Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

There may be a personal element here.  

Pederson could basically keep the same house and coach the Jets.

Saleh may like California and prefer the Chargers.  He has younger children, I believe.  Saleh may also find California more socially desirable.  

Just based on my gut and what I would do if I were these coaches, I can see an Arthur Smith going to Atlanta, Saleh to the Chargers and the Jets ending up with Pederson or Daboll.  I can see Daboll being another Bowles or Gase.  The Jets need a leadership reboot.  Pederson for 3-4 years could have that kind of effect working with JD.

Bienemy needs a reboot.  Reid is trying to help him, but I think the smart market wants to see him actually call the plays well before making him an HC.  

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Joe Douglas is a fine scout and someone who looks like he knows what he's doing behind the scenes.  But Douglas' press conferences the day after Gase was fired were very concerning.  No eye contact, looking down, looking uncomfortable, saying things that meant nothing, it wasn't pretty.

i didn't see it but what you describe sounds like a belichick press conference

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

i didn't see it but what you describe sounds like a belichick press conference

No, it's not like that.  It's like someone with sleep apnea who is afraid of the media giving him the Gase treatment.

Nothing qualifies Joe Douglas to make the coaching decision for the Jets.  He's had a fine NFL upbringing, but he needs 10 years as a GM to differentiate the right head coach from the wrong one.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Fans see what they want to see.  They wanted to see Gase as some maniacal loser and they want to see Douglas as some strong willed winner.

Joe Douglas is a fine scout and someone who looks like he knows what he's doing behind the scenes.  But Douglas' press conferences the day after Gase was fired were very concerning.  No eye contact, looking down, looking uncomfortable, saying things that meant nothing, it wasn't pretty.

My point is that we may not hire an Alpha head coach because Douglas is scared of that.  Quiet guys like Smith concern me.  Maccagnan + Bowles 2.0.

SAR I

Not maniacal.  Just a loser.  A loser in Miami.  A loser ultimately in NHY.  

And thats exactly as Douglas is viewed.  His actions say theres a good chance this is what he is.  Sorry he smacked the shlt out of your guy, but he did.  

So we've hit on the new schtick, the new routine.  Dump on Douglas.  How many post now, hes not the alpha male.  

If Smith concerns you, I say sign him immediately 

• Upvote 1

Just now, varjet said:

There may be a personal element here.  

Pederson could basically keep the same house and coach the Jets.

Saleh may like California and prefer the Chargers.  He has younger children, I believe.  Saleh may also find California more socially desirable.  

Just based on my gut and what I would do if I were these coaches, I can see an Arthur Smith going to Atlanta, Saleh to the Chargers and the Jets ending up with Pederson or Daboll.  I can see Daboll being another Bowles or Gase.  The Jets need a leadership reboot.  Pederson for 3-4 years could have that kind of effect working with JD.

Bienemy needs a reboot.  Reid is trying to help him, but I think the smart market wants to see him actually call the plays well before making him an HC.  

I definitely want someone with prior HC experience that has been successful.  Tired of these coordinators who think they want to be a head coach.  I would be fine with Pederson.  Can't be any worse than Gase.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's funny really.  Everyone looks at Gase's eyes and judges him immediately yet when you look at Douglas' eyes you can't admit what you see-  someone in over his head, suddenly thrust into the hot seat, wishing he was the behind-the-scenes guy where its safe and warm.

SAR I

I never judged Gase on how he looked.

What he said was far more alarming.

And what he did was worse.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And thats exactly as Douglas is viewed.  His actions say theres a good chance this is what he is.  Sorry he smacked the shlt out of your guy, but he did.  

So we've hit on the new schtick, the new routine.  Dump on Douglas.  How many post now, hes not the alpha male.  

I'm not dumping on Douglas, but I am flummoxed by the blind faith so many of you have put in this guy.  What exactly has he done?  We just went 2-14 on his watch with the roster he depleted and did not replenish.

Said it before, I'll say it again, a coaching change isn't what this franchise needs.  And it's not a culture change either.  We need players.  Lots of them.  Douglas took us backwards this year, not forwards.  2-14.  That ain't good.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

@Jet Nut 

I know its hard and I fail at times and have to respond to his/her drivel. 

But ignore him buddy he exists because we comment back and give him more to feed off of. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Fans see what they want to see.  They wanted to see Gase as some maniacal loser and they want to see Douglas as some strong willed winner.

My point is that we may not hire an Alpha head coach because Douglas is scared of that.  Quiet guys like Smith concern me.  Maccagnan + Bowles 2.0.

SAR I

Apparently, no mirrors in your house.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's funny really.  Everyone looks at Gase's eyes and judges him immediately yet when you look at Douglas' eyes you can't admit what you see-  someone in over his head, suddenly thrust into the hot seat, wishing he was the behind-the-scenes guy where its safe and warm.

SAR I

Wrong (as usual).

What I see is a blue collar guy who is an ex-college lineman that has been behind the scenes during his career adjusting to being front and center with cameras and microphones in front him. He's learning to use and choose his words carefully when dealing with some of the a@@holes in the media who he probably wants to tell to go f-off or punch in the face when they ask dumb a@@ questions.

Big difference.

• Upvote 1

Money isn’t a factor. Due to no in person first interviews, this process is obviously different than other years. Multiple candidates are doing “second” interviews (which are really first face to face) which is important. But for the Saleh crowd we better worry now because the Charger job is great. High pick, Herbert and a good D.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bitonti said:

That's not the way I see it 

The Jets had 65 million dollars in cap space last year 

They signed George Fant 

I agree with you that Fant was a weak signing when we were linked to Conklin for the prior couple weeks. But if that one was just about dollars then they'd have never ponied up $9MM/year for a 1-yr stopgap. I do think he picked Fant over Conklin as a LT/RT hedge (and was against such a hedge) because he viewed Conklin as a RT only. He picked 11th and didn't know which tackle he was going to get (there were even some who predicted 3 or even 4 off the board by our pick at #11); plus no guarantee the rookie he drafted would fit in at LT as a rookie. 

IMO he even hedged on his temporary fill-in hedge, like trying to get a little bit pregnant. Who was thinking George Fant at $9MM/year until we signed him? Certainly not all the people googling his name after the announcement lol. 

u snooze u lose

I am not saying Saleh should be the hire but the jets if they wanted him screwed up by not offering him the job -he will end up the chargers coach now-a better qb and a better roster all the way around 

jets are amateur hour always no matter who runs it

you know pederson is going to be the coach and then I go from not renewing my psls to not even watching on tv

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's not the way I see it 

The Jets had 65 million dollars in cap space last year 

They signed George Fant 

And I'll say it again, youre wrong.  They've spent money in years past.  We all know what Douglas was doing with the cap.  

And Fant.  

We pay a fortune for Mosey, a fortune for Bell, we're stupid.  We dont pay a fortune for Conklin whoever, we're now cheap. 

• Upvote 1

joe fan boys will cheer who ever he picks but I have zero faith in him-he made our roster much worse in his brief time here -that is a fact-you can say all part of some big  plan but so far he is the captain of the second worst team in all of football and the team is now much worse then when he got here

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And I'll say it again, youre wrong.  They've spent money in years past.  We all know what Douglas was doing with the cap.  

And Fant.  

joe has lots of money to spend and lots of picks

he better not screw up like he did this past year

one draft pick proved to be a good player-the others all sucked no matter what excuses u make-even worse some didnt even take the field

his FA players were awful

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

joe fan boys will cheer who ever he picks but I have zero faith in him-he made our roster much worse in his brief time here -that is a fact-you can say all part of some big  plan but so far he is the captain of the second worst team in all of football and the team is now much worse then when he got here

Newsflash, this team was beyond a mess before he got here. If you expected instant success overnight, that's your issue lol.

And we'd be lucky to have Pederson as the coach here. Sadly, probably won't happen since he's taking at least a year off it looks like.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

joe has lots of money to spend and lots of picks

he better not screw up like he did this past year

one draft pick proved to be a good player-the others all sucked no matter what excuses u make-even worse some didnt even take the field

his FA players were awful

Some were, others weren't.  The overall groups was kind of lame, agreed.  I dont think he went for it though, was gearing up for this offseason

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

If Pederson really got kicked out of Philadeliphia because he wanted to play Hurts and Roseman and Lurie wanted Wentz, he's not coming here unless Douglas is going to let him get rid of Darnold.

Mostly Pederson left Philly because Lurie wanted to hire his assistant coaches.   The QB choice was also an issue.

I really don't see getting rid of Darnold as a negative.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

..what happened to..  " ..Again, I'm not talking about Gase nor do I want to.  That ship has sailed.  "  ? ? 

?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I tend to agree with this with one caveat.  It is possible he really did haver a bigger master plan...But if that's the case then all this keeping Sam talk is all BS.   Because if he had any faith in Sam and he basically built the worst roster in football while trying to win the Jets are in a lot of trouble with him.

Now, if he had already given up on Sam and just used this season to fully clean house, I can respect that. 

The more I hear him speak the more I think he simply just did an awful job this past off-season.  I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

He would.

Douglas isn't an Alpha.  He's a pencil pushing scout, a smart nerd.  If he gets a coordinator, Douglas has seniority and an upper hand.  If he gets an experienced head coach, that person will be the Alpha.  And, frankly, from what I've seen of Douglas, I'd prefer that.  He has an eye for player talent.  That's all I want from Douglas.  I want the head coach to be the animal.

Watch this video.  Some forget how awesome Pederson is, who he's worked for, who his mentors were, and who he developed.  Getting him would be an amazing coup.

SAR I

Except some nerds are also alphas (Young Sheldon)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

There's a financial argument re: Philly.  But, if you're taking your first HC job, it's probably financially prudent in the long term to hitch your wagon to Justin Herbert rather than Sam Darnold.

or the number 2 pick to have your choice of QB's and 6 other picks in the first 3 rounds along with great cap space to sign FA's . Yes Herbert has proven something Darnold never could but I don't think Darnold will be the guy and neither do you. At least we are hoping he's not the guy.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

He would.

Douglas isn't an Alpha.  He's a pencil pushing scout, a smart nerd.  If he gets a coordinator, Douglas has seniority and an upper hand.  If he gets an experienced head coach, that person will be the Alpha.  And, frankly, from what I've seen of Douglas, I'd prefer that.  He has an eye for player talent.  That's all I want from Douglas.  I want the head coach to be the animal.

Watch this video.  Some forget how awesome Pederson is, who he's worked for, who his mentors were, and who he developed.  Getting him would be an amazing coup.

SAR I

A lot of us would want Pederson including me but there's only one small problem ....He said he wants the year off. If he and Douglas are friends like we've been told or heard (lol) then I'm 100% sure they talked at some point. The fact pederson is not here on an interview or any other interview should make that clear

20 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

or the number 2 pick to have your choice of QB's and 6 other picks in the first 3 rounds along with great cap space to sign FA's . Yes Herbert has proven something Darnold never could but I don't think Darnold will be the guy and neither do you. At least we are hoping he's not the guy.

Actually, I do think Darnold will be the guy, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Truth.  He'd better have one hell of an offseason.

SAR I

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Newsflash, this team was beyond a mess before he got here. If you expected instant success overnight, that's your issue lol.

Certainly, but Douglas is here 2 years and made our roster worse than Maccagnan had it.

That's hard to fathom.  But its true.  Douglas has proven that he's good at dismantling a bad roster and making it worse.  His draft feels good but the jury is still out about his ability to court free agents.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2