Urban Meyer talking to Chargers - why not Jets?

1 minute ago, WowOhWow said:

Urban is now linked to Jags and Bolts.  Why not us? 

Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence & owner willing to throw big bucks
Chargers: Justin Herbert
Jets: Sam Darnold + ultra cheap owner

• Upvote 3

Can somebody update the present state of liquidness at 1 Jets Drive? 

Is it moist, damp, dripping, oozing, gushing, squirting, flowing or spritzing yet?

• Haha 2

We aren't as sure a deal would be my guess.  Meyer doesn't want to make a huge commitment to a rebuild.  And wants the franchise easiest to turn around.  Herbert's presence is huge and they have some key pieces on defense.  Murray is going to be a Pro Bowler eventually.  He's a future star to go along with Bose and the rest.

6 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Too cold in NY.

He has super long nipples and is afraid of the cold weather for sure. He makes his WRs run sprints attached to his nipples for extra resistance. A truly innovative coach. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think the Jets would give him the money and power he'd want and I doubt Urban would want anything to do with the NY media.

I wouldn't be surprised if talking to the Chargers was really just for leverage on Jacksonville anyway.

Eh, I don't know if I'd rule out the Chargers as a destination. Warm weather/climate, franchise QB in Herbert it looks like, good pieces there already, and an owner that would pay.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think the Jets would give him the money and power he'd want and I doubt Urban would want anything to do with the NY media.

I wouldn't be surprised if talking to the Chargers was really just for leverage on Jacksonville anyway.

You could argue that the Chargers are actually a better job than the Jaguars. 

• Upvote 3

If he's going to take a shot at the NFL, it's going to be with a team that has a QB. He's not stupid.

Why run the risk of going to the Jets and possibly spending 4 years trying to find a QB? 

With the Jaguars, he probably believes in Trevor Lawrence. 

With the Chargers, everyone knows how good Herbert was as a rookie.

With the Jets, you have a 3 year starter who doesn't look like the answer. The consensus in the industry seems to be that after Lawrence, there is a big gap in QB talent. Most believe Lawrence is a sure thing to be a good player. With Fields and Wilson, it's more about development, etc.

Why would he be interested in the Jets? 

He has a massive ego.  You turn the Jets around you've basically climbed the mountain.  If ever there was a time in recent memory to take this job this is it.  You don't like Darnold...go get another QB.  You like Darnold, go build with the abundance of resources.  Plenty of reasons.  Khan is crazy.  He wants to be the GM.  His son is also heavily involved.  Chargers are a great destination.  No doubt.  But dealing with Mahomes every year makes it very hard.  AFC East is at least wide open.

That's why he'd be interested.  His $12M price tag is why we might not be interested.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If he's going to take a shot at the NFL, it's going to be with a team that has a QB. He's not stupid.

Why run the risk of going to the Jets and possibly spending 4 years trying to find a QB? 

With the Jaguars, he probably believes in Trevor Lawrence. 

With the Chargers, everyone knows how good Herbert was as a rookie.

With the Jets, you have a 3 year starter who doesn't look like the answer. The consensus in the industry seems to be that after Lawrence, there is a big gap in QB talent. Most believe Lawrence is a sure thing to be a good player. With Fields and Wilson, it's more about development, etc.

Why would he be interested in the Jets? 

Honestly, what QB's has Meyer developed ? The only one that did squat was Alex Smith, and it wasn't until Harbough got him. He was horrible when he got into the NFL.

4 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I don't see the great loss in Meyer. Some of the best college coaches fail miserably in the NFL.

Does he even have a clean bill of health ?

Who was the most successful coach to spend most of his career in the college and then make a SB.  Bobby Ross?

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Honestly, what QB's has Meyer developed ? The only one that did squat was Alex Smith, and it wasn't until Harbough got him. He was horrible when he got into the NFL.

Good point. All the more reason for him to avoid the Jets. 

• Like 1

Easy. Chargers and Jags both have a more appealing job.

The Jets might be 3rd. But there’s a drop off there. A good coach can probably have that Chargers team in the playoffs next year. 

• Upvote 1

Jags and Chargers post moving to LA are no pressure spots. Their game day situations with fans is about the same with or without Covid restrictions. He's got health problems and the NY market would kill him within a year. Might as well get paid to retire in nice weather