Trade Down Mock

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I'm fine with the trade down and fine with taking wyatt davis with the seattle pick, i am not okay taking slater with our top pick.

I would be enraged at passing on Pitts, D smith and waddle for another tackle.

Yea that's nuts to pass on those 3 when you can probably get Slater with the 2nd pick in the 1st.

11 minutes ago, genot said:

How about asking Carolina for Anderson in that deal, if they're really QB hungry. That would make your 1st rd more reasonable. Otherwise i can't see how we can pass on Davonte Smith. We need a WR badly. And he''s the best one in the draft.

That ship has sailed.  What did Anderson do for Carolina anyway? They were not picking 8th because they were good. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

That ship has sailed.  What did Anderson do for Carolina anyway? They were not picking 8th because they were good. 

So Anderson stinks because Carolina is picking 8th but Darnold might still be good. C'mon now.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Their best player was injured for 14 games. Their quarterback was Teddy Bridgewater and their defense is young. 

They were in a lot of games late and I think they performed better than expected considering the circumstances. 

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Im not saying Anderson, and Anderson alone. Jeez. Part of a big package. Can you imagine a tbree WR setup with Robinson, Mims, and Anderson.

55 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Was this @Defense Wins Championshipsafter we beat the Rams or @SAR I after we fired Gase?

Definitely me after losing out on the #1 overall pick and TL. 

Rooting against the Jets for TL ended up taking a lot of energy out of me as a fan to the point of not wanting to post as much anymore; I need a mental Jets break I'm sure I'll get more excited again come the draft etc

• Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Definitely me after losing out on the #1 overall pick and TL. 

Rooting against the Jets for TL ended up taking a lot of energy out of me as a fan to the point of not wanting to post as much anymore; I need a mental Jets break I'm sure I'll get more excited again come the draft etc

Don't go full nico bro. It's not worth it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-first-round-rolfe-january/2/

Jets get 2 #1's, 2 #2's and a little more for swapping picks with Carolina. 

2 OL selected in the first round. 

I would say there a little chance this happens  but I would love to see the Jets continue to solidify the OL this way and keep adding high draft picks.

Lots OL to pick and No QB. Got it.

• Haha 1

I wouldn’t want to double dip at OL in the first; get a PR, WR, or TE with the Seattle pick!

However, Slater would be an incredible pick at #8 (CAR) or #12 (SF).  He’s not that far off from Sewell, and if you can get him and pick up an additional 1st (2022) and two 2’s, it’s a no brainer. 
This is a deep class for skill players and free agency will be plum full of them. 

If you watch him play, he HANDLED Chase Young while playing LT, and can supposedly play all 5 spots on the OL...that gives you versatility AND insurance if Becton gets another “cold.”

Kid is QUICK to the second level (check him at 0:38 below) He’s LT #70 in this game. Imagine playing him at RG or RT after signing Thuney in free agency.  

I firmly believe Joe Douglas will sign Joe Thuney in free agency.  (Apparently, It would’ve happened last year were it not for the 11th hour franchise tag)

Joe Thuney 

draft Rashawn Slater and a C (move McGovern to RG, play Slater at RT).

or, 

draft Rashawn Slater and a RT (play McGovern at C, Slater at RG) 

4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Their best player was injured for 14 games. Their quarterback was Teddy Bridgewater and their defense is young. 

They were in a lot of games late and I think they performed better than expected considering the circumstances. 

They weren't  even close to competitive.  I'm not saying it was Andersons fault but the guy is not a difference maker. 

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'm fine with the trade down and fine with taking wyatt davis with the seattle pick, i am not okay taking slater with our top pick.

I would be enraged at passing on Pitts, D smith and waddle for another tackle.

Waddle? Damaged goods. I'd take anyone healthy over him. 

12 hours ago, BCJet said:

So with the second overall pick and needs at QB, edge and WR we wind up with a RT.

Not great.

In this scenario, I think JD and the fan base is beyond thrilled that Trey Lance is there at 12 and we use our other picks to take Najee, and OL/Edge

And here you highlighted why this mock - and all draft mocks this early - are nonsensical. There is a 0.0% chance the Jets, with the #1 or #2 amount of cap room available, and no must-extend/re-sign major UFAs of its own, head into the draft with the 2020 roster minus its lost FAs.

QB aside, just on offense there is every likelihood that - before the draft - Douglas will sign:

• a minimum of one serious OL FA (maybe two, but the players get to choose their new teams, too + factor in whether he lets Fant’s next guarantee kick in)
  • one of the four serious starter WRs currently slated to be FAs (not merely Perrmian or another similar prayer FA just like him)
  • a veteran RB capable of shouldering at least half the team’s carries, just to not force his hand into an early RB pick despite a superior prospect at another position being available.
  • (TE he could also bring in a relative geezer like Cook or Olsen to swap in for Griffin, if one of them will have us lol. But he already has a stopgap-at-worst starter so I think this is a high target position of his in the draft, no later than day 2, rather than trying for Henry if he’s still available). A day 1-2 rookie TE with Mims & two in-their-prime veterans is a good mix of experience & youth.

As badly as the roster needs to find a lot of good young players from the upcoming 2 drafts, it also badly needs starter-level veterans now. Older but not just old guys, who are still at the top of their game, even if they won’t be with the team past their 1-2 guaranteed-money seasons when these new guys really start to get it.

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And here you highlighted why this mock - and all draft mocks this early - are nonsensical. There is a 0.0% chance the Jets, with the #1 or #2 amount of cap room available, and no must-extend/re-sign major UFAs of its own, head into the draft with the 2020 roster minus its lost FAs.

QB aside, just on offense there is every likelihood that - before the draft - Douglas will sign:

• a minimum of one serious OL FA (maybe two, but the players get to choose their new teams, too + factor in whether he lets Fant’s next guarantee kick in)
  • one of the four serious starter WRs currently slated to be FAs (not merely Perrmian or another similar prayer FA just like him)
  • a veteran RB capable of shouldering at least half the team’s carries, just to not force his hand into an early RB pick despite a superior prospect at another position being available.
  • (TE he could also bring in a relative geezer like Cook or Olsen to swap in for Griffin, if one of them will have us lol. But he already has a stopgap-at-worst starter so I think this is a high target position of his in the draft, no later than day 2, rather than trying for Henry if he’s still available). A day 1-2 rookie TE with Mims & two in-their-prime veterans is a good mix of experience & youth.

As badly as the roster needs to find a lot of good young players from the upcoming 2 drafts, it also badly needs starter-level veterans now. Older but not just old guys, who are still at the top of their game, even if they won’t be with the team past their 1-2 guaranteed-money seasons when these new guys really start to get it.

Agree with all of this, but with a basic addiction: Based upon the Smith and Saleh coaching offensive preferences, the jets will add a RB either in the first couple of rounds are in FA (and I haven't looked at that list). 

Both those apparent offensive strategies rely on play action heavily, and they then fuse the QB into that system.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Agree with all of this, but with a basic addiction: Based upon the Smith and Saleh coaching offensive preferences, the jets will add a RB either in the first couple of rounds are in FA (and I haven't looked at that list). 

Both those apparent offensive strategies rely on play action heavily, and they then fuse the QB into that system.

I don’t doubt that at all, and I’m in favor of such a pick (so long as it’s not their first pick in round 1). I just don’t think they’ll head into the draft with merely 2020’s non-Gore backs so they’re pigeonholed into any pick (particularly within the top 33 overall).

What if there’s a run on RBs in between two Jets picks? No GM (nor his HC) wants the team to force a 3rd round talent RB pick at the very top of round 2 because there’s a gaping hole there for the season, and in doing so passed on far superior prospects who fell after runs at other positions.

RB is also the most injury prone position as it is; many/most rookies hit a wall after 10-12 games if they do stay healthy; plus the rude awakening for any stud college backs when everyone on defense isn’t slow & untalented on a regular basis, like most college opponents they’re used to facing.

jmo

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t doubt that at all, and I’m in favor of such a pick (so long as it’s not their first pick in round 1). I just don’t think they’ll head into the draft with merely 2020’s non-Gore backs so they’re pigeonholed into any pick (particularly within the top 33 overall).

What if there’s a run on RBs in between two Jets picks? No GM (nor his HC) wants the team to force a 3rd round talent RB pick at the very top of round 2 because there’s a gaping hole there for the season, and in doing so passed on far superior prospects who fell after runs at other positions.

RB is also the most injury prone position as it is; many/most rookies hit a wall after 10-12 games if they do stay healthy; plus the rude awakening for any stud college backs when everyone on defense isn’t slow & untalented on a regular basis, like most college opponents they’re used to facing.

jmo

Again, agree with everything, and I feel the same on backs. Just trying to read tea leaves here and prepare the fan base. That also might mean Darnold stays.

I may be entirely wrong.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Again, agree with everything, and I feel the same on backs. Just trying to read tea leaves here and prepare the fan base. That also might mean Darnold stays.

I may be entirely wrong.

I think it’s a 50-50 on Darnold returning, and not to mean duh it’s a binary choice.

I’d be very surprised either way if they didn’t bring in a QB they could start for 16 games. Many fans will scream about the wasted spending to throw like $15MM on Trubisky or Brissett - and maybe they’re right or will be right in hindsight - but don’t be shocked if/when it happens, just so Darnold (or a rookie) isn’t handed a free pass to start the whole season.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it’s a 50-50 on Darnold returning, and not to mean duh it’s a binary choice.

I’d be very surprised either way if they didn’t bring in a QB they could start for 16 games. Many fans will scream about the wasted spending to throw like $15MM on Trubisky or Brissett - and maybe they’re right or will be right in hindsight - but don’t be shocked if/when it happens, just so Darnold (or a rookie) isn’t handed a free pass to start the whole season.

There has to be a cheaper, better option than Trubisky/Brissett after we trade Darnold. Probably not a good idea to throw a rookie out there but it works for some eg. Herbert, Murray among others. 

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

There has to be a cheaper, better option than Trubisky/Brissett after we trade Darnold. Probably not a good idea to throw a rookie out there but it works for some eg. Herbert, Murray among others. 

Works for some, doesn’t work for others. Plus the lack of one forces his hand more, plus he’s got the cap space. Not saying it’ll happen, but no one should be shocked unless he’s dead set on taking a QB that early. Sounds like he isn’t yet, and the next HC and the combine may change or reinforce how he currently feels.