Jump to content

Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

No, it's not like that.  It's like someone with sleep apnea who is afraid of the media giving him the Gase treatment.

Nothing qualifies Joe Douglas to make the coaching decision for the Jets.  He's had a fine NFL upbringing, but he needs 10 years as a GM to differentiate the right head coach from the wrong one.

SAR I

 

huh?

so your position is that no GM can hire a head coach without 10 years experience.  or does this criteria only apply to GM's who fire adam gase???

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s because the “other guy in the room” was Maccagnan.  So CJ did know more than the other guy.  

Don’t fear being wrong. You took a swing based on legitimate info; and apparently it’s what is being heard around the league. Kudos to you, regardless of what happens. 

According to Ian Rapoport and Peter Schrager, Saleh arrived last night and met with some of the people from the Jets organization and is now meeting with Christopher Johnson this morning.  He wil

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I'm not dumping on Douglas, but I am flummoxed by the blind faith so many of you have put in this guy.  What exactly has he done?  We just went 2-14 on his watch with the roster he depleted and did not replenish.

Said it before, I'll say it again, a coaching change isn't what this franchise needs.  And it's not a culture change either.  We need players.  Lots of them.  Douglas took us backwards this year, not forwards.  2-14.  That ain't good.

SAR I

took a long time but found something we agree on

the sad thing is I watched this movie before with mac and izadick. I had to hear from some that you build championship teams by drafting back to back defensive backs at the top of your draft

joe may prove to be a good or even great gm so far I give him a  F

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

huh?

so your position is that no GM can hire a head coach without 10 years experience.  or does this criteria only apply to GM's who fire adam gase???

Nothing to do with the prior head coach as Douglas had nothing to do with his hiring.

Joe Douglas is a young scout who we offered a very big contract to because he didn't want to come here.  He took the money.  And now he is in a complicated situation with a team he is trying to slowly rebuild and an owner and fanbase impatient for a winner.  I feel bad for the situation he's been put in and don't entirely trust his judgement.  Let's see how he does.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Certainly, but Douglas is here 2 years and made our roster worse than Maccagnan had it.

That's hard to fathom.  But its true.  Douglas has proven that he's good at dismantling a bad roster and making it worse.  His draft feels good but the jury is still out about his ability to court free agents.

SAR I

drives me crazy when folks say making the jets worse was his plan-it was not

-Joe , gase and the  players all tried to win every game-they did not tank-they just sucked at their jobs across the board-

the entire  year I heard it was to get trevor but we saw what any rationale person knew-no players are going to lose on purpose and neither is a coach-the jets tried and to their credit if you wish they got the wins at the end

Joe's resume so far is 

took a decent roster that was a 6-8 win team and made them  a 2-3 win type of team-this is a fact

we lost talent and replaced them with worse talent-this is a fact

his draft-one player produced becton-the  rest are all hopes and dreams for the future but poor on the field results or even worse never making it to the field

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kmnj said:

took a long time but found something we agree on

the sad thing is I watched this movie before with mac and izadick. I had to hear from some that you build championship teams by drafting back to back defensive backs at the top of your draft

joe may prove to be a good or even great gm so far I give him a  F

I was 100% for a complete rebuild and the tear down of the roster when I assumed that it was Douglas and Gase working in tandem with Christopher's blessing and support.  To me, it appeared that there was a higher mission here than W's and L's in 2020.  That we had finally put an end to the dysfunction and had a GM and a HC on the same page.  A young GM paired with an experienced Alpha HC to help him transition to the big job.  A patient, 2-3 year rebuild of affordable contracts.  Hallelujah.  

Now, I don't know what the hell they're trying to do.  We've put the fate of the franchise in the hands of a very young, very green GM we hired years before he was ready out of desperation, and now he's on his own, he's got no guidance, he's not in sync with a HC and his owner has shown him that he has no patience and will do whatever the whiny fans want.

I don't view Joe Douglas as progress.  He has the demeanor of Mike Maccagnan, and if he picks a head coach like Arthur Smith who has the demeanor of Todd Bowles, good lord, we are back at 2017 again.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, kmnj said:

drives me crazy when folks say making the jets worse was his plan-it was not

-Joe , gase and the  players all tried to win every game-they did not tank-they just sucked at their jobs across the board-

the entire  year I heard it was to get trevor but we saw what any rationale person knew-no players are going to lose on purpose and neither is a coach-the jets tried and to their credit if you wish they got the wins at the end

Joe's resume so far is 

took a decent roster that was a 6-8 win team and made them  a 2-3 win type of team-this is a fact

we lost talent and replaced them with worse talent-this is a fact

his draft-one player produced becton-the  rest are all hopes and dreams for the future but poor on the field results or even worse never making it to the field

 

 

 

 

 

 

You clearly live in bizarro world. Your grammar is exhibit A of that, lol. 

This team sucked before Douglas got here, and he needed at least 1-2 years to clean up this mess. You want a fact? There's one.

And don't be disingenuous. Becton produced, but so did Mims, Hall, Mann, etc. Heck, Becton and Mims combined are better drafted players than anything the two previous GM's did in their drafts. There's another fact for you.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

You clearly live in bizarro world. Your grammar is exhibit A of that, lol. 

This team sucked before Douglas got here, and he needed at least 1-2 years to clean up this mess. You want a fact? There's one.

And don't be disingenuous. Becton produced, but so did Mims, Hall, Mann, etc. Heck, Becton and Mims combined are better drafted players than anything the two previous GM's did in their drafts. There's another fact for you.

I hate Maccagnan as much as the next guy, but you are already counting Becton and Mims as better than Adams and Leonard Williams?   No ******* way.  Those are two guys on franchise deals.  Teams paid 2 1st rounders and 2 3rd for the privilege of paying those guys.  If somebody offered Douglas that for Becton and Mims I bet he'd jump.  There is still a decent possibility that Maccagnan's last draft is as good as Douglas first.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I hate Maccagnan as much as the next guy, but you are already counting Becton and Mims as better than Adams and Leonard Williams?   No ******* way.  Those are two guys on franchise deals.  Teams paid 2 1st rounders and 2 3rd for the privilege of paying those guys.  If somebody offered Douglas that for Becton and Mims I bet he'd jump.  There is still a decent possibility that Maccagnan's last draft is as good as Douglas first.  

I'm talking about combined, Adams was drafted in 2017 and Q Williams in 2019

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Certainly, but Douglas is here 2 years and made our roster worse than Maccagnan had it.

That's hard to fathom.  But its true.  Douglas has proven that he's good at dismantling a bad roster and making it worse.  His draft feels good but the jury is still out about his ability to court free agents.

SAR I

You keep saying 2 years. He has not had 2 full off seasons to work with, only 1. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I hate Maccagnan as much as the next guy, but you are already counting Becton and Mims as better than Adams and Leonard Williams?   No ******* way.  Those are two guys on franchise deals.  Teams paid 2 1st rounders and 2 3rd for the privilege of paying those guys.  If somebody offered Douglas that for Becton and Mims I bet he'd jump.  There is still a decent possibility that Maccagnan's last draft is as good as Douglas first.  

Leonard Williams has 1 good year, not even great, and now he's a franchise player? 

And Jamal Adam's proved what many here have been saying. You don't pay his position big bucks. If there is any evidence of that, look at his lack of impact in the Rams game. Seattle was crazy to give up what they did. I'm sure they'd rather have the 23rd pick back to select an OL or edge 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Leonard Williams has 1 good year, not even great, and now he's a franchise player? 

And Jamal Adam's proved what many here have been saying. You don't pay his position big bucks. If there is any evidence of that, look at his lack of impact in the Rams game. Seattle was crazy to give up what they did. I'm sure they'd rather have the 23rd pick back to select an OL or edge 

I feel like he meant Quinnen Williams, but could be wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

You keep saying 2 years. He has not had 2 full off seasons to work with, only 1. 

Thank you. I was getting irritated 😤 

no doubt though this time next year we will have a lot of data to judge jd by. Im trying to be optimistic here

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Thank you. I was getting irritated 😤 

no doubt though this time next year we will have a lot of data to judge jd by. Im trying to be optimistic here

Agreed. I also don't disagree with JDs lack of moves except maybe not getting Conklin (and who knows, Conklin might've told JD he's not interested). 

But if more of the same transpires this off season and we don't get some OL help and JDs draft picks don't pan out, I'll be right there with @SAR I asking what has JD done to improve this team

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rayzor said:

supposedly, the GM (Ed Dodds)  Saleh wanted to work with will not be hired in Detroit.  

Yep..... Detroit gets 2 #3 picks for hiring a well qualified African American. Hey JD what have you gotten us?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

OK, you now trumped the worlds worst post before this one.  

I'd love to have been there when this pencil pushing scout, the smart nerd sent your boy Gase packing with a kick to the ass while the door slammed behind him.  

He’s the guy that gets super annoyed when some “nerd” like me presents some data to the contrary of his feelings. Deal with this type of older surgeon type all the time. So far my data has sent them packing and improved patient outcomes. The old concept of the “alpha” has been thoroughly disproven, but I’m not surprised it’s mythology persists in a sport like football. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheMo said:

He’s the guy that gets super annoyed when some “nerd” like me presents some data to the contrary of his feelings. Deal with this type of older surgeon type all the time. So far my data has sent them packing and improved patient outcomes. The old concept of the “alpha” has been thoroughly disproven, but I’m not surprised it’s mythology persists in a sport like football. 

Nerds rock

 

Mike D Nerds GIF by Beastie Boys

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yep..... Detroit gets 2 #3 picks for hiring a well qualified African American. Hey JD what have you gotten us?

Blaming JD for not developing minority executives in one year that teams want to poach away? Lmao

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yep..... Detroit gets 2 #3 picks for hiring a well qualified African American. Hey JD what have you gotten us?

It's actually the team that helps to develop the minority coaches and executives that get the comp picks.  So in this case, the Rams will get the picks.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

It's actually the team that helps to develop the minority coaches and executives that get the comp picks.  So in this case, the Rams will get the picks.

Wow. Rich get richer

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, rayzor said:

It's actually the team that helps to develop the minority coaches and executives that get the comp picks.  So in this case, the Rams will get the picks.

yeah, it's an effed up rule.  If we hire someone from Patriots or Dolphins for example, they get two 3rd rounders.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yep..... Detroit gets 2 #3 picks for hiring a well qualified African American. Hey JD what have you gotten us?

Actually they dont.

They only get picks for developing a minority candidate 

Even so how do you blame a 1 year exec?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dcJet said:

yeah, it's an effed up rule.  If we hire someone from Patriots or Dolphins for example, they get two 3rd rounders.

 

and if we develop minority coaches and front office personnel and they get hired, we get picks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

 

and if we develop minority coaches and front office personnel and they get hired, we get picks.  

yep, head coach or GM.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-just-earned-two-extra-draft-picks-thanks-to-a-new-nfl-rule-and-the-saints-could-be-next/#:~:text=According to multiple reports%2C Holmes,second one coming in 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually they dont.

They only get picks for developing a minority candidate 

Even so how do you blame a 1 year exec?

I don’t... just having some fun 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dcJet said:

yeah, it's an effed up rule.  If we hire someone from Patriots or Dolphins for example, they get two 3rd rounders.

Screw that! Obviously wasn’t in play when Flores was hired. Must be new. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Certainly, but Douglas is here 2 years and made our roster worse than Maccagnan had it.

That's hard to fathom.  But its true.  Douglas has proven that he's good at dismantling a bad roster and making it worse.  His draft feels good but the jury is still out about his ability to court free agents.

SAR I

Jeez, he had 1 draft. 1 and he made the roster worse. Cmon worse how. We lost the all worlds talent of Robbie Anderson, he was taking us to Tampa this year. Jamal. 1 and out Cheap shot Jamal ok.  Talk to me after this draft. We were set back by the coffee drinkin fool and his crazy eyed genius   
Give Douglas a shot. And sell your BMW. Anyone can own one now. They not special, they’re ordinary. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Some of you don’t understand what a true tear down is. Douglass is making this his team.  He signed as many players he could last year to one year contracts to set himself up for possibly the biggest free agency year in history from the cap casualties about to hit the market.  He gave himself the second most cap space in the league as a result.  He traded away assets to get multiple high draft picks. He made the roster bad enough to secure a top 3 pick. This is a blueprint for other organizations in the future who want to turn things around.  

Jets and Jacksonville did the same thing this year. Shocking that people don't understand the process. What better year to do this then during Covid and with Gase? 

This is how you rebuild a Franchise properly. Its the reason why Jacksonville got Urban Myer and its the reason why the Dolphins got soo good so quick. 

What people don't understand is this is a top 2 opening right now. We don't have to rush to sign a guy bc we will get our choice of HC after the chargers. About time we have a proper coach search that will end with us getting exactly who we want (after Chargers). 

Douglas has us in a great position. With all this cap space its going to be a great offseason. Sit back, drink a bourbon and enjoy the process. Outside of picking a QB that bust terribly at 2 were looking pretty these next few years. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...