Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

I mean....

If you go for a job interview and you love the first, love the terms, love everything about it, but still have 3-4 more interviews.... you're going to have the interviews, because what you loved from the first interview may become heightened, or the other roles might offer more.

Plus in such a publically open job such as NFL HC, he can use it to his advantage if he wants.

Yes, I'd like to have him signed, but if he's a Michigan native, he may want Detroit, but we may want Eberflus, we're not Douglass.

This. It feels like 80% of the posters on this thread have never been involved in an interview for a job. The NFL is such a weird industry where you request interviews with people already in employment and have them without the person even leaving their existing role.
Saleh has no obligation to just take a job because it is offered to him. We certainly do not need a Head Coach that snatches the job offer from the table and signs in without any consideration about what that does for his family, or without considering other options available to him. That sort of impulsiveness is not a strong trait for a "CEO-type Head Coach" responsible for the entire team.
It sounds like we have had productive conversations with him, shook hands, and said keep in touch. If Saleh wants the Jets job he will walk into the Eagles front office meetings with that in his mind. He will sit and listen to the Eagles and evaluate where he feels he can be more successful. 
If we are fortunate enough that he evaluates all his options equally, and chooses us, I'd be very happy with what the next few years could hold for the Jets.
Meanwhile, we are operating responsibly and continuing our conversations with other candidates, who may want the job more than Saleh, but offer something different.

Please stop with the logic

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, British Jet said:

This. It feels like 80% of the posters on this thread have never been involved in an interview for a job. The NFL is such a weird industry where you request interviews with people already in employment and have them without the person even leaving their existing role.

Saleh has no obligation to just take a job because it is offered to him. We certainly do not need a Head Coach that snatches the job offer from the table and signs in without any consideration about what that does for his family, or without considering other options available to him. That sort of impulsiveness is not a strong trait for a "CEO-type Head Coach" responsible for the entire team.

It sounds like we have had productive conversations with him, shook hands, and said keep in touch. If Saleh wants the Jets job he will walk into the Eagles front office meetings with that in his mind. He will sit and listen to the Eagles and evaluate where he feels he can be more successful. 

If we are fortunate enough that he evaluates all his options equally, and chooses us, I'd be very happy with what the next few years could hold for the Jets.

Meanwhile, we are operating responsibly and continuing our conversations with other candidates, who may want the job more than Saleh, but offer something different.

I agree with you .. but when there are only 4 openings on the planet things are a bit different.

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

In the beginning. Not the end. 
Having no repercussions/accountability is great in the beginning but then the losing comes and vet players start to realize the coaches don’t push them enough. 

Bet he still gets a really nice Christmas present from Mo Wilk, though.?

Hopefully  JD is not willing to die on a hill of making a Darnold the only future QB for the Jets.

Apparently, the Eagles are willing to die on the hill of Carson Wentz (and Howie Roseman) and that is the apparent chain any head coach must be tethered to in order to be offered the Eagles job. Doug Pederson spoke with Troy Aikman and Aikman said that the split with the Eagles basically came down to Wentz, and Pederson not feeling he was the qb for the team in the future. 

The Jets job SHOULD be more atractive than the Eagles jobs for that reason, and many others, as long as the Johnsons stay in the background.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hopefully the JD is not willing to die on a hill of making a Darnold the only future QB for the Jets.

Apparently, the Eagles are willing to die on the hill of Carson Wentz (and Howie Roseman) and that is the apparent chain any head coach must be tethered to in order to be offered the Eagles job. Doug Pederson spoke with Troy Aikman and Aikman said that the split with the Eagles basically came down to Wentz, and Pederson not feeling he was the qb for the team in the future. 

The Jets job SHOULD be more atractive than the Eagles jobs for that reason, and many others, as long as the Johnsons stay in the background.

This. There should be no predetermined conditions roster wise. Must work as a team. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I was told that there was an initial offer but as talks went down things changed, which is totally normal in negotiations.  I can’t stress that enough.  Once that happened both sides agreed that they should continue their respective processes because it was clear that they weren’t going to get it done today.  At the end of the day, these are negotiations.

Before Jetsbb jumped down my friggin throat today I was set to explain this but I got so angry that I just logged off for a couple of hours and took a nap.

OK

I KNOW what all this means if true. I dont even have to say WHY he left the building. Every other piece of info is meaningless now. We WILL be getting sloppy seconds

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Gase is done here but the way he was treated surely was noticed by the NFL coaching fraternity.  Ownership, media, fans, his GM, this isn’t the way top candidates want to be treated, not so they have to. 

SAR I

Yea, we did him so wrong... How many interviews does he have lined up for a HC gig in the NFL now ?

34 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hopefully  JD is not willing to die on a hill of making a Darnold the only future QB for the Jets.

At least with Pederson, he was there when they drafted wentz and has seen his entire career.  And he won the super bowl with foles.  He knows what the eagles need, he’s in that locker room.  With a new jets hc there is absolutely no ties to anything there.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

At least with Pederson, he was there when they drafted wentz and has seen his entire career.  And he won the super bowl with foles.  He knows what the eagles need, he’s in that locker room.  With a new jets hc there is absolutely no ties to anything there.

That is why, if the jets love a HC, they must be open to suggestion of what the QB spot looks like.

If they have 2 HCs they love, and those HCs feel differently on the qb position, they can pivot to the way they are leaning on the qb position.

This is all about getting the best candidate, but also the candidate that may align with some of your thoughts.

Bottom line of this, and this what jets fans have to hope in this process, is that it is JD's feel, and JD's feel alone. Let a football man make a football decision. 

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is why, if the jets love a HC, they must be open to suggestion of what the QB spot looks like.

If they have 2 HCs they love, and those HCs feel differently on the qb position, they can pivot to the way they are leaning on the qb position.

This is all about getting the best candidate, but also the candidate that may align with some of your thoughts.

Bottom line of this, and this what jets fans have to hope in this process, is that it is JD's fell, and JD's feel alone. Let a football man make a football decision. 

Very true, and thankfully the johnsons seem to be realizing this.  I think the johnsons thought they were so savvy the last time, they let gase fool them and they were obviously burned.  That said, i still don’t think any new HC will want to keep darnold.  I think wilson will be the guy ultimately, who seems perfectly tailored for a Shanahan offense.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Yea, we did him so wrong... How many interviews does he have lined up for a HC gig in the NFL now ?

I couldn't care less and that's not the point.  It's not about what became of Gase; it's about how the Jets front office, Jets fans, and Jets media treated him and how the NFL coaching fraternity perceives that treatment. 

He inherited a lousy Maccagnan roster prone to injury, saw fans fly planes and buy billboards calling for his firing after only 4 games without his starting quarterback, saw the NY media write non-stop hit pieces, miraculously figured out a way to finish 6-2, saw his new GM release or trade every decent playmaker, saw his new draft class out hurt for almost half the season, kept the worst roster in the league giving top effort, and figured out a way to win 2 of his last 3 games.  And then his GM stabbed him in the back and fired him.

That's not loyalty, and it flies in the face of everything Christopher Johnson has been selling since he took over 4 years ago.  If I'm a hot young NFL head coaching candidate, I don't want to report to the guy that got rid of all the good players and answer to the guy that fired someone put in a bad situation in 2019 only made worse in 2020.

SAR I

Gase was treated very well by management here: many other franchises he would have been fired mid-season. There were also no stories leaking of ownership/management being unhappy with him. I think the way he was treated will reflect very well on the Jets with prospective coaching candidates. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I couldn't care less and that's not the point.  It's not about what became of Gase; it's about how the Jets front office, Jets fans, and Jets media treated him and how the NFL coaching fraternity perceives that treatment. 

He inherited a lousy Maccagnan roster prone to injury, saw fans fly planes and buy billboards calling for his firing after only 4 games without his starting quarterback, saw the NY media write non-stop hit pieces, miraculously figured out a way to finish 6-2, saw his new GM release or trade every decent playmaker, saw his new draft class out hurt for almost half the season, kept the worst roster in the league giving top effort, and figured out a way to win 2 of his last 3 games.  And then his GM stabbed him in the back and fired him.

That's not loyalty, and it flies in the face of everything Christopher Johnson has been selling since he took over 4 years ago.  If I'm a hot young NFL head coaching candidate, I don't want to report to the guy that got rid of all the good players and answer to the guy that fired someone put in a bad situation in 2019 only made worse in 2020.

SAR I

You'd have a better leg to stand on if this was Gase's first head coaching gig.

He's been fired twice in 3 years. If anything the NFL fraternity is perplexed how he was a hired immediately when so many other more worthy candidates did not get a 1st shot.

Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

Every coach in the world knows that the feelings of fans and media is a given in the NFL. If they do not have the stomach for it, they are in the wrong profession. And to one bit of Gase's credit, he handled it well.

Your silly insinuation that the front office somehow did Gase wrong is entirely ridiculous. What did Gase in was his record. And he earned all of that himself. His offense was unimaginative and predictable. He had a qb regress under his watch. If there is shame in this process, it is on the Johnsons for falling for his allure, whatever that may have been.

You keep claiming on this site that you are entitled to your opinion, which of course you are. But when you manage to pollute this board with that opinion for over 8 weeks, and in doing so calling everyone else that calls you out on how wrong your take is, and THEN your take is WRONG, well, you just appear plain trollish and ignorant.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Even if we say all of the above is true - it does not answer the fact that one of Gase's biggest flaws is he can't communicate. Listen to his press conferences after a game and you just wonder how is this guy the head coach? He seems so focused on one aspect but I am not sure he realized his responsibility is to manage/coach the team.

I remember a press conference he had in Miami where there was a question regarding Tannehill and his answer was I don't know what is up with that guy - you will have to go ask him. Your the head coach, you have to know.

Listen to Joe Judge speak and then listen to Adam Gase - tell me just based on that who you would want coaching your team. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

Even if we say all of the above is true - it does not answer the fact that one of Gase's biggest flaws is he can't communicate. Listen to his press conferences after a game and you just wonder how is this guy the head coach? He seems so focused on one aspect but I am not sure he realized his responsibility is to manage/coach the team.

I remember a press conference he had in Miami where there was a question regarding Tannehill and his answer was I don't know what is up with that guy - you will have to go ask him. Your the head coach, you have to know.

Listen to Joe Judge speak and then listen to Adam Gase - tell me just based on that who you would want coaching your team. 

Even talking about Gase is so yesterday and so SAR. It is over.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

24 minutes ago, PLO said:

Gase was treated very well by management here: many other franchises he would have been fired mid-season. There were also no stories leaking of ownership/management being unhappy with him. I think the way he was treated will reflect very well on the Jets with prospective coaching candidates. 

Management put him in an awful rebuild situation, admitted they kept the bad GM too long, brought in a new GM who immediately got rid of all his playmakers, saw that they blew the QB pick in 2018, and cut Gase loose because he couldn't win with a .

But that's just the management side.  The NY media is awful to the Jets, its a multi-million dollar industry of rag merchants writing hit pieces and nobody bloggers posting "Fire Xxxx!" YouTube videos. 

And the NYJ fans, well, we know far too well what they are capable of.  The Jets lose Darnold Week 1.  The Jets lose his back up Week 2.  And planes are flying and billboards are up Week 4.  It's ludicrous.  If I'm a coveted candidate like Salah or Smith, better to be in San Diego where the roster is significantly better, the GM isn't a meek scout, and the fans and the media aren't total assh---s.

SAR I

26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Your silly insinuation that the front office somehow did Gase wrong is entirely ridiculous. What did Gase in was his record. And he earned all of that himself. His offense was unimaginative and predictable. He had a qb regress under his watch. If there is shame in this process, it is on the Johnsons for falling for his allure, whatever that may have been.

ff_3632609-ec0f3261c2fe66d1d0aaalt1_full

I'm just going to leave this here.  

SAR I

20 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I can confirm all of @Mogglez info in here as I have heard the same basically after reading through all my stuff from last night (i admittedly go to bed early and my guys text me late).  I think Saleh is very in play, as is Smith... I get the sense from people I've talked about that I can go either way as both guys are similar but offer different pros. I think it seems like Smith will take more second round interviews so whether the jets continue interviewing or start hard negotiations with one or both candidates I do not know. 

I say this next piece now not as what i have heard directly but more so reading the tea leaves on the situation based on things that have been said.  Saleh I get the sense they think will be a really good fit personality wise for the city and the team, on top of being what they think will be a really good HC and all the positives that go with his coaching prowess. 

The same I think goes for Smith, however I think his personality doesnt play the way Salehs does here.  What Smith has over Saleh though makes things interesting.  @football guy brought this up in another thread and I thought it made an excellent point.  Both guys are gunning for the same OC candidates, so offensively to start their plans are the same.  The issue later becomes when those guys are hired away from the staff Saleh has to start over, while Smith at least can keep continuity by calling the plays himself unless he finds a coordinator he loves to replace them.  

So reading the tea leaves here, it becomes a really interesting decision.  If both candidates are equal in your eyes do you go with the guy that has the charisma and energy that can spark the team and the city, or do you go with the guy that maybe can bring more stability offensively because he can call plays?  I'm not sure thats what it boils down to but thats where my head has been during this whole situation. 

For me this team needs Saleh for the reason you mentioned. 

I’m not as well versed in Smith’s resume but Saleh to me would help bring an identity to the team and that most important. That is something we haven’t had for years other than “hot garbage”

also when it comes to players in Free Agency, I feel like he could attract them more and although we have a good amount of cap room, so do some other teams that need a lot of help. If the deals are similar, he might be able to give us the tiebreaker. 

that’s not to diminish the potential issue down the line with an OC leaving, but if you have faith in the system and the coach creating a pipeline then you need to do just that. 

if you don’t have the faith in him, then You should know he isn’t your answer. 

• Upvote 4