Trade Down Mock

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If he doesn't like Wilson or Fields at #2 I think he's trading down rather than taking Sewell.  JMHO.

If he can trade down to get a couple more early picks this year AND another #1 next year then that's great.  It would let him punt the QB situation another year and have THREE #1 picks next year to maneuver for a QB if he wants, or trade for one.

I don't  know much about Slater. Is he that good?

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

LoL,

It means Douglas isn't  impressed with these QB's. It might happen but I doubt it.

As long as it's because of that and not -- as some here suggest -- the Jets aren't "ready" for a FQB. 

If indeed he doesn't like the current crop, he does need a QB plan. I can't imagine self-preservation will allow him to roll into 2021 with Darnold as unquestioned starter.

• Upvote 3

There's only one trade down scenario I envision happening with the #2 overall pick. The Jets moving from #2 to #3 with the Dolphins so they can take Sewell. Even that trade is not very likely because the Jets would A. Have to hold on to Darnold or sign another vet QB capable of starting. or B. Convince the Dolphins that they are actually considering taking Sewell. 

Bottom line, JD will take a QB at #2 or #3. JMHO. Wilson or Fields. Probably Fields. But I don't really know- just assuming Wilson's shoulder and hand injuries will be a red flag. Hopefully we can squeeze an extra pick out of Miami and still get our QB.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

As long as it's because of that and not -- as some here suggest -- the Jets aren't "ready" for a FQB. 

If indeed he doesn't like the current crop, he does need a QB plan. I can't imagine self-preservation will allow him to roll into 2021 with Darnold as unquestioned starter.

As I have said before, it would take a miracle for Sam to play so well, the Jets would feel comfortable  going long term with him but if Douglas doesn't  like what he sees in the draft, I don't  see anything wrong with going with Sam for another year. It might be the first year we actually get a normal evaluation  of the guy. Mono and pandemic seasons are not really what anyone should  be judged by. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, PepPep said:

There's only one trade down scenario I envision happening with the #2 overall pick. The Jets moving from #2 to #3 with the Dolphins so they can take Sewell. Even that trade is not very likely because the Jets would A. Have to hold on to Darnold or sign another vet QB capable of starting. or B. Convince the Dolphins that they are actually considering taking Sewell. 

Bottom line, JD will take a QB at #2 or #3. JMHO. Wilson or Fields. Probably Fields. But I don't really know- just assuming Wilson's shoulder and hand injuries will be a red flag. Hopefully we can squeeze an extra pick out of Miami and still get our QB.  

Yeah problem is Fins probably want Sewell. I guess they'd have to have a gentleman's agreement that Sewell is off their board in order for it to happen.

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

As I have said before, it would take a miracle for Sam to play so well, the Jets would feel comfortable  going long term with him but if Douglas doesn't  like what he sees in the draft, I don't  see anything wrong with going with Sam for another year. It might be the first year we actually get a normal evaluation  of the guy. Mono and pandemic seasons are not really what anyone should  be judged by. 

If we keep Sam, JD has to make a vet acquisition. It's basically mandatory. Look for a Tyrod Taylor/Trubisky/Minshew type.

In this scenario, I hope it's Trubisky. He will Tannehill Darnold by week 6, if he doesn't win the job outright.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

If we keep Sam, JD has to make a vet acquisition. It's basically mandatory. Look for a Tyrod Taylor/Trubisky/Minshew type.

In this scenario, I hope it's Trubisky. He will Tannehill Darnold by week 6, if he doesn't win the job outright.

What is the point of bringing any of them in if you are not going to go long term with them? We are going to draft a new QB if not this year, next year for sure. There is nonway Sam gets a new contract from us and I doubt any of the QB's except maybe Taylor who's career is pretty much over takes a 1 year deal. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What is the point of bringing any of them in if you are not going to go long term with them? We are going to draft a new QB if not this year, next year for sure. There is nonway Sam gets a new contract from us and I doubt any of the QB's except maybe Taylor who's career is pretty much over takes a 1 year deal. 

Because then you have 2 bites in the turnaround lottery instead of one. 

Plus JD has a career to think about. Right now, JD doesn't own Darnold. He goes into 2021 with Darnold and guys like Flacco and Morgan behind him, he does.

35 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-first-round-rolfe-january/2/

Jets get 2 #1's, 2 #2's and a little more for swapping picks with Carolina. 

2 OL selected in the first round. 

I would say there a little chance this happens  but I would love to see the Jets continue to solidify the OL this way and keep adding high draft picks.

I like the trade but not the picks projected.

Take a weapon at #8, probably a WR.  Take a C either with the late first (Creed?) or early 2nd, maybe after a minor trade back (Myers?).  With the other...?

I'd try to nab a good RT prospect in the 3rd or 4th round. A new C upgrades two spots on the line at once.  RT can wait a bit.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Dude, next year we will still suck.

we suck again GIF

Probably. But imagine you are a GM and you just had a season with the league's worst rated QB. You go into next season with the status quo and no backup plan whatsoever and one of the QBs you passed on is looking like the guy? Whooo boy. "Hey boss, the results were always gonna suck anyway," are words I hope to never say to my boss.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Probably. But imagine you are a GM and you just had a season with the league's worst rated QB. You go into next season with the status quo and no backup plan whatsoever and one of the QBs you passed on is looking like the guy? Whooo boy. "Hey boss, the results were always gonna suck anyway," are words I hope to never say to my boss.

Who's to say there's not a better QB prospect next year?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Probably. But imagine you are a GM and you just had a season with the league's worst rated QB. You go into next season with the status quo and no backup plan whatsoever. "Hey boss, the results were always gonna suck anyway," are words I hope to never say to my boss.

The team, even with Lawrence would be a 5 win team IMO. 

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The team, even with Lawrence would be a 5 win team IMO. 

Surprisingly, I am more optimistic. A first, right? If we get a QB that can put up at or even within the realm of NFL-average numbers, our current weapseoinz are going to surprise a lot of people. I actually think the defense is farther from being "fixed" than our offense. If we move on from Darnold, I'll go so far as to predict without knowing who the next QB or HC will be that our offense will be higher ranked than our defense next year in a majority of relevant measures.

57 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-first-round-rolfe-january/2/

Jets get 2 #1's, 2 #2's and a little more for swapping picks with Carolina. 

2 OL selected in the first round. 

I would say there a little chance this happens  but I would love to see the Jets continue to solidify the OL this way and keep adding high draft picks.

How about asking Carolina for Anderson in that deal, if they're really QB hungry. That would make your 1st rd more reasonable. Otherwise i can't see how we can pass on Davonte Smith. We need a WR badly. And he''s the best one in the draft.

Like the value of the trade and keeping us in the top 10 on a trade down.

Big supporter of kicking the can down the road on QB until next year (in the draft at least, we def need to bring in a vet). 

Soured on Wyatt Davis, even before the injury, after I saw him get used pass blocking several times on Monday night. Probably an overreaction, but still I might be looking elsewhere.