC of an NFL franchise. If he liked the Jets job, he'd be foolish not to take it.  These jobs don't grow on trees.  And the Jets job, with Douglas and the draft picks and the cap space, is a good job right now.  He would get a 4-5 year contract worth between $30-40 milling. He'd be set for life financially and will have attained his lifetime goal.

If he walks away and then doesn't get another offer, he may never be in this position again.  He's not walking away because he has other interview commitments.  He's walking away because the deal wasn't closed one way or another.  The Jets did 8 interviews already and Saleh has interviewed with other teams already.  He spent parts of two days here.  Everybody in the NFL community thought he was signing here.  Something went wrong.  

yup

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

THC-A level

My mother used to say it was 99.44% air.

Haha nice. Their other slogan was "so pure it floats!" Yeah well so do turds lol

Disclaimer: love Ivory, still use it. Best face soap around without all that shea butter, coconut extract, lavender oil garbage in it that causes Junior Prom face.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I hate PFT but this is pretty damn good point. 

The biggest boom or bust candidate is Brady and I'm hoping that's who they go with. I think he'll have the most creative and QB friendly offense. Hell, maybe we'll even have a 1000 yd WR next year. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

What Adam said in the press conference was perfectly fine, perfectly professional.  He has a medical condition with his eyes his whole career and because it looked funny on TV and because ESPN made it into a Buttfumble-moment, sensitive Mets fans overreacted to the water cooler teasing like they always do and hated the guy for it.

Either way, Gase finished 6-2 with a terrible Maccagnan roster, Douglas came in and got rid of all the talent there was, the entire draft class missed almost half a season to injuries, and the quarterback busted.  

To SOJF's, that's grounds for termination.  To the rest of the NFL coaching brotherhood, that's inconceivable, that's unfair, that's harassment and workplace bullying, they see one of their own set up to fail by a GM they don't know and don't trust and that's why no one good is going to come here until the other 6 great jobs are all filled.  Bowles and Gase were bottom-of-the barrel candidates and they didn't have a roster this bad. 

Watch what you wish for.

SAR I

You've convinced me!  Gase got a raw deal.

Any chance we hire Saleh and Gase comes back as OC?

:P

5 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I hate PFT but this is pretty damn good point. 

It's really not, it's a laughably awful attempt at confirmation bias.  All successful head coaches have assistants hired away, regardless of what side of the ball they've come from.

Dennis Allen isn't getting interviews because his run with the Raiders was an unmitigated disaster, not because of mysterious Payton voodoo.

For Zimmer, only 2 of those 5 OCs were actually hired away, so doesn't make anywhere close to the point this is allegedly trying to claim.

So it essentially comes down to Vrabel, who has been quite successful with the Titans, and the argument against him, and why you should supposedly go into hiring cutting out 50% of the candidates that fall in the same group as Vrabel, is because of it somehow being some sort of weird indictment with how well he's done at filling his coaching staff?  It's seriously the most ass-backwards logic imaginable.

Meanwhile, there's strangely no reference to Andy Reid, who has had coaches hired away from him left and right over the years, I'd suspect more than anyone else, but of course that just doesn't fit the narrative that teams wanting a HC's assistant is somehow a bad thing, so we better leave that out!

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You've convinced me!  Gase got a raw deal.  Any chance we hire Saleh and Gase comes back as OC?

:P

Gase is done here but the way he was treated surely was noticed by the NFL coaching fraternity.  Ownership, media, fans, his GM, this isn’t the way top candidates want to be treated, not so they have to. 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Thank gawwwwd. 

But seriously, you're the Jets, you know you can't be too choosy. It's a big risk to let everyone 'go through the process'. 

Park an ATM on his front lawn, let him choose his staff and be done with this sh*t. 

From what I’ve heard, it wasn’t just the Jets who wanted to explore all options.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

It’s going to be interesting to hear why he wasn’t hired today, I’m sure the story will break over the next few days. Aside from Saleh and Smith, Staley could have a 2nd interview. Once the first coach is hired, then the rest will fall into place.

Joe Douglas has said this is his first time going through a HC hiring process, and that he's expecting to learn a lot.  Perhaps he got very good advice that you don't necessarily marry the first girl who makes you ***.  It's a little nerve-racking to be sure, but pouncing on the first guy you interview face-to-face is just as risky as letting several second interview guys walk out the door.

In the end, if the Jets talk to other candidates and Saleh talks to other teams, then they come back to each other it's perfect.  Saleh will never wonder what other opportunities he may have missed and the Jets will know that they're selecting their best candidate, not just their first one.  It makes a happy marriage.

love you all work in progress GIF

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mogglez said:

From what I’ve heard, it wasn’t just the Jets who wanted to explore all options.

Well sh*t, money talks and bullsh*t walks. 

Make the contract nice enough that he's no longer curious about those other options. 

But yea, I get it. We're the Jets and if I were a coach, the San Diego and Jacksonville jobs are more attractive.

But if this dude ends up in Detroit...

• Upvote 1