Joe Jets fan

Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

6 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Money is not the top motivator for some people.  Saleh is a guy who left a lucrative financial career to start at the very bottom rung of a coaching career that he realized was his heart’s desire.  There are some things that the Johnsons’ money can’t change - like Saleh’s desire to coach his hometown team and be near his family (with the Lions) or to go to a team he’s familiar with that has draft and cap room assets that are slightly better than ours (Jaguars).  Based on what we’ve heard from our JetNation “insiders”, it sounds like this may be what’s happening with Saleh.

It’s not at all clear at this point that Saleh is the Lions’ top choice, so if the Jags do close the Meyer deal, it seems like Saleh could find his way back here.  Then, the money may become more of a factor.

If the NY Jets wanted him and can't beat out Jacksonville and Detroit they are completely incompetent.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, rayzor said:

supposedly, the GM (Ed Dodds)  Saleh wanted to work with will not be hired in Detroit.  

Lions hired former Rams director of college scouting Brad Holmes as general manager.

Detroit had also interviewed Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds before moving forward with the first (and primary) candidate on its list. The Rams will also become the first team to receive two third-round compensatory draft picks for Bradley as part of the NFL's new hiring initiatives. The two sides are reportedly finalizing a five-year deal after Holmes had been in his former position in Los Angeles for eight seasons. Holmes was also a finalist for Atlanta's GM role, setting the stage for Saints assistant GM Terry Fontenot to land there once New Orleans' postseason run comes to an end.

Jan 14, 2021, 11:17 AM ET
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Lions hired Brad Holmes, Director of Scouting from the Rams.  That coul dmake Staley a frontrunner in Detroit, which would leave it to us or the Eagles for Saleh.

If it's between the Jets or Eagles for Saleh, you would think the Jets would be by far the most attractive option given the #2 pick and draft picks over the next couple of years, plenty of cap space, a well respected GM amongst NFL circles, ability to pick own staff, etc. 

8 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Money is not the top motivator for some people.  Saleh is a guy who left a lucrative financial career to start at the very bottom rung of a coaching career that he realized was his heart’s desire.  There are some things that the Johnsons’ money can’t change - like Saleh’s desire to coach his hometown team and be near his family (with the Lions) or to go to a team he’s familiar with that has draft and cap room assets that are slightly better than ours (Jaguars).  Based on what we’ve heard from our JetNation “insiders”, it sounds like this may be what’s happening with Saleh.

I agree.  You hear it all the time on this site.  As if we dropped the ball because we miss out on a FA, or in this case a Coach.  Typical response is Johnsons are too cheap.  Its not always about the money.  Yes, there are some people out there who will take the best offer, but others have different motivations. 

Still hoping this will get done with us, but if Saleh goes elsewhere, it could be that we screwed up in the process, or it could be that we did everything right and he felt another opportunity was a better fit.

• Upvote 1

I really do not understand the love for Saleh.

Why would anyone want a coach whose defense got lit up by 2 of the Jets AFC East foes?

Ryan Fitzpatrick vs Saleh: 350 Yards, 3 TD, 0 INT

Josh Allen vs Saleh: 375 Yards, 4 TD, 0 INT

You want to see that for 4 games every year?

3 minutes ago, Facts said:

Why would anyone want a coach whose defense got lit up by 2 of the Jets AFC East foes?

You can nitpick this for pretty much any potential coach, lol. If so, nobody would ever get hired. You look at the body of work, not just a game or 2.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Lions hired former Rams director of college scouting Brad Holmes as general manager.

Detroit had also interviewed Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds before moving forward with the first (and primary) candidate on its list. The Rams will also become the first team to receive two third-round compensatory draft picks for Bradley as part of the NFL's new hiring initiatives. The two sides are reportedly finalizing a five-year deal after Holmes had been in his former position in Los Angeles for eight seasons. Holmes was also a finalist for Atlanta's GM role, setting the stage for Saints assistant GM Terry Fontenot to land there once New Orleans' postseason run comes to an end.

Jan 14, 2021, 11:17 AM ET

VOMIT 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Excuse SAR. He is just getting his Halloween candy, as he is living in October.

That's actually exciting! Are we 5-0 now?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

You can nitpick this for pretty much any potential coach, lol. If so, nobody would ever get hired. You look at the body of work, not just a game or 2.

I would think the games against your divisional foes would be weighted a bit heavier.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

"Everyone" who thought Gase should go would be the clickbait media and some Jets fans.  Anyone in the coaching fraternity could see that no one could win with the roster provided and in such injured condition.  If you don't think 50 years of awful head coaching choices and NY media and fan mistreatment doesn't reflect badly on this organization as an employer and developer of young coaching talent, I don't know what to tell you.  The Jets have never, ever, gotten a top coordinator to come here and that trend isn't going to change now.

SAR I

When Parcells was the coach the Jets had one of the best staff's in the NFL if not the best. If Parcells did not always see the next shiny object and stayed here we might have won a championship. 

No one is disputing the fact our roster stunk for most of the year but that does not excuse some of the real boneheaded decisions Gase made either when it came to game management. Only the Jets know how Gase handled things on the inside and I'm sure that played a part as well.

Also FWIW  you had this "so called" terrible line-up going 5-0 to start the season 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Facts said:

I don't understand it either but not because Allen and Fitzpatrick lit them up.  He has a thin resume.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Excuse SAR. He is just getting his Halloween candy, as he is living in October.

OMG so when can we expect the Sugar Rush of posts to begin :)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

If it's between the Jets or Eagles for Saleh, you would think the Jets would be by far the most attractive option given the #2 pick and draft picks over the next couple of years, plenty of cap space, a well respected GM amongst NFL circles, ability to pick own staff, etc. 

There's a huge advantage to coaching in the NFC East over the AFC East. Miami and Buffalo are on the rise and the Pats still have Belichick. In the other, you're a division champ at 6-7 wins.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I don't understand it either but not because Allen and Fitzpatrick lit them up.  He has a thin resume.

The Jets made it clear they are looking for a CEO type coach that can lead men its obvious he can do that by how his current team reacts to him. Thats what makes him a solid candidate the Jets are looking more for personality not just X's and O's ...Just so happens all the guys we have seen interviewed are good game planners as well as being able to rally the troops

39 minutes ago, rayzor said:

supposedly, the GM (Ed Dodds)  Saleh wanted to work with will not be hired in Detroit.  

Just waking up lol.

Seeing Marvin Lewis, Brandon Staley, and Dan Campbell being linked to Detroit by their local media now with this hire.

20 minutes ago, Facts said:

Because we're hiring a HC and not a DC? 

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The Jets made it clear they are looking for a CEO type coach that can lead men its obvious he can do that by how his current team reacts to him. Thats what makes him a solid candidate the Jets are looking more for personality not just X's and O's ...Just so happens all the guys we have seen interviewed are good game planners as well as being able to rally the troops

If it was obvious we wouldn't be looking for another HC.  It was obvious he would have been a HC last year.  Nothing is obvious, these are judgements that are made and in the Jets case there is almost no evidence that they have good judgement and there is very little evidence that Saleh will be a good HC.

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

so two final interviews.

now they decide between the two.

and if they have their guy, go get him and pay the guy and let's move the **** on.

Or they bring in a Brady

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Jets job is a lot more desirable than the Texans one, Eagles one and probably even the Lions one. 

There are a million factors that make a job desirable.  Woody Johnson being my boss wouldn't be one of them.  

33 minutes ago, Lith said:

Typical response is Johnsons are too cheap.  Its not always about the money.  

Everything is always about the money 

Especially in New York 

The Johnsons are known for discount shipping at head coach 

Why are we so surprised? 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Everything is always about the money 

Especially in New York 

The Johnsons are known for discount shipping at head coach 

Why are we so surprised? 

So, if Robert Saleh, who grew up in Michigan and went to college in Michigan, decides that he prefers coaching in MIchigan with the Lions, it is about the money.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Facts said:

I would think the games against your divisional foes would be weighted a bit heavier.

That was one of the justifications for hiring Gaze.  Remember?  I think Gaze had 3 wins in 3 years against the evil Bellicheat.

at this point, we don't know who our "first choice" is, frankly.

and at this point, we may end up with our "second, third or fourth" choice...we literally don't know which way this is headed.

No one does.

JD doesn't.

The Chargers getting Saleh wouldn't shock me. When all said & done Daboll could be the Jets guy. Which I would be totally fine with. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

So, if Robert Saleh, who grew up in Michigan, went totcollege in Michigan, decides that he prefers coaching in MIchigan with the Lions, it is about the money.  

Hey maybe I'm wrong maybe the Johnsons are just idiots not cheap 

Saleh to det is a fit but if he goes to Philly or LAC yes it was about the money. 

Let's be real. Adam gase was the cheapest excuse for a coach they could find. Jeremy bates was paid in beef jerky 

They haven't paid for a coach since ever. 

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

So, if Robert Saleh, who grew up in Michigan, went totcollege in Michigan, decides that he prefers coaching in MIchigan with the Lions, it is about the money.  

Yes.  He doesn't want his children there, at least I wouldn't.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Every coach being considered for a HC job right now has a thin NFL resume (including Meyer)  other than Lewis and I want no part of him.  17 years with  a few playoff appearances and zero playoff wins is not what I want to sign up for here. We've been down that road from 2001-2010.  Brady, Smith, Saleh, Staley, Daboll..... It's going to be a leap of faith.  That's why I preferred Harbaugh and would have offered him a ton of money before he re-upped with Mighigan.  He has proven NFL success.  Of the list of who remains, I prefer Saleh at this point based purely on what I have read and my preference for the Shannahan coaching tree.  Brady has proven nothing and is a blank page.  I do not think what Smith built in Tennessee (ground and pound with a retread QB who is merely good) wins titles in the NFL.  Staley is unproven and the shine is off the McVay tree right now. Daboll had 4 months of success preceded by a few years of mediocrity and comes from the Bellichick tree, which is basically barren.  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Biggs said:

So no one should want Staley because the Rams couldn't beat the Jets?    The Jets are ruining people's futures!

The body of work shows that is resume is good enough to be a HC somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

so of no fault of the Jets, this is a cluster ****

and we have no idea who the top candidates are

ugghhh,.. it's a PROCESS... please remain calm  😎

Every coach being considered for a HC job right now has a thin NFL resume (including Meyer)  other than Lewis and I want no part of him.  17 years with  a few playoff appearances and zero playoff wins is not what I want to sign up for here. We've been down that road from 2001-2010.  Brady, Smith, Saleh, Staley, Daboll..... It's going to be a leap of faith.  That's why I preferred Harbaugh and would have offered him a ton of money before he re-upped with Mighigan.  He has proven NFL success.  Of the list of who remains, I prefer Saleh at this point based purely on what I have read and my preference for the Shannahan coaching tree.  Brady has proven nothing and is a blank page.  I do not think what Smith built in Tennessee (ground and pound with a retread QB who is merely good) wins titles in the NFL.  Staley is unproven and the shine is off the McVay tree right now. Daboll had 4 months of success preceded by a few years of mediocrity and comes from the Bellichick tree, which is basically barren.  

The SF offense is run based and they should have won the SB

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

13 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Becoming a Jets fan was a leap of faith.  Faith is highly over rated.  

• Upvote 1